Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Perhaps this has already been asked but being new guy here:

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-25-08, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How many of you only ride old steel? Am I an anachronism?
Old 09-25-08, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Steel is real. I still ride my 1979 Centurion, and my MTB is steel. If you like riding it, ride it and - Enjoy the ride.
Old 09-25-08, 07:54 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride steel every morning when I commute on my Orange Crush.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-25-08, 08:12 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texraid
Yes you are an anachronism, as are most of us here. But steel bikes are cool. I have an old steel bike ('92), but I ride my Litespeed most.

Welcome. Take your shoes off and set a spell.
Old 09-25-08, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Plenty of old steel riders here. I ride new steel myself.
Old 09-25-08, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
All my bikes (7) except one (aluminum) are steel. I never ride the aluminum bike, as I prefer the feel of steel.
Old 09-25-08, 08:49 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I knew I had anachronistic tendencies when I took my '73 Competition in to a local shop for a tuneup and owner said "You're not going to ride that are you"? "Sure that's what it was made for, what would you do with it"?......He said I'd hang it on my wall. This is a shop that has a $10,000 Orbea sitting on the floor.

Fortunately both the owner and service manager appreciate old steel and my old Raleigh was the Belle of the Ball.

Glad to know I'm not the only old fart who loves riding these old bikes.
Old 09-25-08, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Well, I knew I had anachronistic tendencies when I took my '73 Competition in to a local shop for a tuneup and owner said "You're not going to ride that are you"? "Sure that's what it was made for, what would you do with it"?......He said I'd hang it on my wall. This is a shop that has a $10,000 Orbea sitting on the floor.

Fortunately both the owner and service manager appreciate old steel and my old Raleigh was the Belle of the Ball.

Glad to know I'm not the only old fart who loves riding these old bikes.
Welcome. You're in the right place.

If you haven't already, check out the BF Classic & Vintage forums for even more of that warm and fuzzy feeling.
Old 09-26-08, 01:12 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have been winding down my racing career this year, so I have put 0 km on my carbon fiber Trek, I haven't ridden my aluminum Dolan track bike since Spring, and I've been doing all my riding on a steel Benotto Modelo 2700 track bike (set up as a fixie with brakes) that I purchased in 1989 at the Benotto factory in Mexico City, near the Xola metro station when I was racing down there. I've also been riding the steel Kuwahara tandem until we had the crash which has rendered my stoker hors du combat for the next little while...

What's paradoxical is that in order to be satisfied with riding a steel-frame bike, you have to own a carbon fiber bike as well (which doesn't need to be ridden). If you have the steel bike but not the carbon fiber bike, you will be unhappy riding the steel frame because you will be constantly lusting after a bike made of carbon fiber. I think the Buddhists have understood this for centuries. I think the satisfaction of riding the steel-framed fixie is partly due to having the knowledge that I can ride a full carbon race bike with 10-speed cassette if I wanted to. Maybe once you have all the material stuff you've ever wanted, you can finally forego them all to attain Nirvana?

The one concession I do make to carbon on my steel fixie is the forks, which are Reynolds Ouzo Pro with carbon steerer (1"). They used to be on the tandem until I got actual tandem-rated Wound-Up forks for it (carbon with steel 1" steerer). The Reyonolds forks are not tandem-rated, and they did flex a bit on hard stops, but they are stong enough for a 320-lb team. On the fixie, they completely outperform the steel forks that came with the frame in terms of comfort, accuracy (absolutely no problem riding no-hands at low speeds) and "responsiveness."

Steel frames are great because they last forever - you can keep repairing them. Large diameter aluminum is way too stiff for bikes (they're great on the track, but note that all top-end alu road bikes have carbon forks and stays. Do you suppose there's a reason? Plus Alu has this nasty habit of becoming extremely brittle when it gets bent. Ti is highly overrated and overpriced. I have broken every Ti frame I have ever owned. And carbon is probably the ideal frame material, but it's hard to tell when it's going to break, and it often doesn't fail gracefully. However, it will withstand way more flex cycles than steel.

L.

Last edited by lhbernhardt; 09-26-08 at 01:17 AM. Reason: clarification added
Old 09-26-08, 03:33 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
What's paradoxical is that in order to be satisfied with riding a steel-frame bike, you have to own a carbon fiber bike as well (which doesn't need to be ridden). If you have the steel bike but not the carbon fiber bike, you will be unhappy riding the steel frame because you will be constantly lusting after a bike made of carbon fiber. I think the Buddhists have understood this for centuries. I think the satisfaction of riding the steel-framed fixie is partly due to having the knowledge that I can ride a full carbon race bike with 10-speed cassette if I wanted to. Maybe once you have all the material stuff you've ever wanted, you can finally forego them all to attain Nirvana?
Lot of insight here.

In my own case, I rode a steel bike in blissful ignorance for many years. Then I started going to message boards and club rides. And the bike lust began. In this century, I have acquired an aluminum bike, a titanium bike, a folding bike, a classic three-speed Raleigh from the 60s, an Italian-built Bianchi frame, and, most recently, a fixed gear bike.

Now, after various adventures and misadventures, I'm starting to simplify my bike life. I've given away the Raleigh. I put the fixie up for sale on Craigslist. When I get around to it, I'll sell the Bianchi (too small) and might even dispense with the folder.

Quite simply, N+1 has lost its appeal for me. I've been around the block a few times, made a few stops. Now I just want to pedal home on one of my old steel bikes.

I'd also be happy to ride home on the titanium bike. Or the aluminum bike. And maybe on the way, I'll make a detour to the LBS. I hear they've got some new carbon fiber frames in stock. I mean, it doesn't hurt to look, right?

Last edited by Jet Travis; 09-26-08 at 03:38 AM.
Old 09-26-08, 04:24 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I'm an anachronism. I love my aluminium bikes!

My dentist is happy. He loves my aluminium bikes.
Old 09-26-08, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
My beater (early 90s TREK 930) is probably my most-used mount. We might should view such things not as out of their time but like us, good things that last.
Old 09-26-08, 06:16 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love my steel and almost all my rides are steel, but I also enjoy the crisp
handling of my aluminum bikes. Of course of the lowly 2000 miles I've rode
this year, only 75 were on aluminum.
Old 09-26-08, 06:37 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My lugged steel bikes:

'92 Bridgestone RB-1
'92 Trek 970
'80 Fuji S12-S

My only beer can bike is my '08 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp. Not steel, but real fun.
Old 09-26-08, 07:05 AM
road curmudgeon, FG rider

Bikes: 1973 Nishiki Professional, 1990 Serotta Colorado II, 2002 Waterford Track

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great post Ihbernhart!

I bought a plastic bike for my 50th birthday and having used it for a year. I am finally getting to like it.
Compared to a steel frame, CF feels "dead" or unresponsive. However, a properly designed CF bike will out perform any classic steel bike by any objective measure.

Since most of us are not paid to race bikes but rather we ride for pleasure; a steel framed bike may be the better choice. The road feedback from a cro/moly frame tells me exactly how much traction I have (esp in a fast turn). A steel frame on 32 or 36 spoke tubular wheels with Veloflex Criterium or Vittoria Corsa Seta tires is the ultimate in responsiveness and tactile feedback. ( I run both clinchers and tubular wheelsets on all 3 of my steel bikes, with equivalent tires, so I know what I am talking about.)

I LOVE my steel bikes!
Old 09-26-08, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by BSLeVan; 10-16-08 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 10:47 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
I ride steel and only own steel. Not counting Mrs. Road Fan's two aluminum bikes, tho!

Yes you are an anachronism, but you're safe here.

Road Fan
Old 09-26-08, 12:11 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have many bikes, mostly steel, and a few aluminum.

The steel ones get most of my miles.

Some of my steel is nice steel, some of it is heavy... but it is all fun to ride.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-26-08, 12:24 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For me- Steel is heavy and a bit flexible. But then I enjoy riding aluminium.

Saying that- I have a Kona Explosif that does give a comfortable ride. But the Bianchi aluminium does ride better.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-26-08, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has to be old to be a great steel ride? https://www.waterfordbikes.com/site/c...arahistory.php
Old 09-26-08, 01:14 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I have steel, aluminum, and carbon. I've tried Ti and didn't like it; otherwise I might have one of those too.
Old 09-26-08, 02:10 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I've ever been on a bike that isn't steel.
Old 09-26-08, 02:43 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I think you should ask this question over in C&V. There's an entire forum of "anachronisms", quite popular too.
As for me, for road bikes, my new ride is carbon, my old ride is aluminum, but my back-up remains a steel Bianchi that I've upgraded to 7 speed brifters. I'm building up a 54cm, 89 Centurion, Dave Scott, Ironman with Tange 1 tubing as a 16 speed. The frame will be original paint, fork, headset and Shimano 600 crank. Everything else will be upgrades to include Shimano 600 brifters. I'm also upgrading a 86 Fuji Team from a downtube, friction shifting 12 speed to a 14 speed brifter bike. It will be interesting to see which bike becomes my main ride.
Old 09-26-08, 04:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride an old steel Clark Kent custom & have no plans to replace it so long as it is rideable.
Old 09-26-08, 04:54 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My stable is all steel ( most of the frames I made). However I find nothing wrong with Aluminum ,Ti or Carbon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.