Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

ain't go no home!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

ain't go no home!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 08:31 AM
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
The reality of it is that kids who leave home usually return at least once and often more than once.

Especially, the female offspring.

Our 23 y/o has left home several times with the intention of setting the world on fire. She keeps running out of matches and returns home each time that happens.

Last time she moved, we made her take her bedroom furniture with her and we put a pool table in her room.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 09-19-08, 08:41 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are somewhere in the beginning stage of downsizing. I don't contribute too much in our "home decisions" (I believe I'm wise in this matter)and just go with the flow to keep my nose clean. Our youngest is still living at home, he's 24 and just got his first full time job teaching HS biology. I suspect he'll be moving out within the year once his fiscal resourses build and his boredom of living in our home wins out. My wife and I both will be retiring next spring and we do feel that our current home of 3,300 sqft is too big. What I don't understand is that over the past year we've purchased new furniture for rooms that won't exist once we downsize. We also got a new puppy this summer to replace our original dog that died a year ago. Maybe she has a plan for the furniture to go to two different places? I'm really going to have to be a good boy for the next couple months.
Old 09-19-08, 08:47 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dguest
Well I do not know what it was like with kids, never had any, but we do have 4 dogs, But we bought some land out in the middle of no where and let the dogs run when they want and they usually go out for about 10 minutes and return because its too hot for them outside, Damn spoiled dogs that like air conditioning, Guess they are as bad as kids.
I was backing a trailer up to my garage and I left the door open to the house but the screen door closed. One of my dogs must have jumped up and opened the door, and when I got back to the house the door was wide open. Dogs were laying in the doorway, their paws on the threshold, not a single whisker outside. The equivalent of the 40 year old son in the basement who never left in the first place.
Old 09-19-08, 08:57 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
No kids. No house ever and the apartment is only 440 sq feet, the biggest place I've ever had on my own. So I guess I'm not downsizing. My ex got the dogs in the divorce, but the last one just died, as did the spider. So I don't know where that places me.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-19-08, 09:20 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm 52 with a 13 y/o in middle school and a 23 y/o finally settling in to restart his college career at the local Jr. college. I don't worry much about him coming home. He prefers to flop at his mom's house - fewer rules and expectations.

When the young one gets out of High school and goes away to college, I plan to retire, sell the house and follow my young wife and her career, hopefully to places I can do some good riding and build bikes and/or lead tours to give me some spending money.
Old 09-19-08, 11:21 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zoste
Whoa! Congrats, man! I sold my 4,000 square foot seven bedroom monstrosity and close October 15. Moving into a 1200 sq ft 3 bedroom apartment until my youngest gets out of high school in June. Once he's safely tucked away into college (or the Navy ) next fall, I'm bailing out of the rust belt and moving to Arizona.

Life is good!

High Five!
I live in a house that has raised two kids and their mates. 3 bedroom and is valued (Even in this depressed market) at $500,000. So I suppose it makes me a half Millionaire. But trust the Americans to do everything bigger- Our fantastic brick built house with 1/4 acre of garden is only 1,000 square ft.

House means nothing to me but a good sized garden does.

Spike Milligan