Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps this has already been asked but being new guy here:

How many of you only ride old steel? Am I an anachronism?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steel is real. I still ride my 1979 Centurion, and my MTB is steel. If you like riding it, ride it and - Enjoy the ride.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride steel every morning when I commute on my Orange Crush.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by texraid View Post
    Yes you are an anachronism, as are most of us here. But steel bikes are cool. I have an old steel bike ('92), but I ride my Litespeed most.

Welcome. Take your shoes off and set a spell.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of old steel riders here. I ride new steel myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my bikes (7) except one (aluminum) are steel. I never ride the aluminum bike, as I prefer the feel of steel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I knew I had anachronistic tendencies when I took my '73 Competition in to a local shop for a tuneup and owner said "You're not going to ride that are you"? "Sure that's what it was made for, what would you do with it"?......He said I'd hang it on my wall. This is a shop that has a $10,000 Orbea sitting on the floor.

Fortunately both the owner and service manager appreciate old steel and my old Raleigh was the Belle of the Ball.

Glad to know I'm not the only old fart who loves riding these old bikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I knew I had anachronistic tendencies when I took my '73 Competition in to a local shop for a tuneup and owner said "You're not going to ride that are you"? "Sure that's what it was made for, what would you do with it"?......He said I'd hang it on my wall. This is a shop that has a $10,000 Orbea sitting on the floor.

Fortunately both the owner and service manager appreciate old steel and my old Raleigh was the Belle of the Ball.

Glad to know I'm not the only old fart who loves riding these old bikes.
    Welcome. You're in the right place.

If you haven't already, check out the BF Classic & Vintage forums for even more of that warm and fuzzy feeling.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been winding down my racing career this year, so I have put 0 km on my carbon fiber Trek, I haven't ridden my aluminum Dolan track bike since Spring, and I've been doing all my riding on a steel Benotto Modelo 2700 track bike (set up as a fixie with brakes) that I purchased in 1989 at the Benotto factory in Mexico City, near the Xola metro station when I was racing down there. I've also been riding the steel Kuwahara tandem until we had the crash which has rendered my stoker hors du combat for the next little while...

What's paradoxical is that in order to be satisfied with riding a steel-frame bike, you have to own a carbon fiber bike as well (which doesn't need to be ridden). If you have the steel bike but not the carbon fiber bike, you will be unhappy riding the steel frame because you will be constantly lusting after a bike made of carbon fiber. I think the Buddhists have understood this for centuries. I think the satisfaction of riding the steel-framed fixie is partly due to having the knowledge that I can ride a full carbon race bike with 10-speed cassette if I wanted to. Maybe once you have all the material stuff you've ever wanted, you can finally forego them all to attain Nirvana?

The one concession I do make to carbon on my steel fixie is the forks, which are Reynolds Ouzo Pro with carbon steerer (1"). They used to be on the tandem until I got actual tandem-rated Wound-Up forks for it (carbon with steel 1" steerer). The Reyonolds forks are not tandem-rated, and they did flex a bit on hard stops, but they are stong enough for a 320-lb team. On the fixie, they completely outperform the steel forks that came with the frame in terms of comfort, accuracy (absolutely no problem riding no-hands at low speeds) and "responsiveness."

Steel frames are great because they last forever - you can keep repairing them. Large diameter aluminum is way too stiff for bikes (they're great on the track, but note that all top-end alu road bikes have carbon forks and stays. Do you suppose there's a reason? Plus Alu has this nasty habit of becoming extremely brittle when it gets bent. Ti is highly overrated and overpriced. I have broken every Ti frame I have ever owned. And carbon is probably the ideal frame material, but it's hard to tell when it's going to break, and it often doesn't fail gracefully. However, it will withstand way more flex cycles than steel.

L.
    Last edited by lhbernhardt; 09-26-08 at 01:17 AM. Reason: clarification added

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    What's paradoxical is that in order to be satisfied with riding a steel-frame bike, you have to own a carbon fiber bike as well (which doesn't need to be ridden). If you have the steel bike but not the carbon fiber bike, you will be unhappy riding the steel frame because you will be constantly lusting after a bike made of carbon fiber. I think the Buddhists have understood this for centuries. I think the satisfaction of riding the steel-framed fixie is partly due to having the knowledge that I can ride a full carbon race bike with 10-speed cassette if I wanted to. Maybe once you have all the material stuff you've ever wanted, you can finally forego them all to attain Nirvana?
    Lot of insight here.

