Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: No ride today

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No ride today

No ride today due to another pressing task in hand.

The Cul de Sac in which I live is very friendly and if you have a major job to do- You call a work party and the neighbours give you a hand. Now one of the neighbours has a skill that most of us want and that is he is an Electrician. Several of us have used his services but what can the rest of us do in return for him giving his time to us?

So last night- We had a party in my garden for him. It was his 60th so something to celebrate but He has a very small garden- and we don't. Plenty of free flowing wine and beer to hand and the bar-B-que worked overtime. But that was not the reason for not riding.

He had a tree in his garden that was a bit overpowering. So it was decided that today- we would take the tree down for him. Started at 10- and he left at 7 for his holiday in Florida. 6 hours later and the tree is no more. Branches shredded and on the compost heap and plenty of logs for the Bonfire.

So if you see a smug Englishman walking round Orlando in the next week- if his name is Albert- tell him His tree has gone. And his fence- and the Conservatory has a very small hole on it and a bigger hole on the other side.

So Missed ride this weekend- Nothing for it but I might be taking a sickie this week to get a ride in.

couple of pics and the garden is small and there was a heck of tree to fit in it when on the ground. I am in the green T and Wayne is the tree feller. Glad I am not the only one that climb trees. Don't mind climbing them- It the falling out that I no longer like.

And to keep it bike related- Managed to talk the others into a bike ride when Albert gets back- They want him to suffer as much as we did today and they want to see him suffer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapfam; 09-28-08 at 12:53 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in the states we have a theory that if your grass and weeds gets high enough the neighbors will cut it. Seems to work in the UK Love the architecture of the homes BTW. are they row houses or individual structures?

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only another cyclist can relate to what you gave up to do your neighborly duty.

We also didn't ride. The weather was perfect, the bikes ready to go, but work beckoned...not just housework, but real work. It pains me to pass up a fine day because soon these days will be the exception, rather than the rule.

I hope to take some time during the week to make up for our lost opportunities this weekend. I hope you get a ride or two in as well, Stap.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like tight quarters to take a knarly old tree down. Did you replant one in its' place?
    I also didn't ride, just too rainy. But I did finally change the battery in my comtpuer. I ride would have been better.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    Looks like tight quarters to take a knarly old tree down. Did you replant one in its' place?
    I also didn't ride, just too rainy. But I did finally change the battery in my comtpuer. I ride would have been better.
    Space was tight- but problem was that it was overhanging the neighbours garden at the back.Under where the tree was overhanging- was a new shed that they had recently put up. Then there were the fences- One of which was mine. But down in 6ft sections and nothing damaged.

Haven't planted a replacement yet- but that will happen- along with the 8 I have planted in my garden in the last 10 years or so. Problem is that we have got tree conscious here in the UK and everyone thinks of British Native trees. Ash- Sycamore- Chestnut- field Maple and Oaks. They grow to 60ft and as gardens are normally about 30'x30'- they soon overtake the growing space.

In fact- Two neighbours saw us taking the tree down and we have another couple to trim up. Hopefully to ground level. Big trees just don't work when you are restricted on space. Just like big bikes when you are a bit on the short side.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velonomad View Post
    Love the architecture of the homes BTW. are they row houses or individual structures?
    The houses were built by 'Bell & Pearson' in the sixties - I know because I bought one and my parents house is just out of view. They're individual structures - brick built with a cavity wall and cinder blocks inside, with a render and plaster finish.

Glad you like the architecture!
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    In fact- Two neighbours saw us taking the tree down and we have another couple to trim up.
    Ummm...do you guys travel?

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    {Love the architecture of the homes BTW. are they row houses or individual structures? **

Funny, those were my first thoughts as well!