Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-18-08, 04:45 AM   #1
redfishpaddler

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Speedplay Lite Action vs. X5 + titanium knee joints?

I have used Frogs in the past, and just purchased Speedplay Lite Action Road Pedals at the suggestion of a salesman...am planning to purchase a new road bike. I have OLD knee/tee joints (except for the titanium one).

For those who have used these pedals.......which is best for bum knees? I checked out the Speedplay site and discovered the Lite Action has 15 deg of play.....while the X5 has 20 degrees. Just saw my orthopedist (an elite cyclist) who recommended I continue with pedals with the most play I can find.

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two pedals other than degrees? Lite Action is advertised as an entry level road pedal. Does that mean it is easier to engage/disengage? Do you think an additional 5 degrees at that level of play is signficant?
Many thanks...
Bob
redfishpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 06:59 AM   #2
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You paid your ortho for the answer to that question; go with the pedal that offers the most float and be kind to your knees. Lp
Spinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 04:33 PM   #3
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishpaddler View Post
I have used Frogs in the past, and just purchased Speedplay Lite Action Road Pedals at the suggestion of a salesman...am planning to purchase a new road bike. I have OLD knee/tee joints (except for the titanium one).

For those who have used these pedals.......which is best for bum knees? I checked out the Speedplay site and discovered the Lite Action has 15 deg of play.....while the X5 has 20 degrees. Just saw my orthopedist (an elite cyclist) who recommended I continue with pedals with the most play I can find.

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two pedals other than degrees? Lite Action is advertised as an entry level road pedal. Does that mean it is easier to engage/disengage? Do you think an additional 5 degrees at that level of play is signficant?
Many thanks...
Bob
I would like to know the name address and phone number of your orthopedist if you would care to send a private message. Thank you.