User Tag List

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chasing the 'Tweeners

Ms. Slim and I had company over night. They left about 8:30 am, and I was on my bike by 9:00 (I felt it would have been rude to be in my lycra while they were eating). My ride group, the Tweeners, had left about 8:00. I knew the route they were taking and figured if I skipped the loop to the cemetery I would catch them by the bridge, where they always stop for a break. I may not be the fastest rider in the group, but I knew I was faster than the group as a whole.

I hammered (for me) to the first place I could possibly run into them (at about 10 miles). Not there. I pushed on, hoping at each turn or hill crest I would see them. The route had been flat-to-small-rollers until I started the one climb, at about 15 miles. Do you have some hill that, for some reason, just fits your style? This is mine. About 2 miles, probably no more than 5-6% most of the way, with a couple of pretty flat spots. I was pretty sure I'd see the stragglers of the group here, because I know I do this hill pretty well. Nope.

At the bridge, no one. I'm beginning to think I may have gotten in front of them by cutting that little loop out at the beginning. By the way, here's a picture of the lake today and from the same spot last April.

I do a little math and figure they MIGHT be in front of me. Our new ride leader has the group moving a little faster. But as I start down the other side, I can see ahead and no one is in sight.

I head on into the metropolis of Wheatland (pop 2275) and Big Al's Market, our usual stop. There was a bit of a tailwind and I make good time for this 5 mile stretch. I purchase a Western Family 20 oz cola for 88 cents and ask if a group of riders has already been there. Nope. I decide to wait 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, I backtrack for 1 1/2 miles. Nope.

That's it. I'm on my own. Now, just because I have populated this little story with these guys , you really shouldn't get the idea I'm not having fun. First, my iPod is playing great stuff. Second, wind has been good and my average mph keeps going up. After winding through some walnut groves,

I turn for home and find myself cruising at 22-24 mph with a 3/4 tailwind on a flat, straight road. A flagman sees me coming and waves me through. Even when I make the left turn off this road, I still have a 3/4 tailwind and no problem maintaining 18-19 mph, again flat.

I catch a 50+-looking guy on an Xmart mtb, full suspension (no helmet) and slow to chat a bit. He asks about my bike and seemed to take a little offense when I suggest that his bike might weight 30 lbs (I'm being generous to him). "Oh, no", he protests, "My friend gave it to me and it's really good, it costs over $500".

After a bit, I move on. Once in my neigborhood, I check the cafe to see if the group happens to be there. Nope. I head home. I would have enjoyed finding my group, but I also enjoyed the solo 55.31 miles with my iPod. 16 mph. Exactly 4 hours gone. 58 songs played.
    Last edited by Mojo Slim; 09-22-08 at 07:21 PM.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some perty country. So - where were they, ahead, behind or never started out? You can't end the story like that!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Some perty country. So - where were they, ahead, behind or never started out? You can't end the story like that!
    I don't know yet. I have e-mailed one of the riders, but haven't received an answer. A lesson learned however. I don't have any cell phone numbers for any of the people in my group. If I did, I could have called and said, "Where are you?" I will remedy that situation Wednesday, and be sure that everyone exvchanges numbers. We had done that with my previous group.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, you sure do have some beautiful looking country to ride in
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    I don't know yet. I have e-mailed one of the riders, but haven't received an answer. A lesson learned however. I don't have any cell phone numbers for any of the people in my group. If I did, I could have called and said, "Where are you?" I will remedy that situation Wednesday, and be sure that everyone exvchanges numbers. We had done that with my previous group.
    Perhaps they realised that you would be a bit late and changed the route.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'tweeners? They're 'tween age 40 and 50, or what?
    Yeah baby, let's peel out!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and the lake level makes me sad.
    Yeah baby, let's peel out!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRNRBR View Post
    'tweeners? They're 'tween age 40 and 50, or what?
    We're 'tween the hot shots who pound all the time and the group that makes to many rest stops. Our motto: "We could keep up if we wanted to."
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mystery Solved! As I said in my original post, the new group leader has been moving the group along a bit faster than before. In fact, they finished the ride at 15.4 mph and I finished at 16 mph. They were in front of me the whole time. They didn't stop at Big Al's Market and they stopped for lunch (!) near home. End of story.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros