User Tag List

Thread: new member

My Bikes
    GF Zebrano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just found this forum and wish I had found it sooner. I am going over tonight after supper to make a decision on a Trek 7100 or a Gary Fisher Zebrano. Can someone please give me some adivice on these two bikes and which one you would choose?

I also have a 30 year old Visount that I bought new and hardly rode. I don't like the hunched over position on the road bikes - hurts my back. The dealer takes trades and I
    don't know how much the Viscount is worth. Anybody know?

Would appreciate some quick advice.

Thanks to all.

Mike (66)

My Bikes
    Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No advice on those choices, but you'll find that there is advice aplenty to be had here on Bf.
    Welcome to the community!
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard.
    You might check with the Classic & Vintage section on the Viscount. I did a quick Google search on the two bikes you're looking at. I'd say they are pretty competitive with each other. My advice would be go for the one that fits you the best. Good luck!
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group. Post often. Be sure to post pictures of which ever bike you choose.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    GF Zebrano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, as Mo of The Three Stooges said when he accidently sunk one of our battleships, "I seen my duty and done it." I got a Gary Fisher Zebrano. Thanks for those who replied. I will let you know how I like in a couple or weeks.

Mike

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Trek 7x00 series and Gary Fisher hybrids are essentially the same bikes. Made in the same factory under contract to Trek. From model to model they shuffle some of the component parts, but for the most part these are the same parts too. So it is just a matter of picking what model level you want and getting the best price.

That said, the GF Zebrano is equivalent to the Trek 7200. So it is a bit better bike than the 7100.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    GF Zebrano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information Tom. I will pick my bike up tonight. I guess the biggest selling point was the trigger shifter on the Zebrano. I like this much better than the twist. The "Z" also felt a little more stable.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They must have set up the Gary Fisher a little better for you, as there is no reason why one should feel any more stable than the other. Same frame, same stem, same handlebar, and same tires. I don't mean they are similar, I mean they are exactly the same parts. Gary Fisher doesn't really "build" their hybrids, Trek owns GF and decided to sell their hybrids with a Gary Fisher label, so that shops that carry only GF and not Trek, would have a hybrid line. They do occasionally have a slightly different part or two on them - such as using a trigger shifter on the Fishers as that is expected on a Fisher bike (mountain bike heritage).
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 09-23-08 at 05:06 PM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did your Viscount have a recalled aluminum fork and was it replaced? The recalled models were seventy-somethings.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lambert.html

Do you have any pie for the rest of us?

The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and enjoy.

How old are you? You got to be old to belong. Most of us can go over to the 65 group.

Have a happy.
    Burr,
    I Push Iron & Turn Cranks!
    Yoga, Pilates & Orchids
    I Stay Busy, I have GOPD

My Bikes
    GF Zebrano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My viscount has the steel forks, not the forged aluminum "death forks." I bought it about 30 years ago and it is too big for me but, I rode in anyway. It's frame is for someone about 6"4".

I am 66 years young and feel like I should be 30. Body won't cooperate sometimes tho'.

My beautiful bride of 43 years will not make me any pie - says I am getting too fat. L'Amour is one of my favorites. I am reading one of his books right now. Third time thru my collection.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pawpace@hotmail View Post
    My beautiful bride of 43 years will not make me any pie - says I am getting too fat. L'Amour is one of my favorites. I am reading one of his books right now. Third time thru my collection.
    You will have to re-educate the wife. For all the extra physical Exercise you will be taking- You will need a slight change in Diet. More Carbohydrates and fruit and veg- And Protein comes in there somewhere aswell.

Protein is for muscle build up and Repair after those long rides you will be doing. Fruit is healthy and a banana a day will help to keep the leg cramps away. Carbo- hydrates are where you will get the energy to be able to do those long rides

So PIE is going to be a necessity if you are not going to run out of energy on the rides. The best combination of Carbs and fruit you can get. Just have a 6oz steak before with plenty of vegetables to improve the effect.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished the lemon meringue pie the SU made for Saturday's Pie Day. Needed the replacement energy form today's 58 miles. Or should I have had the pie before I rode????

BTW Welcome aboard.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My viscount has the steel forks, not the forged aluminum "death forks." I bought it about 30 years ago and it is too big for me but, I rode in anyway. It's frame is for someone about 6"4".

I am 66 years young and feel like I should be 30. Body won't cooperate sometimes tho'.

Won't make pie!

That old bike isn't the only think you need to trade in!!!

Just today I met a guy on the trail. He said he retired 2 days ago. Yesterday he got a bike from his daughter that she had won in a contest ... a pretty cheap 7-speed cruiser but it seemed to fit him okay. Now he was out hitting the trails. Said it was the first time he had ridden in years. I gave him some encouraging words (Yeah, I know, hard to believe coming from me).

My Bikes
    GF Zebrano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gary Fisher and Casita

We had a Casita travel trailer get together this weekend. It was by Junction City, Ks. on a beautiful lake. Weather was perfect, met some new friends and of course, tried out my new bike. It rode great over both dirt and hardtop. One couple there had Greenspeed trikes. I got to ride one and it was like sitting in a easy chair. It is a recumbent bike and was quit fun riding.

We all are going to meet again before it gets too cold and ride the Katy Trail which is a "rail to Trail".
    We hope to plan it around the time the leaves change so it will be fairly soon.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .....One couple there had Greenspeed trikes. I got to ride one and it was like sitting in a easy chair. It is a recumbent bike and was quit fun riding. ....
    Mike
    It's too late for you now. You've been infected with the virus and I can already see
    a recumbent in your stable. You may scoff at my prediction now but you just wait and
    see.

Glad the new bike is working out so well for you. We'll be anticipating many ride reports.

Happy Trails

My Bikes
    GF Zebrano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greenspeed

At a starting price of approx. $2600, I think I will hang on to my GF for a while.