Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Disk wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 03:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Disk wheels

I have a deal going with the bike shop for some wheels for my Jamis, which has disk brakes and I was wondering what would be a good set of wheels with disk brakes. I have Ritchey Aero OCR 32 spoke 3X on the bike now, thanks.
Old 09-24-08, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by George
I have a deal going with the bike shop for some wheels for my Jamis, which has disk brakes and I was wondering what would be a good set of wheels with disk brakes. I have Ritchey Aero OCR 32 spoke 3X on the bike now, thanks.
I should have added, the bike shop is Specialized bikes so I'll have to see what brands he can get.
Old 09-25-08, 04:29 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I have had very good results with a pair of previous years Mavic Crossrides. I'm not sure what your LBS can do with this price though.

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/159...c-Wheelset.htm

If you are very loyal to the shop though they might sell you these for $250 or so.
Old 09-25-08, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Have them make you a set of wheels with White industries hubs, Mavic A-317 rims and Sapim CX-Ray spokes.
Old 09-25-08, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
I have had very good results with a pair of previous years Mavic Crossrides. I'm not sure what your LBS can do with this price though.

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/159...c-Wheelset.htm

If you are very loyal to the shop though they might sell you these for $250 or so.
Thanks Maxx, they look like a nice wheel.but I wonder about the low spoke count. Did you have them on your tamdem bike?
Old 09-25-08, 06:44 AM

I just read about the wheels and they are 26" wheels, thanks anyway.
Old 09-25-08, 07:22 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Are your Jamis wheels specific to the model...........as in 4 bolt rotors. If so your choice will be very limited.
Old 09-25-08, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Are your Jamis wheels specific to the model...........as in 4 bolt rotors. If so your choice will be very limited.
No they are 6 bolt and are Ritchey hubs. I wanted to upgrade them to something, but I'm finding that I don't have much of a choice.

I have the Open Pro's on my Roubaix and he said they would give me Mavic Ksyruim Equipe to replace the Open Sports, that were on the bike when I got it. I think the Open Pro's are better than the Equipe, so instead of getting something for the Roubaix, I would upgrade the wheels on the Jamis. He said $125 and the Open Sports, he would give me the Ksyruim Equipe's.
Old 09-25-08, 07:54 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have found that when using disc brakes, choices get limited for road bikes. The frame opening will limit you to certain hubs which will limit you to certain drive trains.

The discs themselves will limit you on wheels as there is a lot of torque and you can't use some of the lighter wheelsets.

But when it comes to stopping in the rain, you just can't beat them.
Old 09-25-08, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by gear
I have found that when using disc brakes, choices get limited for road bikes. The frame opening will limit you to certain hubs which will limit you to certain drive trains.

The discs themselves will limit you on wheels as there is a lot of torque and you can't use some of the lighter wheelsets.

But when it comes to stopping in the rain, you just can't beat them.
I wonder if I should just take the Ksyruim Equipe's, for a back up and call it a day.
Old 09-25-08, 08:18 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
^^^ What gear said.

Most rear disc hubs are 135mm. Most road bikes, disc or not, are 130mm. Mine are.

Given how pleased I've been with hand-build wheels, I'll be having a set built-up for next season. I've decided on the Velocity VXC disc-specific hoops.

I still have plenty of time to decide on hubs, but it turns out, Velocity also makes a 32-hole 130mm rear disk hub (scroll to bottom).

Of course, were I made of money, so does Phil Wood.

Edit: Of course, I'm assuming 700C here. If 26", then those wheelsets and 135mm hubs are common as pennies.

Last edited by tsl; 09-25-08 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-25-08, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by tsl
^^^ What gear said.

Most rear disc hubs are 135mm. Most road bikes, disc or not, are 130mm. Mine are.

Given how pleased I've been with hand-build wheels, I'll be having a set built-up for next season. I've decided on the Velocity VXC disc-specific hoops.

I still have plenty of time to decide on hubs, but it turns out, Velocity also makes a 32-hole 130mm rear disk hub (scroll to bottom).

Of course, were I made of money, so does Phil Wood.
Thanks for the reply but, I dont think the Specialized dealer would get me the Velocity wheels. That's the problem I have to go through him.
Old 09-25-08, 09:14 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I wonder if I should just take the Ksyruim Equipe's, for a back up and call it a day.
Those are nice if you can't get them to build the others I suggested. The Sapim spokes are great as they don't break easily and are flat.

If you run into the rocket, tell him he shouldn't have become a Yankee, the Sox would never have treated him so shabbily. But then we will never allow Fenway to be torn down so there would be no ceremony at which to ignore him.
Old 09-25-08, 11:13 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for the reply but, I dont think the Specialized dealer would get me the Velocity wheels. That's the problem I have to go through him.
Why not? They're distributed through QBP. Everyone buys from QBP.
Old 09-25-08, 12:29 PM

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi George,

I have a similar problem...disc 700C wheels on my Kona, but they are low end. Sunrims MZ-14 rims, Deore rear hub, no name (Formula?) front hub. Running Conti CountryRide tires (700/37). I like the way it rides but have been thinking of changing tires to some 28s.. then started thinking it would be good to get new wheels for the 28 tires and be able to swap out wheels depending on the type of riding. I do some fireroad/limestone trail stuff..but not that often.

I have 135mm rear spacing....I may be wrong but I think the so called 29er wheels are 700C, so I may explore those options. Should be ok as long as I don't go smaller than 28s.

Pete
Old 09-25-08, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by dawes56
Hi George,

I have a similar problem...disc 700C wheels on my Kona, but they are low end. Sunrims MZ-14 rims, Deore rear hub, no name (Formula?) front hub. Running Conti CountryRide tires (700/37). I like the way it rides but have been thinking of changing tires to some 28s.. then started thinking it would be good to get new wheels for the 28 tires and be able to swap out wheels depending on the type of riding. I do some fireroad/limestone trail stuff..but not that often.

I have 135mm rear spacing....I may be wrong but I think the so called 29er wheels are 700C, so I may explore those options. Should be ok as long as I don't go smaller than 28s.

Pete
The guy at the bike shop said to call tonight to see what he came up with. I'll let you know. Right now I have 32mm Panaracers on the bike, which I like a lot.
Old 09-25-08, 01:53 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I bet if you contacted Velocity they'd build what you wanted and ship direct to you. Give the LBS a chance then if they refuse, bypass them. My Velocity Thracians have been the most trouble-free wheels I've ever had. They're cool-looking, strong, fast, and not overly expensive. I liked them so much, I put a Spartacus Pro on the rear of my new recumbent.

( Velocity's email is velocity@velocityusa.com )
Old 09-25-08, 04:27 PM

I guess I'll have to get the disk wheels later. He said he could get them, but they would cost more than the Mavic Aksium's. He told me Equipe's before, but just changed that. It was the rotors that ran the cost up. There's nothing wrong with the disk wheels I have now, but I wanted to upgrade them. Anyway the Aksium's are going to be the one's I get. Thanks for all the replies and help and when I do need disk wheels I'll probably get the Velocity as I've read a lot about them.
Old 09-25-08, 06:37 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The guy at the bike shop said to call tonight to see what he came up with. I'll let you know. Right now I have 32mm Panaracers on the bike, which I like a lot.
32 Panaracers

That is a nice tire.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-26-08, 10:47 AM

I just worked out a deal, which I feel better about. I told the dealer to get the Velocity Aerohead O/C wheels and he said OK.