User Tag List

My Bikes
    lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new gear new distance

Went to the bike shop today changed the rear cog from 15 to 17 dropped my gearing from 85 "to
    75" .Then I went home and rode 30mi took a 1 hour break and rode 20 more.My previous one day max was 30mi.What made it real good was we had 10mph winds with 17mph gusts the new gear was great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah...the wonder of a lower gear-- you can ride forever (unless you are going down hill-- then you need your brakes)--I rode a 48x18 for about 4 years and this year went to a 48x17. A little better for the downhills, a little tougher on the uphills. I find it interesting that I can hold speed better in a headwind with the fixed gear than on the multi-gear.

train safe-

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I want to change from a 15 to a 17 in back, I simply pull back a bit on the right lever ...
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buelito View Post
    . I find it interesting that I can hold speed better in a headwind with the fixed gear than on the multi-gear.

train safe-
    Think about it- You have one gear- You do not have a lower gear for when it gets tough so you stay in that gear and keep the cadence as near normal as you can. Those of us with gears will just change down- and slow down.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buelito View Post
    ah...the wonder of a lower gear-- you can ride forever (unless you are going down hill-- then you need your brakes)--I rode a 48x18 for about 4 years and this year went to a 48x17. A little better for the downhills, a little tougher on the uphills. I find it interesting that I can hold speed better in a headwind with the fixed gear than on the multi-gear.

train safe-
    yes I have one short steep hill on my reg route going up is much better but coming down I had to work at spinning.That is another reason I lowered my gear I need to work on my cadence.I also hold speed better on my fixed gear I think its because I don't have a choice my cadence drops but I just get in the drops and keep pushing.On my geared bike I seem to stay on the top of the bars and keep dropping my gears down.
    On my reg ride my average speed (SLOW)is about the same for fixed or geared but I haven't ridden my geared bike much since I got the fixed.