The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for users of Specialized BG Saddles

I'm still in the search for a saddle that will help my numbness.

Just curious...

Those of you who use the Specialized "BG" Saddles.

Which model of the saddle do you use? What width? I know that width will vary from rider to rider.

Did you have numbness and did you find relief with the specialized saddle?

TIA

Ed
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got some relatively old Specialized BG saddles. A couple of comps and a ti-something. I liked them better than anything that i'd tried previously but they didn't completely eliminate the problem of "numb manhood".

The bikes that I ride farther than about 30 miles now have Brooks saddles. They solved the problem for me. YMMV.

My Bikes
    Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden the BG Comfort Plus saddle for three months. No complaints. I ride my Trek 7100 100-130 miles a week, including one 30-35-miler, without saddle-soreness or numbness.

I'd seen this saddle on the Specialized website, but unlike now, there was no width mentioned. No shop within 50 miles had it in stock, so I couldn't see it up close and put my hands around it. I had my LBS order it for me. When it came in I was surprised it was as wide as it was: 180mm. I almost rejected it for that reason alone, but I saw the nose was long and skinny and decided to give it a one-hour test ride around my LBS's neighborhood. I'm glad I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Alias on two bikes and the Toupe on another. (I believe both of these are part of the BG series). All three saddles are in use because I can ride on them without problems. Neither of the two styles are my favorite saddle. (My favorite is the Selle An-Atomica Titanico.) I have found that careful adjustment of all of my saddles is key to making them work - especially the tilt of the saddle. However, the fact that all three have cut aways in the center section helps too.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed, I have the V-Groove model of that saddle on my hybrid. I like it a lot. The stock saddle was what I called a big satin pillow that I slid around on as I rode. The owner of an LBS talked me into this one so I decided to try it; it took a week or two to adjust to a firmer saddle (not hard, just firmer than the satin pillow) but now it's great. Hubby has the same model on his Trek 7500 hybrid and he likes it. We both have the same one... it has a red ribbon stripe down the middle of the groove.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2009 Custom TI Frame Road Bike, all 2007 Campy Record, Campy Euros Wheelset
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    toupe gel on one road bike, toupe( non gel) on another. like them both
    2009 Custom TI Frame Road Bike, all 2007 Campy Record, Campy Euros Wheelset
    2009 Custom TI Frame touring Bike. S&S couplers, XTR Drivetrain. LOW granny.
    2009 Performance Bicycles TI (by Lynsky) road frame, 7900 DA, 7950 DA Compact Crank, Light Niobium Rim Wheels

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had one on the Merlin and hated it -- swapped it out for a Terry Butterfly. My backside has been thanking me ever since.
    Zero gallons to the mile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a BROOKS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bookman

Is the Comfort Plus a soft/padded/squishy type saddle or is the padding relatively firm/dense?
    Is the profile of the saddle relatively flat or does the rear portion have an upward slope ?
    Thanks in advance if you will share some info about this saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    I've ridden the BG Comfort Plus saddle for three months. No complaints. I ride my Trek 7100 100-130 miles a week, including one 30-35-miler, without saddle-soreness or numbness.

I'd seen this saddle on the Specialized website, but unlike now, there was no width mentioned. No shop within 50 miles had it in stock, so I couldn't see it up close and put my hands around it. I had my LBS order it for me. When it came in I was surprised it was as wide as it was: 180mm. I almost rejected it for that reason alone, but I saw the nose was long and skinny and decided to give it a one-hour test ride around my LBS's neighborhood. I'm glad I did.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    I've got the Alias on two bikes and the Toupe on another. (I believe both of these are part of the BG series). All three saddles are in use because I can ride on them without problems. Neither of the two styles are my favorite saddle. (My favorite is the Selle An-Atomica Titanico.) I have found that careful adjustment of all of my saddles is key to making them work - especially the tilt of the saddle. However, the fact that all three have cut aways in the center section helps too.
    I also like both the Toupe and the Alias. Width is personal from Specialized's point of view. They want you to get your butt measured at one of their dealers, which is no charge, no mess. There's an elastomer pad on a bench, and you sit on the pad leaning forward as in your riding position to get your pelvis tilted realistically. The pad retains divots from your sit bones. You measure the distance between the divots, and then use a chart to identify what saddle width you are suited for.

I tried both a 130 Alias and a 143, and found that too narrow really is too narrow - I was teetering on the narrow butt bone platform. This system works.

BsLeVan has it absolutely right about gently experimenting with saddle angle. Authorities recommend setting the saddle "level" and leaving it that way, but there's no common standard for what level means, especially for a cutout that goes back to the back, or a saddle that has a hammocky shape. I've found a small amount of forward (nose down) tilt helps to relieve pressure that would produce numbness. Plus, I think exploring this adjustment can save a lot of $$ from prematurely buying more saddles.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you've found a solution by now. If not I'm wondering if you need to take a look at either the reach to your bars or the height of the bars so you're riding on your sit bones more often-as opposed to putting so much pressure in the soft tissue area.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in GA View Post
    I'm still in the search for a saddle that will help my numbness.

Just curious...

Those of you who use the Specialized "BG" Saddles.

Which model of the saddle do you use? What width? I know that width will vary from rider to rider.

Did you have numbness and did you find relief with the specialized saddle?

TIA

Ed
    I bought the BG 155mm, but still have THE problem. The only saddle which works fro me is the RIDO http://www.rido-cyclesaddles.com/pro...n-c100063.html

I have no commercial or other interest but am a very satisfied customer. Have not tried the new R2

My Bikes
    2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Selle An-Atomica works for a lot of folks. It's like a Brooks saddle that allows you to adjust the tension so there's no break in time. You just have to read the instructions carefully and continue to tweak the saddle until you get it just right.