Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't let your non-riding sig other see this

CBS golf analysts David Feherty is a 50+ rider who tells this cautionary tale with great wit, but does not gloss over his encounter with a pick up truck and trailer. Not for the faint of heart (and lung and elbow). From the Dallas publication D Magazine. Apologizes if it has already been posted.

http://tinyurl.com/3lnfjo
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by BSLeVan; 10-16-08 at 03:46 PM.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, man. That s*cks for him. While I enjoyed his humor and agree with his advice for our elected officials, I feel for him. I hope he recovers and becomes an advocate for legislature changes to traffic laws. His experiences qualify him to scare the bejesus out of (or into) lawmakers.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link. Great story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope he sued the driver.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an incredible article.......I'll have to make a point to catch up with Feherty when he is in town next Spring for our PGA tournament and get him out on the road with us. HOPEFULLY, we'll have an uneventful ride!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas riding is definitely the suck. I almost get hit every single time that I go out. Being on a bike in these parts is like being a snake in the road. Seems like everybody wants to take their turn trying to hit you. Definitely keeps you on your toes though, and taking the lane to discourage drivers from trying to squeeze you is about the only thing that consistently helps.

Ride safe all.

My Bikes
    trek antelop 830 & 1999 rans rocket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am visiting Evansville, Indiana right now as I write this and believe me it is that bad maybe even worse down here. It is a bit beyond scarey taking to the roads here. Chicago is sure more bike friendly than here.
    recycled55

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rule View Post
    Dallas riding is definitely the suck. I almost get hit every single time that I go out. Being on a bike in these parts is like being a snake in the road. Seems like everybody wants to take their turn trying to hit you. Definitely keeps you on your toes though, and taking the lane to discourage drivers from trying to squeeze you is about the only thing that consistently helps.
    I am really said to read this. I lived in Dallas when I got out of college, and started my "serious" adult cycling in Dallas way back in 1980. The article has this quote: "In the less than three years I have been cycling, I have endured shouted obscenities, been hit by a flying bottle, blown away by horns, spat on, and several times deliberately forced off the road by vehicles."

That was my experience in Dallas, too - sorry to hear it has not changed.

BTW, I left Dallas in 1981 and moved to Los Angeles -- despite increased traffic, I found it a much easier / better place to ride a bike, partly because there were a lot more bikes on the road, and I think drivers were more accustomed to seeing bikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got back from spending six months flying an airplane in Afghanistan. My wife is more concerned about my safety, now, riding my bike than when I was flying around the Hindu Kush.

She knows the white line and six inches of broken pavement is not nearly enough. And so do I. Be safe. Or be as safe as you can given the idiots in dualies and extra wide trailers.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get a lot of riders from the DFW area that come 70-100 miles to ride our scenic hills with 2 lane roads. Now I know why.

BTW, Feherty has written some of the most hilarious books I've ever read.

"A Nasty Bit of Rough" had me laughing so hard I was crying most of the book. I hope he writes a follow-up for that one.

"Somewhere in Ireland, a Village is Missing an Idiot" is equally hilarious!
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A disturbing story well-told with humor, and I'm glad he's recovered. I wonder if wearing a mirror might have shown him how close the truck was and given him time to respond.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    BTW, I left Dallas in 1981 and moved to Los Angeles -- despite increased traffic, I found it a much easier / better place to ride a bike, partly because there were a lot more bikes on the road, and I think drivers were more accustomed to seeing bikes.
    Except for 4 years of high school in nearby Huntington Beach, I spent my first 30 years in west Los Angeles. I got hit once in a left-cross by a motorist who simply did not see me, but otherwise my 100k km + experience was quite positive. I could always find good side streets, and motorists were generally quite tolerant. My experience in north coastal San Diego County, my home for the past 27 years, has also been good, although I miss the old-school interconnected grid of lower-speed residential streets and do not like always been funneled onto fast prime arterials if I need to cover any appreciable distance. I know I am over-generalizing, but I have read some downright disturbing things about cycling in Florida, Texas, and a few other states.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069