Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experience with prednisone?

I posted a few days ago about being diagnosed with myasthenia gravis. Thanks to everybody who responded--treatment's going well, I'm feeling fine and the prognosis is pretty good. You'd rather not have it, but there are a lot of worse things.
    Reason for this post, though, is that I've just started on prednisone, a moderate dose for a couple of weeks, then taper down as far as I can. I know the long-term side effects, and in my case I think it's worth the risk, at least as an experiment. But I'm wondering about the effects on day to day activities, appetite, sleep patterns, whatever. It's a pretty common drug, and I figured there'll be people out there who've taken it. Any comments are welcome--Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with prednisone was that it made me feel like I had way too much caffiene. I ended up having to take some benedryl to help me sleep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First and foremost, I am not in the medical professions and can only
    speak from the viewpoint of a HS educated layman.

My experience is not as a patient, but as a close family member of
    an auto-imune patient. Prednisone did what the Dr. hoped it would each time
    it was prescribed. What I want to relate is an experience that occurred
    the last time it was administered to this family member back in 1997.
    This particular exascerbation had been rather intense and a six week
    dose of Prednisone was prescribed followed by a period of slow withdrawl
    from the drug. During the withdrawl period, the patient's perspective
    of the world and their effect on it got severely warped.

Without going into details their marriage almost ended.

Internet reasearch several years later revealed to them that long,
    large doses can cause ones mind to see things differently from reality.
    I don't know if the drug has been altered any or if more has been learned
    about the effects and I believe this particular side effect is quite rare.

I just warn you that it would be unwise to initiate any relationship changes
    with your freind during or shortly after medication. My family member
    has absolutely no memory of the reality shift, none at all. Many outragous
    statemants were made and a lot of short term plans got canceled and the
    patient couldn't recall any of it. Any relationship change as a result of
    statements that they had made during treatment would have been a major mistake.

I'm sorry that I can not provide any indication as to how it makes one feel
    to take it. Please, don't fear the drug...just remember to be patient and
    understanding with the patient.

Good luck and God Bless
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 09-19-08 at 11:21 PM.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    First and foremost, I am not in the medical professions and can only
    speak from the viewpoint of a HS educated layman.

My experience is not as a patient, but as a close family member of
    an auto-imune patient. Prednisone did what the Dr. hoped it would each time
    it was prescribed. What I want to relate is an experience that occurred
    the last time it was administered to this family member back in 1997.
    This particular exascerbation had been rather intense and a six week
    dose of Prednisone was prescribed followed by a period of slow withdrawl
    from the drug. During the withdrawl period, the patient's perspective
    of the world and their effect on it got severely warped.

Without going into details their marriage almost ended.

Internet reasearch several years later revealed to them that long,
    large doses can cause ones mind to see things differently from reality.
    I don't know if the drug has been altered any or if more has been learned
    about the effects and I believe this particular side effect is quite rare.

I just warn you that it would be unwise to initiate any relationship changes
    with your freind during or shortly after medication. My family member
    has absolutely no memory of the reality shift, none at all. Any relationship
    change as a result of statements that they had made during treatment
    would have been a major mistake.

I'm sorry that I can not provide any indication as to how it makes one feel
    to take it. Please, don't fear the drug...just remember to be patient and
    understanding with the patient.

Good luck and God Bless

It sure changed my state of mind. I was on it for a LONG period of time because of some sinus issues which ended up resulting in surgery. I never felt better in my life. I was unreasonably happy and confident. I was sad when I had to go off it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the report on it- I'll Stay on PIE
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took it once for a difficult asthma bout. I think it was for 10-days - like you, large dose for the first couple of days, then tapered off. It increased my appetite and I felt more bloated. Those were the only negative effects I noted. I'm not a medical professional, but my research seems to show that most problems come form long-term use. Maybe a few days will give your system a shock or boost that it needs without causing other problems. I wouldn't take it for long or often.
    John

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take prednisone occasionally for severe reactions to poison ivy. My only side effects have been a temporary weight gain and a bloated feeling.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1985 Miyata 210, 2003 Giant NRS 3, 1991 Trek 7000, 1988 KHS Montana Crest, 1994 GT Outpost, 2001 Schwinn Mesa GSX, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 2001 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took it for about 6 months for a crohns flare-up. Like a couple others mentioned, it stimulated my appetite, and made me feel a little bloated. The more serious side effects are mostly related to long term use of a heavy dose. You should not have any problems with short term use. It is a very commonly prescribed drug, used for a whole host of ailments, and very few people have serious problems with it. The reason doctors prescribe it is because it works. Just take it and taper off according to the instructions, and you most likely will not have any problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a 6-week round of it back in the 80s for an eye condition. I gained weight, lost energy, was bloated, and my skin got dry and flaky (I was a greasy faced teenager so this was dramatic). All that was resolved when I was taken off the prednisone, although the weight took a long time to loose. But that probably had more to do with continuing to be inactive and eating more than I should have.

Altered reality episodes did not happen with me, and I've never heard of that before.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It literally drove my wife "up the wall" and made long-term personality changes. Just one dose.

We ended up with a psychologist, psychiatrist and drugs to get her back to normal. She still sees the psychiatrist occasionally. All paid for privately.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bloat and heartburn for me.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's just for a short period as you say, you may not experience anything unusual at all, or you may get some of the immediate high-dose side effects, most commonly shakiness, maybe a feeling of being unusually wired. It can certainly interfere with sleep, that's for sure. Often it can make you feel more hungry than usual. But it's probably not long enough for any of the longer term adverse effects.

When they tell you to take it with food, do that. It's very important.

I've been on prednisone for over 2 years, myself and I know tons of other people who are or have been on it. I was also on it short term like for a week at a time for allergic reactions some years ago, so I've pretty much seen it all.

In the longer term, it does tend to cause or at least encourage loss of muscle mass (prednisone is a catabolic steroid, the opposite of performance-enhancing anabolic steroids), so it's not the best thing for cyclists, but you do what you have to do.
    Last edited by Longfemur; 09-22-08 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arrrgghhh! Not prednisone!

Nasty stuff for me. Doctor prescribed it for ulnar nerve neuropathy. Same kind of thing with a lot of doses tapering off after a month.

Worst stuff he could have prescribed...ended up with successful surgery anyway.

My wife could not stand me on that stuff, it altered my personality that much. Gained weight, nervous, you name it!

Never, never again...

Good luck on your mg....

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took it once a month as part of chemotherapy for about 6 months, back in 1991-92. For that week my appetite increased, and I gained weight. Had a shot of it for sun poisoning a few years later with the same results.

I recall my voice got husky too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on massive doses for a short period of time to try to deal with what turned out to be a badly herniated disc. At max dose, I wound up at the emergency room with convulsions. It is a very powerful drug. Use with caution.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on Dose-Paks treating cerebral edema. It was very necessary but I am glad it was just short-term.

I am definitely a night-owl and normally it's a struggle getting me out of bed in the morning. Things like getting to work on time just don't seem important, being hungry or thirsty isn't enough reason. It's a good thing my house hasn't caught fire as I would probably try just burying my head under the pillow. Fortunately a full bladder does get me out of bed.

On the prednisone, I was blasting out of bed at 6AM to fix breakfast, which ended up being twice normal size portions. And it was also "First Breakfast"; by 7AM I was ready for "Second Breakfast". My appetite was ginormous.

It also jacked with my heartrate. My resting pulse went up 20 beats/minute so it never got below 80 and was normally 80-100 bpm.

Oh yeah, I gained a lot of weight in just that short time.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All common side effects of Prednisone. Steroids are great drugs when you need them, but the side effects are significant.

Just be glad you don't have a chronic disease like COPD or lupus, where you often have to take Prednisone for the rest of your life.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hurt my stomach so bad that it wasn't worth taking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did my back in a while ago, a few years after I had surgery on it, and I was put on prednisone for a short time. The first 24 hrs I was love'n it! Wow! I felt like I had hyper spidey senses and was on top of the world. After 24hrs I hated it. I was wound up, slept crappy and was thrilled to get off of it. BTW, it did work well on the back pain.

My wife has battled Multiple Sclerosis for over 20 yrs. Typical protocol is large doses of prednisone during episodes. It works very well at controlling the episodes but it is not a pleasant drug to live with. Typical symptoms for her, hyper, inability to focus, tired, but can't sleep. Sleep comes in two hour blocks for my wife, if she is lucky. She is about to finish up on the latest round and is tapering off, she can't wait till it is over.

Bottom line, the drug works, but not without side effects.

Best of luck. Listen to your doc and ask lots of questions.

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent you a PM
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took it for recurrent hives about 2 years ago. Bloat, heartburn (pretty bad at times), trouble sleeping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one last thought,

HI,
    I was having some pretty sever symptoms that were due to some meds I was on,
    If your taking a drug like Lipitor, it can mimic serious neuroligical problems, i was having trouble walking and climbing stairs.
    Many Doctors forget that some people react to those class of drugs with a muscle problem.Many of the test come back positive for muscle damage cause the med causes it if a few people.They black boxed labeled many of the cholesterol drug in Canada but the drug lobbies in the US are to strong , and the buckets of money they make off the drug.
    remember there are many names and types of statins all are becoming suspect.

Doug
    http://www.drug-injury.com/druginjur..._canada_a.html

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/early_c...imvastatin.htm
    Last edited by djnzlab1; 01-29-09 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took it off and on for about 20 years, for severe asthma attacks. Good news is that I'm still alive. Bad news is that at one point I was 100 lbs overweight. I've lost a lot since then, but I still have about 40 to go.

It really exacerbates the appetite. Be warned!
    Rip Van Winkle went to sleep for twenty years, and when he woke up, all the bicycles had changed!

Santana Tandem, Cannondale racing bike, Centurion Super LeMans, Bianchi Limited, Nishiki International, Diamondback Ascent, CW Racing MTB, Schwinn Traveller, Union Flyer St. Croix, American Eagle Tourist 10, 2 Dahon folders, Equinox trailer