Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Sweet two words

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet two words

Got up this morning and got ready for the Friday group ride. After breakfast of oatmeal and a banana and about 30 minutes to digest it I left for the meeting place. All the way there I had last Wednesdays ride in my head, which was one of the faster rides we have had to date. When I pulled up to the group I noticed it was smaller than it had been Monday or Wednesday so I was a bit worried about where they would want to go. Then I heard two words that made me smile, “recovery ride”.

I know my face must have almost exploded with a smile as I contemplated actually being able to see the other riders all the way to the coffee shop where we all were to meet up at the end of the ride. The ride was at least 4 MPH slower than the one on Wednesday and I was feeling pretty good about myself. At about 11 miles out I was riding next to one of our club riders and just asked if he was doing OK. His response was, “Ya, but I was just thinking about the three hills we will be hitting on this ride.” This news just about took the wind out of my sails.

About then I saw the first hill and even though I did my best I started falling back after less than 50 yards. By the top of the hill my legs were burning but I still had some energy left. I downed about 1/3 of a bottle of hydration drink and tried to close with the other riders. I was doing OK till we hit the second hill. I pushed this one a lot harder than the first and my legs burned a bit more. More hydration liquid and I continued on. Then the third hill and I just had to drop three gears and motor on as best as I could.

Lucky for me the riders in front were in no hurry so I could still see them. Finally I managed to pull up on the group and we cruised for about 5 miles on a steady uphill grade to the turn around point at a ranger station. The ride back to the coffee shop was all down hill for the same 5 miles. To me the best part was I got to the coffee shop about the same time as everyone else. I think I like recovery rides.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean. My LBS runs a shop ride called the Monday Night Small Ring Ride that's billed as a recovery ride. Mostly it's racer chics in their 20s and me. I keep up.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you were still working pretty hard - sound like you still need a recovery ride, don't burn yourself out.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    I know what you mean. My LBS runs a shop ride called the Monday Night Small Ring Ride that's billed as a recovery ride. Mostly it's racer chics in their 20s and me. I keep up.
    Well now that is a different story. You have a whole different reason for wanting to keep the other riders in “sight”.