Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why are all customer bikes filthy.

Perhaps, riders who clean their bikes more often have fewer problems..........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bad one came in?

I hate to admit it but my commuter is a real pig, though my recreational
    steeds are well looked after...clean and adjusted.

NeoRetroGrouch
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because if they were going to wash it themselves, they would work on it themselves - at least for the non-major stuff. - TF

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A clean bike is a happy bike.

So it makes sense that a dirty bike harbors bitterness and resentment.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my neck of the woods, with gravel/dirt rail trails, a used bike is a dirty bike. You can clean your bike until it is sparkling and 30 miles later, it is caked with dirt - including the chain, derailleurs, and cassette.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clean my bike after every ride. They look like the day I bought them.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guys who don't clean their bikes don't do anything else to them either. Soon, they notice something really isn't right and they bring it into the shop. I worked on a ride buddies bike while he was on vacation, and cleaned, lubed, adjusted and tuned everything. It was literally like new when I gave it back to him. However, it's the last time I'm going to do that. If he doesn't care about it, why should I? Paying for work may motivate him to change his ways. Getting someone else to do it for free sure won't. bk

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like me, my bikes have never been within 100 miles of obsessive compulsive disorder. Like me, especially on tour, sometimes they're ridden hard and put away wet, but it's all good. I take reasonably good care of them, but I'm not very fussy. They don't seem particularly fussy either. Everyone's happy.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep mine lubed and wash them once a month (about every 500 miles). Clean bikes are usually not well used bike. Mine is rarely clean but often ridden.
    Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its like a dirty car. The paint job takes a beating with each ride as more moisture mixed in with road dirt collects, dries, in an endless cycle.

Good habits starts with your own personal hygiene, but not always.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    In my neck of the woods, with gravel/dirt rail trails, a used bike is a dirty bike. You can clean your bike until it is sparkling and 30 miles later, it is caked with dirt - including the chain, derailleurs, and cassette.
    Yep. Mine was embarrassingly dirty today and I just cleaned it not too long ago. I need to do it more often.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you paid to work on bikes or whine?
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Me too. Dirty bikes are a no no for someone with OCD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not obsessive about cleaning my bikes. I clean them when they need it or when I have the time and feel like it. But I always clean them before doing any major work on them because I don't want the dirt to fall into the inner workings of the parts and mechanisms.

I certainly make sure they are clean before taking them to someone else to work on them. I figure that if they see a clean bike, they will assume the owner cares about the bike and that will encourage them to do a better, more complete job. A filthy bike would likely send the opposite message.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as cleaning up your kid before taking them to the ER is a sign of abuse, cleaning your bike before you take it to the wrench is a sign of.....something.

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't cleaning your bike before you take it to a shop like cleaning your house before the maid comes in?

My Bikes
    Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velonomad View Post
    Isn't cleaning your bike before you take it to a shop like cleaning your house before the maid comes in?
    That might make the wrench OP angry. His job is probably not really to wash the bike, just to fix it.

My Bikes
    Raleigh MTRAX, Ribble Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My local bike shop will only clean a bike if they need to in able to fix/work on it. They charge handsomely for this privilege!

I actually try to clean both of my bikes on a weekly basis. It doesn't really matter what they look like as long as the important moving bits are clean and lubed. All I want from my bike is a trouble free ride with no annoying noises from the mechanical parts. Huffing and puffing is allowed and expected.

The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    That's the way I do it George. These people over here can't believe that my bikes are up to 28 years old.
    Burr,
    I Push Iron & Turn Cranks!
    Yoga, Pilates & Orchids
    I Stay Busy, I have GOPD

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clean my bikes regularly, but certainly not after every ride, I'm too tired after a ride. But, my well used bikes, the ones that show wear, become dirty. That's a fact. I clean them as time allows. My LBS gets in some filthy, mud caked MTBs. I asked the head mechanic about it when I brought in my FSR XC in less than it's usually clean condition. His comment "It's a mountain bike, what should I expect" "I can see you use it for it's intended purpose, I like that". Just thought I'd pass that along.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do all my own work on my bikes. The only time a bike of mine would ever go into a shop would be to have the frame repaired, and for that it would be stripped down and cleaned anyway. So my working bike gets washed at least weekly, which is much more frequently than my car, which I hardly ever wash.

I do none of my own work on the car. I take it in according to the service routine (the Subaru Legacy wagon is over 8 years old and long out of warranty, but I still take it in to the dealer). One of the things they do is to wash the car (and vacuum the interior).

I guess when you're charging $70-90/hr for labor, you can afford to give the vehicle a free wash (it's never on the invoice). It's usually done by some young gopher anyway. I guess it's a step up from working at Mickey D's.

L.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Are you paid to work on bikes or whine?
    It's not an either/or situation. Anyone who cleans up other peoples' messes for modest wages has the right to complain.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clean and lube the chain every 100 miles and that is it.
    My 3 bikes cause no trouble and I bike on limestone. That stuff is terrible. Washing the bike may actually do more harm than good. The fine limestone dust may be washed into joints and bearings. There is no chance of getting the bikes 100% clean unless you completely disassemble it and then there is a good chance that that will damage things.
    I do understand bike racers on roads wanting their bikes clean. Looks better and gives you the illusion that a clean bike is a happy biker.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my bikes like I like my ladies. Clean and well lubed.

Any machine with moving part or bearings should get normal upkeep. I live on the ocean and the salt air and sand make it a must.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Perhaps, riders who clean their bikes more often have fewer problems..........
    I would guess this is true.

I'm not obsessive about cleaning my bikes, but if they are up on the mechanics stand for any kind of tweak I get out my cleaning stuff and clean them. It's one of the things I like about the stand -- I can pull the wheels off, get a bucket of sudsy water, lube, some rags and brushes and have it clean in a few minutes.

Cleaning the bike also forces you to stay current on what's going on with the bike (brake pad wear, tire wear, cable stretch, etc.)....so I think cleaning / maintenance go together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast