Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specialized Comp vs. Pro re: comfort

I have definitely decided to purchase a Specialized Robaix....love the geometry/comfort of the bike. For comparison sake I demoed the Seqoia, Comp and Pro last week.

I am returning to a roadbike at 55 y.o. with a bunch of medical issues I want to cater to (knee replacement, carpal tunnel, etc.). Having decided on the Comp, I still have lingering thoughts about the Pro and would GREATLY appreciate your thoughts.

I am fine with the 105's on the Comp, although I do know the Ultegra set is smoother. What I am interested in is the comfort level for my joints. Do you know if the difference in the carbon layup, handlebars, stem, etc. warrants the increase in $ ? I plan to put MANY miles on this bike, including centuries.

The Comp was a GREAT ride, as was the Pro. The Pro felt firmer and clearly dampened the road stress during a relatively short demo ride. What are your thoughts?
    Many thanks,
    Bob

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either will be more comfortable than most of us can imagine. How much money are you comfortable spending? For your extra $2K, you'll get top of the line components and tighter handling. Not sure which would be more comfortable.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Components are the main difference between the two. The Pro uses FACT 8r carbon lay up and the Comp uses FACT 6r. The only real difference is that the 8r is lighter. The seat post in the Pro is there top line carbon post; the Comp is one level lower. I believe the same is true for the handle bars. I've used both sets of posts and bars and found no difference between the two. I really think it is an issue of components being better and frame slightly lighter between the two.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking at '08 or '09 bikes? If '08, I would consider the Expert to get the better frame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robaix Comp Triple vs. Pro Triple

I am looking at the '08 models. There is a difference of price of $800. I agree, there is a significant difference in components, but I am more interested in the difference in the frame, seat post and handlebar.

When I rode the Pro, it felt much stiffer though just as comfortable as the Comp frame. I am wondering whether that stiffer feel will translate into more comfort for the joints over longer rides.

We have been driving a CRV for years, and recently purchased an '05 Toyota Highlander. There is HUGE difference between the two in terms of how our bodies feel after a 4 hour drive.

My read of the specs seems to indicate that the Pro frame/stem/handlebar is rather different than the Comp. I liked both, and actually really liked the more 'reactive' feel of the Comp when first riding it. Was kind of like the difference between a sports car frame (Comp) and a touring car frame.....though both responded equally well.

Just getting back to road bikes.....am curious. Other than the smoother gear shifting, are there other important reasons to consider the Ultegra option? For instance, are the hubs/wheels significantly better?
    Thanks again...
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know which bike shop you're at, but there is a $2000 difference between the Comp and the Pro. One has 105 components and the other has Dura Ace. Also, the frames are completely different. I second the comment about looking at the Expert which is positioned between the two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mea culpa....blew it....it is an Expert that I am looking at...

Sorry......too many reviews of bikes in too few days.
    I rode a Seqouia, Comp and Expert.

I just decided to get the Expert.....for many reasons.
    Sorry about the confusion...
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice. I have the expert and love it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redfishpaddler View Post
    Just getting back to road bikes.....am curious. Other than the smoother gear shifting, are there other important reasons to consider the Ultegra option? For instance, are the hubs/wheels significantly better?
    Thanks again...
    Bob
    105 is almost as good as Ultegra- but a lot cheaper.

Components may be a bit heavier but they would be more durable.

Wheels- are where a big difference would come about but is the difference in price worth it?

So Comp or Pro- do as you have already done- try them both and decide on the one you like.

Just get on the bike and train up for next years PIE Ride. You have just missed that so a Metric or two or a trip to the mountains will soon get you in trim.

And a good choice in any case.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice. The Expert has a better frame along with the better components. The '09 Comp and Elite have the better frame also. The old Comp frame is now on the base Roubaix. There is no longer an aluminum Roubaix.

If $ was a constraint, the Comp would be a fine choice, but in general it is wise to buy the best bike you can afford.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redfishpaddler View Post
    Sorry......too many reviews of bikes in too few days.
    I rode a Seqouia, Comp and Expert.

I just decided to get the Expert.....for many reasons.
    Sorry about the confusion...
    Bob
    Good choice - I bought the Tarmac Expert last year and like how it is fitted out.
    We will need pictures of this new ride.

In general - Shimano 105 is a fine group and the lowest I would consider going on any bike - but you will have no inferiority complex with Ultegra when mixing it up on club rides, they both will do just fine.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.