Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question on the Titanium level announcement

I just noticed this morning the Titanium Level announcement at the top of the list. I read it and it seems as though they are quite proud of what they are giving you for the $25. My question is, if carbon is so great then why is it the Titanium level and not the Carbon level? Would the carbon level cost more? or would it be more delicate? Just wonderin...

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Carbon" by itself is a confusing term these days. To us it just means carbon fiber, but in a political context it has a totally different and somewhat negative meaning. Here in British Columbia, the government has recently instituted a "carbon tax." This means that you pay extra for each liter of gasoline, diesel, or propane, and the rate increases each year. Federally, the Liberals are pushing a carbon tax in association with a "green shift" (nobody in Canada understands what Stephane Dion means by this, so don't worry). Also, under a "cap-and-trade" system (coming to California?), you get to trade "carbon credits."

So if we had a carbon level, things would get confusing real fast. Actually, I like the idea of carbon credits. I think I should be able to sell credits and take the cash because I offset the effects of others' driving their cars to work while I ride my bike.

L.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what Titanium Level members will talk about in their exclusive forum?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I don't know either, but I find them elitist.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are saving the CF level for a more elitist group. Just after the Scandium and Renolds 531.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a member of the generic alloy group.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably their CF bikes, what else.

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the number of posts last time I looked, they don't talk at all.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some folks will pay for silence...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I think the Titanium Level folks will consider the many of us red star folks the elitist; since we never have to pay again and they have to pay up every year.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me, too! Maybe TruF will give us the low-down!

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    They are saving the CF level for a more elitist group. Just after the Scandium and Renolds 531.
    I'm holding out for 953.

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OTHER other materials.....shhhhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    Me, too! Maybe TruF will give us the low-down!
    Hi,

Don't think I ever posted there. I didn't join to get more bennies; I joined to pay my way. Kind of like NPR pledge drives.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops. I did post there. They have a thread for titanium levelers who are having technical problems, which I was. Once I was at the new level, I could no longer post or send email! They fixed it right away. No other interesting stuff going on there that I can see.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new arrangement confuses me and I'm usually fairly savvy at finding my way around web sites. I can't find "notification" posts to reply to someone who sent me a "notification". What's the difference between a "notification" and a "Private Message"? Is there a CF level?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Actually, I think the Titanium Level folks will consider the many of us red star folks the elitist; since we never have to pay again and they have to pay up every year.

So..... If you sign up for titanium, and you already have a red star, do you revert back to a red star if you decide to not renew your titanium? I mean, after all, you did sign up initially for 30 years...

Or, do you just fade off into nothingness?????
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect you fade to nothingness. The red star will be gone, and a year from now nobody will know you ever had it.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps one other bennie will be that the mods will never delete a post to the Titanium forum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in GA View Post
    So..... If you sign up for titanium, and you already have a red star, do you revert back to a red star if you decide to not renew your titanium? I mean, after all, you did sign up initially for 30 years...

Or, do you just fade off into nothingness?????
    NO. If you sign up for Titanium and then decide not to join again, you get to still have your red star for the remainder of the 30 years.

By the way. We are giving away 10 free memberships. Photo Contest with Prizes: "How Fred can ya Get?"
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    NO. If you sign up for Titanium and then decide not to join again, you get to still have your red star for the remainder of the 30 years.

By the way. We are giving away 10 free memberships. Photo Contest with Prizes: "How Fred can ya Get?"
    If I don't last the 30 years - I think I have about 25 left, actually, which puts me at 94 years old when it expires - can I will it to someone?

Anyone here want to be willed a red star?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha ha Dnvr....you are funny. We are gonna let you keep it anyway. That way people can go back on your posts and still learn things. And they will see that you were a red star! No go post a Fred pic!! It ends in a couple of days. I want someone from here to win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we need a special star for those no longer with us. Seriously. I know of two BFN members who have left this world. They should be honored by a gold star or something.

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    The new arrangement confuses me and I'm usually fairly savvy at finding my way around web sites. I can't find "notification" posts to reply to someone who sent me a "notification". What's the difference between a "notification" and a "Private Message"? Is there a CF level?
    Hi,

Got an answer to this one because I had the same question! If you click someone's name and see their profile, on the top left corner under "send message", you have the option of either posting a visitor message, a PM or an email from the drop down menu. If you post a visitor message, it appears as a "notification" under the "Welcome" blurb in the top right corner of the person to whom you posted the visitor message. Much easier to just send a private message. I only did this to communicate with you when technical problems prevented me from contacting you any other way.

Moderators, did I get this right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I think we need a special star for those no longer with us. Seriously. I know of two BFN members who have left this world. They should be honored by a gold star or something.
    You know what? That is a wonderful idea, actually. I'll forward this to those that can make a difference in regard to that if possible.

In the meanwhile, we do have this: Bike Forum - Wall of Remembrance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast