Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Books on Training for the 50+ rider

I've been a commuter, but would like to train for Centuries.

What books do you recommend concerning fitness & diet?

Is "Cycling Past 50" a good place to start?

Michael
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-18-08 at 01:44 PM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling Past 50 is an awesome book. I bought it in 2001 when I was just a kid of 56.
    It's great for training or just learning things "older" cyclists need to know.

A few others I'd recommend are:
    Andy Pruitt's Medical Guide for Cyclists
    Off-Season Training for Roadies
    Last edited by RonH; 09-18-08 at 01:54 PM.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I've been a commuter, but would like to train for Centuries.

Is "Cycling Past 50" a good place to start?

Michael
    Cycling Past 50 is an outstandingly good book, but it's training philosophy (based on Friel) is a bit too "structured" for some.

Another very good book is Bicycling Magazine's Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling. Besides the training stuff, it includes a lot of good info on bike maintenance and prep, gear, food/fuel, etc.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post

Michael
    Many moons ago I bought a book on Mountain biking. Read it once- found nothing new and it is still in the bookcase somewhere.

On fitness- get out and ride. Gradually increase milage and take in a few hills. You will know when the training starts taking effect.

And on Diet- take in more carbohydrates if you don't already. Plenty of pasta- rice- Fruit& nuts and sticky buns and PIE- PIE is good as it does Carbs and fruit. Don't forget protein either and that will help build and repair muscle but forget the 16oz steaks. The body can only assimilate protein in small amounts -if it is to be usefull so a few snacks of cheese- a Boiled egg or a bit of Protein in the pasta.

And if you feel you are overweight and have to diet- DON'T-The change in diet will work if you ride more.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pasta and pie??? Yeah, right...

Most everyone I know who has been successful at losing weight has cut back on carbs, and focused on protein and veggies.

I used to consider carbs an important part of the daily "athlete's diet", and would always include pasta, rice, or bread with dinner. It just seemed natural, because "carbs are our fuel" when we're exercising.

The problem is, carbs are so damned easy to over-consume.

This season, I've cut way back on them, and I'm down to 164 lbs (at 55 years old, and 5' 11"). That's roughly what I weighed in my 20's.

I have no problems with energy levels on the bike, and I'm definitely much faster when climbing hills.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The absolutely best book for both health and endurance nutrition is Ryan's Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes (2nd edition). As they say, the devil is in the details and you might as well avail yourself of the contemporary scientific ones. It makes a big difference.

She writes for Velo news, you can check out some of her articles on their web site.

Al

My Bikes
    Orbea Orca - 2007, Orbea Ordu - 2008, Cervelo P3 track, Santana Sovereign tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought Faster Better Stronger by Eric Heiden and Max Testa. It is not cycling specific, but an excellent back to basics book. Hermes and I met Eric and Max at a book signing at Bicycle Outfitters in Los Altos. They were very approachable and interested in everyone's cycling activities. Highly recommend the book!
    In bocca al lupo!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Cycling Past 50 is an outstandingly good book, but it's training philosophy (based on Friel) is a bit too "structured" for some.
    I was pretty much underwhelmed by this book. Far too structured and technical for my tastes, but it did cover some good concepts. The useful part of the book for me could have been a 20 page booklet.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased Dr. Michael Ross's "Maximun Performance for Cyclist" for only $5 at a booth at a Home and Flower show. The book is easy to understand and adapt to your own goals. The author is able to break down the body's processes during excersize and the effects of different kinds of training to understandable terms. The author also has sample workouts that are adaptable to riders of most any level. I have Friel's book and think it's too complicated and structuerd for someone just getting into goal and improvement plans. I also have the "Biking to 100" book and think that book is too "feel good and generic" without any substance to get better other than the examples written about other riders, but, it's a good start for someone new to riding at our age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out "Bike for Life, How to Ride to 100" by Roy M. Wallack and Bill Katovsky. Lots of advice to keep one biking for life. Training, injury prevention, rehab, diet, bike fit, riding technique and inspirational interviews with bicycle notables and serious but not so notable bicyclists. With a dose of humor thrown in.

2wheelbuzz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelbuzz View Post
    Check out "Bike for Life, How to Ride to 100" by Roy M. Wallack and Bill Katovsky. Lots of advice to keep one biking for life. Training, injury prevention, rehab, diet, bike fit, riding technique and inspirational interviews with bicycle notables and serious but not so notable bicyclists. With a dose of humor thrown in.

2wheelbuzz
    I do like that book and reread sections once in a while. However, it's a mixture of science and folklore, so one should be cautious. The sections written by the bikers are particulary interesting and motivational. Even my "hero", Ned Overend (not a good name for a mountain biker) wrote one. His book and video really kick-started my mountain biking abilities.

He won the first world cross country chamionship in Durango in his late 30's.

Al