In my own case, I rode a steel bike in blissful ignorance for many years. Then I started going to message boards and club rides. And the bike lust began. In this century, I have acquired an aluminum bike, a titanium bike, a folding bike, a classic three-speed Raleigh from the 60s, an Italian-built Bianchi frame, and, most recently, a fixed gear bike.

Now, after various adventures and misadventures, I'm starting to simplify my bike life. I've given away the Raleigh. I put the fixie up for sale on Craigslist. When I get around to it, I'll sell the Bianchi (too small) and might even dispense with the folder.

Quite simply, N+1 has lost its appeal for me. I've been around the block a few times, made a few stops. Now I just want to pedal home on one of my old steel bikes.

I'd also be happy to ride home on the titanium bike. Or the aluminum bike. And maybe on the way, I'll make a detour to the LBS. I hear they've got some new carbon fiber frames in stock. I mean, it doesn't hurt to look, right?
    Last edited by Jet Travis; 09-26-08 at 03:38 AM.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm an anachronism. I love my aluminium bikes!

My dentist is happy. He loves my aluminium bikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My beater (early 90s TREK 930) is probably my most-used mount. We might should view such things not as out of their time but like us, good things that last.
    AUDENTIS FORTUNA IUUAT
    - Virgil, Aeneid (Book 10, Line 284)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my steel and almost all my rides are steel, but I also enjoy the crisp
    handling of my aluminum bikes. Of course of the lowly 2000 miles I've rode
    this year, only 75 were on aluminum.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My lugged steel bikes:

'92 Bridgestone RB-1
    '92 Trek 970
    '80 Fuji S12-S

My only beer can bike is my '08 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp. Not steel, but real fun.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

road curmudgeon, FG rider GeraldChan's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1973 Nishiki Professional, 1990 Serotta Colorado II, 2002 Waterford Track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post Ihbernhart!

I bought a plastic bike for my 50th birthday and having used it for a year. I am finally getting to like it.
    Compared to a steel frame, CF feels "dead" or unresponsive. However, a properly designed CF bike will out perform any classic steel bike by any objective measure.

Since most of us are not paid to race bikes but rather we ride for pleasure; a steel framed bike may be the better choice. The road feedback from a cro/moly frame tells me exactly how much traction I have (esp in a fast turn). A steel frame on 32 or 36 spoke tubular wheels with Veloflex Criterium or Vittoria Corsa Seta tires is the ultimate in responsiveness and tactile feedback. ( I run both clinchers and tubular wheelsets on all 3 of my steel bikes, with equivalent tires, so I know what I am talking about.)

I LOVE my steel bikes!
    1973 Nishiki Professional, steel, green/black, Campy NR FG conversion, Brooks Pro
    1991 Serotta Colorado II, steel, pearl white, full DA 8 spd STI, SI Flite
    2002 Waterford 1700 Track, steel, jet black, DA, Ultegra and Phil, SI Flite
    2006 Trek Madone 5.2, carbon fiber, blue, Ultegra and Bontrager, Fizik Arione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by BSLeVan; 10-16-08 at 03:47 PM.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride steel and only own steel. Not counting Mrs. Road Fan's two aluminum bikes, tho!

Yes you are an anachronism, but you're safe here.

Road Fan

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have many bikes, mostly steel, and a few aluminum.

The steel ones get most of my miles.

Some of my steel is nice steel, some of it is heavy... but it is all fun to ride.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me- Steel is heavy and a bit flexible. But then I enjoy riding aluminium.

Saying that- I have a Kona Explosif that does give a comfortable ride. But the Bianchi aluminium does ride better.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has to be old to be a great steel ride? http://www.waterfordbikes.com/site/c...arahistory.php

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have steel, aluminum, and carbon. I've tried Ti and didn't like it; otherwise I might have one of those too.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever been on a bike that isn't steel.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should ask this question over in C&V. There's an entire forum of "anachronisms", quite popular too.
    As for me, for road bikes, my new ride is carbon, my old ride is aluminum, but my back-up remains a steel Bianchi that I've upgraded to 7 speed brifters. I'm building up a 54cm, 89 Centurion, Dave Scott, Ironman with Tange 1 tubing as a 16 speed. The frame will be original paint, fork, headset and Shimano 600 crank. Everything else will be upgrades to include Shimano 600 brifters. I'm also upgrading a 86 Fuji Team from a downtube, friction shifting 12 speed to a 14 speed brifter bike. It will be interesting to see which bike becomes my main ride.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride an old steel Clark Kent custom & have no plans to replace it so long as it is rideable.

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My stable is all steel ( most of the frames I made). However I find nothing wrong with Aluminum ,Ti or Carbon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast