User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Vote for a Hybrid! No Kidding!

My new Specialized Crosstrail Hybrid is in the shop having the rear wheel rebuilt/replaced.

It is being done under warrantee, because of constant spoke breakage.

They were just going to respoke it with better spokes, but disassembly discovered a bad rim. (stress cracks at some spoke holes) They decided to go with an eyeletted rim, and heavier and higher quality(2.0 vs. 1.8) spokes. Hence the multiple day delay, in ordering the new rim. My LBS is replacing the rim and spokes with better quality, to help resolve the problem once and for all. Good for them, as I certainly appreciate their decision! And, good for me, as this spoke breaking problem should be a thing of the past..

Soooooooo, after dropping my bike off after my ride yesterday, I pulled my son's old 12 spd, steel, Nishiki off the hook, and aired up the tires, and oiled all the joints. Then slapped my replaced BG seat on the tube, to replace a gel seat he has on it. That's all it really needed, as I still pull PM on it every spring, when I do the others. Oops, I almost forgot - I slapped a kickstand on it, toooooooo!

Then - the ride!

I took it out on my regular 42 mile loop today, and it's not nearly as nice as my "Hybrid!" More work, doesn't ride or handle as nicely, and not nearly as comfortable. On the MUP, it's not as fast, either. And, it is big enuf for me, as he is an inch taller than me.

I sure will be happy to get back on my "Hybrid" near the end of the week. The next couple of days are gonna be "fitness helpers!" But, it's better than not ridin!

Now, I'm sure I made the right decision in selling my old steel road bike!

While my Marin Stinson (semi-hybrid, leaning more toward mountain) is still an adequate grocery getter (also used today,) it sure ain't nice to try and go fast on!

I also really, really, really miss my Brooks B-17, even though the damed thing is so damned HARD! (It still gets better every day - but it's lookin like it will take a thousand miles to finish breaking in.) It's really HARD to believe that I love that damned HARD thing that much.

But, I sure am glad my son opted to keep his old bike hanging on a hook in my garage. I just wish it was a hybrid.......

So goes another day in a retiree's life......
    Last edited by Wanderer; 09-23-08 at 05:17 PM. Reason: correction

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welllllll, maybe I was a little hasty - I just took it for a 16 mile spin around the block, on country roads.

Just maybe , it is a little faster, anddddddddd, it does ride a little nicer than the aluminum, and the drops were nice -----------------

Buttttttt, it isn't as comfortable, nor, does it handle as nice. And, my butt sure does miss that B-17, and my hands miss the more upright riding position. Both ends are numb ....

My vote still goes to the HYBRID Crosstrail....

buttttttt, it sure is nice to have a backup to use for a few days.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I am just starting to look into getting a roadie after years on a MTB and then a hybrid (Trek 7500). I just feel like such a big sail on that thing!

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with Wanderer on this one, I am fairly new to riding, well actually very new. My wife and I started riding 6 weeks ago, we started on Wally World Mountain bikes and enjoyed them, We just picked up our new Specialized Cross Trail elites on saturday, Wow we love them, who know we may go to something different in the long term future but right now we really love these crosstrails. It was like switching from a Yugo to A Lincoln Town car when we switched.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Welllllll, maybe I was a little hasty - I just took it for a 16 mile spin around the block, on country roads.

Just maybe , it is a little faster, anddddddddd, it does ride a little nicer than the aluminum, and the drops were nice -----------------

Buttttttt, it isn't as comfortable, nor, does it handle as nice. And, my butt sure does miss that B-17, and my hands miss the more upright riding position. Both ends are numb ....

My vote still goes to the HYBRID Crosstrail....

buttttttt, it sure is nice to have a backup to use for a few days.
    I bet if you spent a little time and maybe a very little bit of money on getting the Nishiki dialed in to fit you just right, it would feel and handle a lot better. But I'm sure the real problem is the embarassment the bike feels after being subjected to the shame of having a kickstand added.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've varied a lot between a more upright and a more traditional road bike position. The more traditional riding position wins in every way when you become a longer, more frequent rider.

People can rationalize it and kill themselves trying to prove that their cruiser, hybrid or mountain bike is a good as a road bike. If it's on the road, and more than just around the neighbourhood, go ahead and kill yourself if you want, but there's just no comparison with a good road bike (note that I say "road bike", not "racing bike". Good fit is important though. Because of the need to get a good balance between everything, a road bike is much less tolerant of poor rider positioning. It also takes a bit of riding to get used to this position, which may not feel comfortable at first.

On the flip side, I wouldn't argue in favour of a road bike for riding in the woods. If you want to do both with the same bike, you get what the word implies: a hybrid. It works, but it's not best at anything.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode Mountain bikes for 16 years- mainly offroad but the odd occasional metric or 100 miler on the road. Change to slicks for the road and flip the stem to get more aerodynamic were the only changes. Never thought I would need a road bike but 2 1/2 years ago got one to see what the Dark Side was all about. It took a while but within a year I was buying a good road bike.(6 months later got a second Good road bike aswell)

So There I was a cyclist getting on the black stuff a bit seriously. Once I had settled into the different types of riding- These road bikes were good. The ride position on the top of the bars was not that different to the MTB- on the hoods was good and used when Pushing on a bit and if I encountered headwinds or leading other riders- the drop position was great. I enjoyed that road bike so much that I even thought about selling the MTB. It sat in the shed for a year without turning a wheel- but I did eventually realise that both types of riding are enjoyable.

So I do two different types of riding on around 6 bikes- 3 road- 2 mtb and the offroad Tandem. If I am offroad it has to be the mountain bikes or Tandem. But for road rides- The Road bikes now have to be used. None of this keeping the slicks on the 26" wheels for when they are required. I have bikes for their use and they do not interchange.

And this may be the problem I have with a hybrid. They will not go on my offroad trails and they would not be as effective as a Road bike on the black stuff.

So just a suggestion- Beg, borrow or buy a cheap S/H road bike and try it for 6 months. Then you might see what riding with your head between your knees is all about.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say this but maybe I am just too new in this to be as wise as all of you. But I enjoy riding with my wife and the occasional charity/group ride because I enjoy the riding. I like riding on the black stuff but I also like riding on the MUP and even some mild mountain trails. I do not make the money that some of you must make since it was difficult to even buy one bike for my wife and me, so there is no way I could even think of buying 2 or 3 bikes for each of us. We live out in a very rural area and the used market is non existant. I checked the craigslist for a coulpe of the cities around and for the past 4 to 5 months the only bikes listed were Xmart bike people were trying to get rid of. None of our or should I say neither of the LBS in the area carry used bikes. So I am currently extremely happy with my hybrid since it allows me to do everything I want to do.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dguest View Post
    I am currently extremely happy with my hybrid since it allows me to do everything I want to do.
    The best bike in the world is one that you enjoy riding, so you and your wife have the best bikes in the world. Don't let a bunch of bike junkies like us tell you anything different. Enjoy riding your bikes.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it let out a sigh of relief as soon as the kickstand touched it's frame. No more laying in the dirt, or against a rough tree.

I came off an old steel road bike, bought new in the 70's, to move to the Crosstrail. So, I'm no stranger to drops, pedalling long daily miles, and fitting on it. I did set up the Nishiki for myself, and it really does fit very well.

It's a Nishike Sport, 27", 12 spd. Dated from the mid to late 80's.

The Nishiki does really pedal nice, though.

It is a nice bike, just not up to my current standards, which have happened to have shifted to the Hybrid genre.

I took it for my 42 mile loop today, on the same route I almost always take, and it is the same speed as my Crosstrail. It just feels faster. The roougher spots really slow it down dramatically. Stuff I can normally cruise thru on the Crosstrail.

The Nishikiis not as comfortable or easy to handle/ride. The hybrid runs rings around this thing in the corners.

If I was to go for a century tomorrow, all on road, I think I would opt for the Hybrid, as it is that much more comfortable for me. But, I do miss the drops, as I have stated many times. I just also happen to like the flat bars on the hybrids for more comfort.

I'll stick with the Hybrid for now - but if I get rich, I may go lookng for a nice road/tour bike for more experiences, might even look for some miracle material........

But, I ain't getting rid of the Hybrid...... Specialized Crosstrail Rocks!

P.S., downtube shifting sucks - especially as you get older. I'd be much happier if the levers were at least on the stem.
    Last edited by Wanderer; 09-24-08 at 01:56 PM. Reason: addl info

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To each his own. I have an old school mountain bike, three older road bikes with long wheelbases, and one road racing bike, and I have never coveted a hybrid. If I could have just one bike, it would probably be a relaxed-geometry road bike, a notch or two above your Nishiki, but otherwise similar.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    The best bike in the world is one that you enjoy riding, so you and your wife have the best bikes in the world. Don't let a bunch of bike junkies like us tell you anything different. Enjoy riding your bikes.
    Amen, Brother.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Takes many years for a lot of us to aquire bikes and I did not manage it till just recently.

I rode the MTB on all sorts of events and surfaces as it was the only bike I had. No problem and I enjoyed the lot. Only thing is that it was a Mountain bike- did not work that well on the road and I was missing out on a bit of enjoyment on the road. Once I could afford it- I did get a road bike and now enjoy road riding even more. It was hard on the hardtail MTB.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to think that even if you ride a hybrid, you can be perfectly satisfied with it for whatever riding you do. If so, it's doing what you need it to do. If and when it starts limiting you, you will know. I'm actually medically retired on a small fixed income, so I can't afford more than one bike. That's my road bike which I bought during better times. But if I had the money and the space, I would gladly have a second, more utilitarian bike... and it might be a hybrid if I couldn't find a good, used, classic-style steel road bike (but not the kind of hybrid with suspension anything). Hybrids can be a good solution in many cases.