Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new bike Part II

So when I bought mine my wife started cranking and wanted in on the action too. Here's what I got her. I'm thinking this one is about '83-'84 vintage based on the components. Am I close? We usually don't get snow here much before December so we should be able to get in some good miles until then.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! The crankset looks like the 1980 Ofmega CX which came with my Bianchi, and the rear derailleur might be a Campagnolo 980 (reportedly so named because of its introduction date). You may be able to find date codes on the cranks, the derailleurs, or even the brake calipers.

For safety's sake, swap in some salmon KoolStop brake pads and low-compression brake cable housings.

If your wife has any trouble on hills, you can probably go to a slightly larger freewheel, perhaps up to 28T. The inner chainring is already at minimum size for your bolt circle diameter (144mm?), but if you swap in a compact double with a 110mm BCD, you could drop as low as 34T in front.
    Last edited by John E; 09-21-08 at 08:18 AM.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a bike that old it looks well maintained- but Just a couple of points that will be pertinent to all old bikes that you do not know the history of.

Get the wheels into a wheel builder to get the spokes retensioned and the wheel trued. I have to do this every couple of years on my bikes so get them checked out before riding too far and having a problem occur.

And as John said- check the rubber. Not only the Brake blocks- The tyres and tubes aswell.

But Hope the wife enjoys the bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Really nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the comments. The crank is Legnano but if I'm not mistaken they were owned by Bianchi so it could very well be that. Derailleurs are Campagnolo Nuovo Record. It's actually better than well maintained, the entire bike is NOS, tires and brake pads are in like new condition.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great find!
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"