Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cadence

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 01:00 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pop's
I also have a Polka Band and play music on weekends. I play guitar, elec bass, and tuba + sing in 4 languages. The only thing I find is the ground is getting farther away when I have to pick something up.

Pop's
Wow, that is so cool. I've always wanted to play the accordion, dress in lederhosen, get up on stage with a ja-ja band and shout, "Everybody, Polka!"

L.
Old 10-06-08, 08:12 AM
FRUGAL GERMAN

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cadance

My band is called Rennie & THE HAPPY TRAVELERS, if you have a satalite dish you can see us on RFD TV BIg Joe's Polka show some times. He is on Wed. nite at 6pm C and 9pm C on Sat Nites. Just look for a Tuba with a lot of stickers. We are presently making a Christmas video and havin a blast.

Haven't been able to ride this weekend, as I broke a spoke and did not have a spare. The bike shop closed Fri. nite to be at the MS 150 ride to the Gulf Coast. So I have to take my bike in this morning when they open. I had to walk this morning and lift weights. I do not have lights on the Mountain Bike.

Pop's
Old 10-06-08, 06:52 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Just a few points Pop's

- Every one has their own 'natural' cadence and at your age, it's going to be less than 90, however, you won't find it until you learn to spin at 90. Learn to ride at that and then let your body tell you where to ride.

- Don't get too complicated about the cycle stroke - that's probably relevant for someone chasing ultimate performance but not for most riders. A trick that I've found smoothes my stroke out immediately is concentrate only on the bottom of the stroke - I pretend I'm trying to scrape something off the bottom of my shoe. You'll find this smoothes out the stroke almost immediately and you can forget about it.

- Don't try to learn a high cadence on a 'normal' ride - you'll be too concerned about other stuff. Get a flat bit of road and go real slow in a low gear. I learned this trick while riding with my girlfriend. She's very nervous and very slow and we only ride on flat, straight bike tracks. Riding along at about 15km/hr, it was easy to gear right down and spin up. It didn't take long.

- getting the cadence right is all about gear selection. If your cadence is too low, just go down a gear or two, you really don't need to do anything else because your body will sort it all out.

Learning to spin is all about teaching your brain and legs that they can travel that fast. Once they learn the trick, they learn to appreciate it.

I've often observed that, when you find yourself in a slightly too high gear, if you go down a gear to increase your cadence, a short time later you'll find yourself back in that higher gear but riding faster (and maintaining that cadence).

I equate it to climbing stairs - taking them one at a time is a lot easier on the legs than taking them three at a time.

While some people do quite well with low cadences, most will do better with high cadences - you won't know where you fit into the scheme until you learn to ride at high cadences and then drift back to what your body likes.

Best of luck with it.

Richard
Old 10-08-08, 12:56 PM
FRUGAL GERMAN

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cadance

Hey guy's I am up to between 75-80 on cadance for almost my entire morning ride of 5.7 mi ride. Lower gears and higher cadance is great. It was 48 degrees this morning, and I did not even break a sweat. Thanks again.

Pop's