Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Cyclometer set-up instructions (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/468158-cyclometer-set-up-instructions.html)

VicM 09-21-08 12:42 PM

Cyclometer set-up instructions

Friends,

Which cyclometer company has easy to follow instructions? The Sigma almost drove me crazy trying to program it. Is Cateye easier to follow? I know I'm at fault for not being digital, but I want a cyclometer for under fifty bucks that has cadence and that I can program without another case of apoplexy. Any help much appreciated! VicM

Cyclist0094 09-21-08 01:09 PM

I have a cateye on two of my bikes, (a hare-lip on the other) just do a roll-out of the wheel and enter the numbers. Cateye has their instructions online http://www.cateye.com/en/manuals/66

Louis 09-21-08 01:18 PM

I have had success with Cateye instructions, and I'm not one to succeed easily with things of this nature.

alcanoe 09-21-08 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by VicM (Post 7512988)
Friends,

Which cyclometer company has easy to follow instructions? The Sigma almost drove me crazy trying to program it. Is Cateye easier to follow? I know I'm at fault for not being digital, but I want a cyclometer for under fifty bucks that has cadence and that I can program without another case of apoplexy. Any help much appreciated! VicM

It's definitely not your fault. I have BEE and a masters in engineering science and they often leave me stumped. Of course I could be stupid.

Both mine are Cateye, but I'm not impressed with the instructions. Way too complicated, but you'll eventually figure them out.

Heart rate monitors are worse. I just upgraded mine. I downloaded the manuals of all those I was considering and studied them. It was the only way I could tell what they actually did and if I was willing to try to operate them.

Kudos to Garmin as I not only bought their monitor, but a GPS receiver as well.

You might consider downloading the cyclometer manuals and see which seem the best.

Al

stapfam 09-21-08 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 7513124)
I have had success with Cateye instructions, and I'm not one to succeed easily with things of this nature.

Have used Cateye for years and no problems---Till I change the batteries- then "Where are the Destructions". Now have got a drawer in a fileing cabinet for all those silly bits of paper that come with new things.

Funny thing is that I got a Garmin 305 earlier this year- No set up problems on this at all. All the menus come up and you press buttons to Y or N. Never had to reset anything on it since I got it.

cranky old dude 09-21-08 02:00 PM

Cateye here. Their instructions are on-line which is beneficial
to folks like me with failing eyesight. The in-the-box instructions
are an eye-test at best.

alcanoe 09-21-08 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 7513244)
Funny thing is that I got a Garmin 305 earlier this year- No set up problems on this at all. All the menus come up and you press buttons to Y or N. Never had to reset anything on it since I got it.

It was the Garmin 305 (Forerunner) that I was referencing in my post. It proves that devices can be designed to be user friendly. A few extra buttons as in the 305 facilitates an easier menue structure is my theory.

Al

bmorey 09-22-08 01:48 AM

I've got a Sigma. The programming isn't so bad -- it's the truly awful instruction booklet. Really hard to follow. If they'd put all the English instructions together in a single section it would probably be readable.

Juha 09-22-08 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by bmorey (Post 7516522)
I've got a Sigma. The programming isn't so bad -- it's the truly awful instruction booklet. Really hard to follow. If they'd put all the English instructions together in a single section it would probably be readable.

I've had a couple of Sigmas and I agree wholeheartedly. It was several years ago, and it's sad if they have not managed to improve the booklet since then. But I've had good e-mail exchanges with their customer service when needed.

--J

lbear 09-22-08 02:14 AM

I have Sigmas on 3 bikes and a Blackburn on the 4th. The instruction book for the Sigma is terrible the Blackburn was a little better. Thank goodness for a my LBS for the set up instructions.

RonH 09-22-08 06:39 AM

I've had Vetta computers on my bikes - RT77, RT88, V100. Easy to program and easy to read.