Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Bare bike?

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bare bike?

Here is my latest acquisition. It's a 2000 Jamis Quest in Reynolds 613 steel. It seems the finish is bare w/o paint. Does anyone know about this model? 3 x 9 speed, STI, and Mavic rims!

Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike ------ I'll bet its got a great ride. How much does it weigh? Craigs list find at a good price? --- looks new as well. Great find --- Lp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only thing I can add other than it looks nice is that almost all the Jamis road steel bike frames were/are made by Maxway Taiwan. I have 3 Eclipse fames and all are top quality in both ride and welds, etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it was polished and then clear coat painted.

My Bikes
    Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know much about that year model, but I do know a few people who have the same color frame and they all love it. I realy like the look of the bare steel.
    My wife has a 2008 Jamis Quest frame that is also the 631 steel.
    The main difference now is the carbon fork-steerer tube. I dont think you could go wrong with Jamis.
    Jamis Satellite 08.

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinz@50 View Post
    Nice bike ------ I'll bet its got a great ride. How much does it weigh? Craigs list find at a good price? --- looks new as well. Great find --- Lp
    Craigslist find - it was listed with other items as "racing bike". Since the seller was in my town I had time to check the bike out. I like Reynolds steel and the components were nice. About $200 more than I'd normally pay but I could recoup the cost easily. She weighs about 22.5 lbs.
    Korval is Ships

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like unpolished chrome plate to me...

SP

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbycorno View Post
    Looks like unpolished chrome plate to me...

SP
    Chrome would crack at the welds so it is probably Nickel Plated- Then polished.

Shiny as it looks- It is not as "Sparkly" as chrome---- Stills rusts when the plating gets damaged though.

Edit---If you look at the headset covers- They look chrome as you can see the sparkle on them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode her into work today - very responsive, smooth riding, and flawless. Unfortunately she's a bit small on me (55cm). I can hike the saddle up but the top tube is too short for my long torso. The higher saddle is a few inches too high over the handlebar lever for my back.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've decided to upgrade my son's Univega Sportour to the Jamis. I'll have to flip the stem, put on the specialized saddle, and get a non setback seat post.
    I'll modernize the Univega slightly with a 700c wheelset and new stem/handlebars, dual pivot brakes for resale. The liberated parts will rebuild my Alan Shorter bike that I'm cannibalizing for bike funds.
    Korval is Ships