Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Yesterday was just one of those "good" days

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't pretend to understand how any of this works but I sure love when I have days like I did yesterday.
Warning: As usual, there is no point to this post... I'm just talkin' out loud, is all.

There's a ride I've been doing lately... the "out lap" looks something like this

And it's got a few bumps along the way where -no matter what I do- my HR hits 140+, 160, 165+
I particularly like that last climb up... a mile and a quarter at an average of about 6% or so (though some stretches get into the double digits) that I'm able to get into a pretty good rhythm; sometimes *too* good of a rhythm. I usually start it in my penultimate low gear (30/25) and somewhere about halfway up, as my HR climbs, I drop to my 30/27 and give myself a break.

But yesterday, in all those spots mentioned above, my HR stayed a good 5-10BPM below what it normally does and in many cases I was actually pushing harder than I normally do. In fact on that 1.25 mile climb, I never felt the need to shift out of my 30/25. Man, it felt good... I felt like I could just go on forever. I don't know why. I don't care (other than wishing I could find a way to repeat it consistently)

That is all
Old 09-23-08, 01:00 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My Son-in-law has just re-started riding and although it does not seem to have an effect on him- His HR goes skyhigh on the climbs. While I am comfortable at 150ish- he will be up in the 180)'s. and If I do push it- I can get him up near 200. I know he is 30 years younger than me but in no way should his HR be up that high. Only thing is when his HR is way up- he is hardly breathing. Just a few pants occasionally.

I know that as he gets fitter and loses 30lbs- His HR will come down but that is the time I will be getting worried. There I will be at 165 and unable to breath at the top of the hills and he will be accelerating away from me at about 130.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 09-23-08 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-23-08, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The funny thing is, I was quite worried about this climb (and the one I did on Saturday) after I put on 2 or 3 pounds over vacation. Go figure
Old 09-23-08, 01:17 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you had posted this a year ago- you would have been a normal cyclists- with no medical problems enjoying his riding. But last year you could not have posted it.

Have to hand it to you- The improvements you have made over your Heart rate in the last year has been fantastic. I know it has taken a bit of hard work and perseverance on your part but You have done it. Still may be a little way to go- but it will be there shortly- Just before the "Metric" that you still haven't done.

Spike Milligan