Hi to all
I have recently put my old '61 Schwinn Panther paperbike back on the road after many years in storage and as a result am now enthusiastic about riding again. The one speed Schwinn of course does not like to go up hills, of which there are many where I live.
I have been researching new bikes online and would appreciate advice on a bike with the following requirements:
1. Comfort. Must have an upright stance and compatible with street clothes. No lycra.
2. Versatility. Will be ridden 75% of the time on bike paths or streets, but also would like the capability of gravel and dirt roads, such as forest service roads, fire roads, etc.
3. Simplicity. Would prefer an internal geared hub, or only a rear derailleur, but this may not be compatible with item 4.
4. Gearing, specifically a low enough gear to climb steep paved roads and negotiate dirt roads.
5. Price, preferably under $500.
I am not interested in speed, going up a ski lift and riding back down a trail, or any type of "technical" riding. I would like to be able to carry some gear, such as a cooler and fishing pole, and prefer wide (at least 1.75") tires.
As of now, I am looking at the Giant Sedona or Schwinn Sierra as possibilities.
Thanks for the help!
Here's a picture of the Schwinn, for a little nostalgia: