Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-22-08, 05:09 PM   #1
Nerdanel 
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this 2003 modified Giant TCX a good deal?

Craigslist seller is asking $500. The bike is a 2003. If it's a good fit and I like it, is $500 the right price?

Quote:
Very custom TCX Cross bike built for road. size small, Triple with Avid discs. Carbon 'cross fork, Avid mechanical disc brakes, a great all-weather commuter or sport-touring rig. combo 105/deore gruppo, Mavic T224-Deore disc wheelset with 700X28 Vittoria tires. Best fit is a rider 5'2" to 5'6"
Old 09-23-08, 11:19 AM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
Craigslist seller is asking $500. The bike is a 2003. If it's a good fit and I like it, is $500 the right price?
Been thinking about this and the 2003 TCX did not have Disc brakes. Just because it now has- does not mean that the bike has been improved and hence commands a higher price. The original wheels and Brakes were good enough and to me the only time to make it worthwhile would be when the original wheels and brakes needed replacing.

So forget the Fancy name Mavic wheels and the disc brakes. It is still a TCX that is 5 years old. It has probably had some good use in that time so the Frame has probably had it.

Sounds overpriced- and not worth it. Especially in comparison to a modern "NEW" bike of the same value.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote