Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minnesota Root River Trail Report

Got into Lanesboro, MN today at 2 after a very nice drive. Lanesboro is at the heart of the Root River Trail system. This is a paved trail with a flattish middle section of about 40-45 miles with two very hilly sections on each end.

I was feeling a bit tired but decided that since I'm here for 4 days that I'm going to ride. So I got out for an afternoon 25 miler. It was a great ride. The mid-section has just enough up and down to it to get a bit of a workout. There's an early autumn tinge of color. Weather was excellent, mostly sunny with highs in the upper 70s. The trail was fairly busy, with a lot of 50+'ers out for rides. This area caters to recreational trail riders, Lanesboro has 3 bike rental shops. Everyone was very friendly, I chatted with several people along the trail. Some of the 50+'ers looked pretty serious, riding expensive road bikes and in cycling kit.

Highlights were all of the bridge crossings over the Root River, the river bluffs that lined the trail for miles, the wildlife - saw a couple of deer, some geese, squirrels, and a large flock of turkeys that were attempting to take over the trail, and the look & feel of early autumn. After getting back to town, I found a restaurant with an all you can eat taco bar for $5.95. And it was very good. The icing on the cake was when a guitarist sat down and started playing.

Hope to get in a longer ride tomorrow, if my back doesn't act up. I had to skip my trip to Yellowstone because of it. And I'm riding only my recumbent on this trip because of it. The bent was perfect today, as it gave me a great view.

Have no internet access from my motel (and my cell gets no signal). But I found a cafe that has wireless and even though it is closed right now, their wireless is on. So I'm in my car, parked in front of the cafe, checking on things. As I type this, a couple of 50+'ers are putting their bikes up on their roof rack, I see that one bike is a lugged steel 80's Trek road bike and the other is a Colnago. So I guess the place isn't reserved for us fuddy-duddies.

I think I'm going to like it here. Maybe I will stay until someone comes and gets me.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've been to lanesboro before, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were there this afternoon so perhaps we met or passed eachother, we were east to Peterson and back to Lanesboro. We had supper at the Riverside and I'd suggest you make it there, you won't be disappointed. I hope you also have time for pie in Whalen next week and she's closed now till Wednesday
    Have fun it's a beautiful part of Minnesota.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tom,
    This one of my favored trails. We gave up on Root River because of the wash out between Lanesboro and Whalen which you reported.
    Did they fix that and how? It looked as if they needed to build a bridge or something.
    This trail is almost 4 hours from my house. Because of that and gas prices we went other places.
    We do like that restaurant on the river bridge in Lanesboro a lot. We know the owners but have been out of touch because of the above. We made several summer vacations in that town and I did use the trails to train for CC tour.
    I would appreciate this trail information please.

My Bikes
    91 Specialized Sirrus, 96 Gary Fischer, 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will, I rode 60 miles on the trail a couple of weeks ago. It's in great shape!

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trail section that was washed out has been filled in and paved. It's really kind of neat that that part of the trail is so open with the river on both sides of you.
    I spend a lot of time on this trail.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my wife and I rode the Root River Trail in the early '90s, there was a place in Lanesboro called the Wurst Haus, with a band that played oompah music. Is it still there?
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact
    1981 Raleigh Super Record
    Trek 4900 MTB
    My blog: "Bike Noob" http://bikenoob.wordpress.com

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fghhunter, we certainly must have crossed paths in Lanesboro as I passed the Riverside 4 or 5 times on Sunday evening. I rode to Preston on Sunday and Peterson on Monday. Attempted to get pie in Whalen but it was closed today. Not open again until after I leave. Had to settle for an excellent dish of butter pecan ice cream in Lanesboro.

Solveg, this is my first trip to this area. It exceeds my expectations.

As I noted above, I rode to Peterson & Whalen this morning. When I got back to Lanesboro I had put in 28.5 miles. Had my ice cream and decided to go for 40. My longest ride of the year has been only 32, after doing 5 40+ rides last year. So I headed back toward Preston again. Went about 2/3rds of the way before turning around. When I got back to my motel, the computer read 44.15 miles. Could have gone further but my rear was getting a bit sore. It took me 4 hours in the saddle (excluding stops) and that was long enough for today. Have to save something for riding tomorrow.

Browsed the bike shop in Lanesboro. They have a season-end clearance in progress. All bike stuff at 20%-30% off. Will have to pick up a few things. If I had more room in my car, I might buy another bike as they have some great prices. A Sun EZ-Sport CX bent is just $699.

Had a blast on my ride today. It felt good getting in a longer ride again. Wasn't sure I had it in me this year.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I like about this place is that so many people are here to ride. You can strike up conversations at restaurants or at the ice cream shop about "How was your ride today" and about 80% of them will tell you. It is fun to be in a town where the #1 activity is riding a bike, with #2 being riding in a canoe or kayak.

My Bikes
    Bianchi 928 C2C, Bianchi San Remo, Specialize Allez, Schwinn High Sierra, Cannondale Prophet 1000 Lefty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the Root River Trail. We rode it in August of this year. Don't forget about the Preston to Harmony section that goes South.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But the Preston-Harmony section has steep hills!!!

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    But the Preston-Harmony section has steep hills!!!
    But what a blast to ride down!
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is true that I almost never ride down a steeper, paved hill. I did get the bent up to 24 mph on a long, slightly downhill section of the trail riding from Preston toward Lanesboro.

Today I decided to do something different. I rented a delta trike with underseat steering, one of the new Sun X-series bikes, to see how I liked it. What a great view. Nothing in front of you at all, and riding in a slightly more reclined position than my bent. It was fun. It also weighed a ton and it was slow going up slopes. Only did about 18 miles on it (I decided to walk more today).

This was what I rode:
    http://www.rbr.info/store.html?page=...category_id=12

There are so many 50+'ers here. At 53 I think I'm younger than about 70% of the people I see on the trails. A lot of trail riders in their 60s and 70s.

Bought a few things at the bike shop today and chatted with the owner for 15-20 minutes. What a dream job. He drove 18-wheelers for 30 years before moving here to run a B&B. Then 3-4 years later he decided to open a bike shop and it has done very well. He must have at least 100 rental bikes, with a good 25-30 recumbents, trikes, or recumbent tandems. But no road bikes. Says people who want road bikes always bring theirs with them. He said it was a great job, as the visitors are nearly always friendly and easy to deal with. He closes it in November and goes south for the winter.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainycamp View Post
    When my wife and I rode the Root River Trail in the early '90s, there was a place in Lanesboro called the Wurst Haus, with a band that played oompah music. Is it still there?
    Still here. I had a really good root beer there today, they make it right on the premises. A family came in and ordered a meal and the 60+'er who makes the meals in the back, came out and played his accordian for a few minutes after they got their food. Fun people.

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are so many 50+'ers here. At 53 I think I'm younger than about 70% of the people I see on the trails. A lot of trail riders in their 60s and 70s.
    That's common there this time of the year. The weekends usually have a much wider age range. I rode there the weekend before last and saw quite a few younger roadies and young families.
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a few things at the bike shop today and chatted with the owner for 15-20 minutes. What a dream job. He drove 18-wheelers for 30 years before moving here to run a B&B. Then 3-4 years later he decided to open a bike shop and it has done very well. He must have at least 100 rental bikes, with a good 25-30 recumbents, trikes, or recumbent tandems. But no road bikes. Says people who want road bikes always bring theirs with them. He said it was a great job, as the visitors are nearly always friendly and easy to deal with. He closes it in November and goes south for the winter.
    That is a dream job

I've been enjoying your trip report. I'm hoping to be able to take a few trips similar to yours now that I'll be retiring soon and will have lots of free time
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bid good-bye to Lanesboro today, but not until putting in another 25 miles. Rode to Fountain. Or I should say up to Fountain. I knew it was up a bit from the river but didn't know it was a steady up slope for 5+ miles after making the turn to Fountain and breezing over a nice flat 1/2 mile stretch.

Not a steep slope, as it is a railroad grade, just a steady 1%-3%. I started okay, but it ground me up. I prayed for a flat stretch as I crested each hill, but there was just more uphill grinding after each. By the end my legs were fatigued and I was kinda "walking", just spinning at 5mph. A combination of having tired legs from all of the previous rides and not being in shape.

But I had been told there was good pie in Fountain so I was determined to get there. As I spun over the last crest, I was chanting pie, pie, pie, pie, pie. Then I saw the "Welcome to Fountain - The Sinkhole Capital of the USA" sign. They had a sinkhole corralled there, with a big display telling about why so many are in the area.

I think it took me about 45 minutes to do the last 5 miles.

But there was a double reward. The pie was good (peach) and then there was the ride back down the hilll. Old Tom was flyin' (for Tom). I was cruising at 17-18 mph for 21 minutes over a 5.7 mile stretch (had to stop twice at intersections and another time to keep from hitting a kamikazi squirrel) so my overall average was 16. I have certainly never had the experience of riding downhill for 21 minutes before. What a blast!

Did 25 on that trail and then another 5 once I got to Trempealeau, WI. So I'm up to 117 over 4 days. Two more days of riding to go.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also stumbled across another really nice bike shop. Was driving north of La Crosse, WI and through Onalaska, WI and saw a bike shop. The "Blue Heron Bicycle Works." It appeared to be a one-man shop, I chatted with the owner for a while. He is an "independent" bike shop. Carries no major brands. But he had a rack filled with Salsa, Surly, Gunnar, and other bikes that he built up from frames. Really nice stuff. Bunch of older frames that he rebuilt too. Stays in business by doing repairs on local bikes and does his bike builds as a side business. Not a carbon frame on the premises, but he said he'd work on those too if that is what someone wanted. He loves building steel frame bikes with moustache bars. Neat place.

My Bikes
    Bianchi 928 C2C, Bianchi San Remo, Specialize Allez, Schwinn High Sierra, Cannondale Prophet 1000 Lefty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have missed to interpretive sign along the trail that talked about the railroad having to break the trains in smaller units and using of helper engines to climb out of the valley onto the western plains. We made that climb at the end of the day after traveling from Houston on the eastern end. I was expecting it because I had read the sign, but my wife was more than a little suprised with the length of the climb. Not a bad climb, just a long one. The return trip back east was fantastic. I think I only made a couple of pedal revolutions in 5 miles.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN Bianchi View Post
    You must have missed to interpretive sign along the trail that talked about the railroad having to break the trains in smaller units and using of helper engines to climb out of the valley onto the western plains.
    There was a sign???

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm biked out.

Did another 36 miles today on the Great River Trail in Wisconsin. It was a great ride, up to the Trempealeau National Wildlife Refuge. I've been there before but it was particularly nice now, being that it is the start of the migratory season. Hundreds upon hundreds of birds out on the Mississippi River and it's backchannel wetlands. Pelicans, geese, cranes, egrets, herons, dozens of varieties of ducks, red-winged blackbirds were flocking (yikes, winter must be coming!), plovers, and much more. Spotted three bald eagles later in the ride.

This makes 153 miles ridden in 5 days. I know people do more than this in a few hours, but it is more than I have ever ridden before. Including some stops made while sitting in the big, easy seat, I've put about 16 hours in the bent's "saddle." I'm sore in many places - my feet ache, my rear aches, I've got sore spots in sensitive places, but overall it does feel good.

So while I had planned to ride again tomorrow, I think I'll skip it. Take some walks instead. My motel room overlooks the Mississippi River and one of the locks on it. I can even see the river while lying in bed. I sat on my deck this morning watching the fog rise off of the water. I'm watching the sun set over the Mississippi as I type this. With my spotting scope set up next to me, so I zoom in on any interesting bird or sight. Life is good.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 09-25-08 at 06:50 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw an odd sight on the Root River Trail the other day. There was a crumpled dead deer right on the trail. As I was wondering how hard a bike would have to hit a deer to kill it, I noticed that it was lying right at the base of a 40 ft'ish bluff. So either someone really smacked it with a bike, or it fell off of the bluff. I'm guessing bluff, but I never imagined a deer would fall off of one. They seem so graceful and sure-footed.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone here on BF hit a deer with a bike, but the both walked away.

It sounds like you had a great trip, Tom. Now, when I'm in town it will be easier to lure you over to MN for a bike ride. You do need a tiny digital camera you can keep in your bag. I would have liked to have seen the birds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN Bianchi
    Don't forget about the Preston to Harmony section that goes South.
    If you're all the way down in Harmony you might as well drop in on Decorah, IA (my home town). Lots of trails, rivers, bluffs, hills! It's not as organized as the Root River Trail but it's easy to find maps in the local shops and I think you will find it as scenic and charming as any place in the area.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drove through Decorah on the way to Lanesboro. Frankly, even having lived in Wisconsin for the past 19 years, I had never heard of it before. But it looked very nice and I made a note to check into that area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast