Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What I learned today on my first solo 50-mile ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What I learned today on my first solo 50-mile ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger63
route maps..
The absolute reason to join a cycling club.
Even if you never ride a mile with them the fact that someone went to the effort to check out the roads for those ride maps they've made makes the membership worthwhile.
A good many clubs have stop points on the ride maps (stop points=the good probabliity of a resturant or corner store etc.)
The really, really, really SAD thing is that I was using my club ride map! I am just a terrible map reader! I will never forgot the cue sheet again! The only rest stop on the map was at a really neat cafe and I did stop there. And rested, and rested, and rested, and fueled up, and drank up

I am so learning!

(By the way, If it weren't for the Verizon Navigator on my cell phone I probably wouldn't even be able to get to the start point for groups rides when I want to join the ride!)
Old 09-22-08, 07:19 PM
Road Nazi Hunter

Bikes: Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on the 50 miler. Riding that kind of distance alone really shows off your depth. Very few people your age could even consider that kind of mileage. (oh, this is the 50+ forum.) Great run, experiment with everything looking for more comfort. The better you feel on the bike, the more you will ride it, the faster you will go. Know that everybody falls once in awhile when clipped in. Any unexpected action can cause an infraction. Don't let it bother you. As you ride more, you will have fewer experiences like this, but know that they happen.