My Bikes
    Bianchi Europa, Trek 920, Cannondale RS500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyclometer set-up instructions

Friends,

Which cyclometer company has easy to follow instructions? The Sigma almost drove me crazy trying to program it. Is Cateye easier to follow? I know I'm at fault for not being digital, but I want a cyclometer for under fifty bucks that has cadence and that I can program without another case of apoplexy. Any help much appreciated! VicM

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cateye on two of my bikes, (a hare-lip on the other) just do a roll-out of the wheel and enter the numbers. Cateye has their instructions online http://www.cateye.com/en/manuals/66

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had success with Cateye instructions, and I'm not one to succeed easily with things of this nature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VicM View Post
    Friends,

Which cyclometer company has easy to follow instructions? The Sigma almost drove me crazy trying to program it. Is Cateye easier to follow? I know I'm at fault for not being digital, but I want a cyclometer for under fifty bucks that has cadence and that I can program without another case of apoplexy. Any help much appreciated! VicM
    It's definitely not your fault. I have BEE and a masters in engineering science and they often leave me stumped. Of course I could be stupid.

Both mine are Cateye, but I'm not impressed with the instructions. Way too complicated, but you'll eventually figure them out.

Heart rate monitors are worse. I just upgraded mine. I downloaded the manuals of all those I was considering and studied them. It was the only way I could tell what they actually did and if I was willing to try to operate them.

Kudos to Garmin as I not only bought their monitor, but a GPS receiver as well.

You might consider downloading the cyclometer manuals and see which seem the best.

Al

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I have had success with Cateye instructions, and I'm not one to succeed easily with things of this nature.
    Have used Cateye for years and no problems---Till I change the batteries- then "Where are the Destructions". Now have got a drawer in a fileing cabinet for all those silly bits of paper that come with new things.

Funny thing is that I got a Garmin 305 earlier this year- No set up problems on this at all. All the menus come up and you press buttons to Y or N. Never had to reset anything on it since I got it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cateye here. Their instructions are on-line which is beneficial
    to folks like me with failing eyesight. The in-the-box instructions
    are an eye-test at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Funny thing is that I got a Garmin 305 earlier this year- No set up problems on this at all. All the menus come up and you press buttons to Y or N. Never had to reset anything on it since I got it.
    It was the Garmin 305 (Forerunner) that I was referencing in my post. It proves that devices can be designed to be user friendly. A few extra buttons as in the 305 facilitates an easier menue structure is my theory.

Al

My Bikes
    Giant CRX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Sigma. The programming isn't so bad -- it's the truly awful instruction booklet. Really hard to follow. If they'd put all the English instructions together in a single section it would probably be readable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorey View Post
    I've got a Sigma. The programming isn't so bad -- it's the truly awful instruction booklet. Really hard to follow. If they'd put all the English instructions together in a single section it would probably be readable.
    I've had a couple of Sigmas and I agree wholeheartedly. It was several years ago, and it's sad if they have not managed to improve the booklet since then. But I've had good e-mail exchanges with their customer service when needed.

--J
    To err is human. To moo is bovine.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
    Community guidelines

My Bikes
    LeMond Sarthe, OCR A1, OCR 2, Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Sigmas on 3 bikes and a Blackburn on the 4th. The instruction book for the Sigma is terrible the Blackburn was a little better. Thank goodness for a my LBS for the set up instructions.
    2011 Soma Double Cross
    2008 Lemond Sarthe
    2008 Giant OCR A1

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had Vetta computers on my bikes - RT77, RT88, V100. Easy to program and easy to read.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz