Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: N-1

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N-1

Our son came home on Saturday to be our designated driver for an event we attended in Napa. We pay him, of course; he's taking 10 hrs. of college courses and works two jobs, and always needs more money. At the end of this month he's moving into San Francisco and has discussed getting a bike for the last couple of months.

Cgallagh and I recognized his need and his lack of funds, and so we gave him our last '98 Specialized Hard Rock Classic. We lent mine to our daughter in '03 to help her get around campus in her senior year. Sadly, despite her efforts to secure it, some low-life stole it.

The one left is the bike that got my back on the road in '05. It's sat neglected for a year or more now. Young cgallagh helped his dad put the platform pedals and reflectors back on, cleaned it up and adjusted it to fit him. It's as satisfying as can be to see a good bike go to a rider who'll really use it, and to know how much he appreciates the gift. I know he'll be putting the hilly city miles on it and look forward to hearing about his adventures.

Now with extra space in the garage, I'm torn between a vintage steel bike and a single-speed. Decisions, decsions...
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Downhill racing.........................

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I'm torn between a vintage steel bike and a single-speed. Decisions, decsions...
    How abbout a vintage steel bike set up as a single-speed, or better yet, a fixie?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    How abbout a vintage steel bike set up as a single-speed, or better yet, a fixie?
    Ah, a happy medium.

Not sure I want to go fixed; my knees can only take so much stress. But SS? Oh, I can be all over that in a heartbeat.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with the SS. It will make your pedal stroke more efficient. I grabed an old 80's Raliegh set out for the trash man and turned it into a SS. I took it all apart and repainted it, it was light purple, took off the small chain ring and added some newer parts to update it, and put on a unused Brooks saddle. I bought a 19 tooth SS unit for the rear that lets me coast, then gave it to my son while he was in college. He's graduated now and the bike is back home. I've been using the bike for recovery rides and recently did 82 miles on it one day when my regular bike was in the shop. Its a nice alturnitive to ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the money you got for the Hard rock into something respectable.

Sorry- Wasn't thinking
    Last edited by stapfam; 09-22-08 at 03:17 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Put the money you got for the Hard rock into something respectable.

Sorry- Wasn't thinking
    Define respectable.

My birthday is next month, and then there's Christmas I can plead my case to the family and see if they respond, or if I'll be the recipient of stuff I know I'll never want.

Want to hel? PM me w/details.

Visit my blog.

Uniekje
    you sound just like my parents

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Define respectable.

My birthday is next month, and then there's Christmas I can plead my case to the family and see if they respond, or if I'll be the recipient of stuff I know I'll never want.

Want to hel? PM me w/details.
    My daughters keeps on borrowing bikes from me. She has her own and it is old. So my main job is to rebuild her bike into something she can't break. But it is going to be cheaper to build a new bike for her than one years maintenance.

So start a wish list. You know what you like on your current bikes with regard to components and I am certain you have ridden a few frames that suit your riding style.

So now the choice is Cervello or Trek for the frame- Wheels and do you want them for speed or hill climbing and can you get on with a compact or do you still need the triple?

To be serious- Look around and see what is about. Look to see what you want as a bike. Mountain bike or road. Or even those funny bikes with no gears- low handle bars- no brakes and only go round in circles.

Then come back to us and we'll tell you what to buy.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan