Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncle Duke is single (speed) now

I finally got around to building a fixed/free rear wheel for my old Fuji. So far I only have a single speed freewheel mounted, but I've ordered a fixed cog for it.

I also changed the drop handlebars to moustache bars just because. I'm changing the bikes name to Raoul Duke to go along with the personality change. I like the simple look of the bike and the couple of short test rides were fun. I found myself riding faster because of the lack of lower gears. Here are a few pictures:

Before -

After -

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet. I'd love a ride.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You put BUMPER STICKERS on that sweet, handsome bike??????

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    You put BUMPER STICKERS on that sweet, handsome bike??????
    Yes, a long time ago. I take it you disapprove?

My Bikes
    Schwinn Heavy Duty , Schwinn Cross-Cut, Raleigh Olympian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike. I bought myself an old Raleigh Super Course Friday at a yardsale. , Yesterday I completed the single speed conversion ; and today, I cleaned it up a little , and put about 20 miles on it . I too find myself riding faster without the gears. I like the quietness of the single speed . kirby

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I like the simple look too, and the monochromatic color scheme. Very nice.

How do you like the comfort of the moustache bars? They appear to be a compromise between upright and stretched out.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to pick up a couple more Trek 970 frames, so you keep them in the same config for a year or two.

So you're talking Uncle Duke to Fixie land, eh? How long have you been contemplating this?

If you want a fixie, I think Jet Travis has one for sale.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Yes, a long time ago. I take it you disapprove?
    He looks great as a fixie. He has such nice lines and color. But those bumper stickers ruin the lines! It's like putting Brendan Fraser in a lime green leisure suit.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    He looks great as a fixie. He has such nice lines and color. But those bumper stickers ruin the lines! It's like putting Brendan Fraser in a lime green leisure suit.
    "To each his own" said the old lady as she kissed the cow. I like the stickers for their bike advocacy messages. The "Share the Road" sticker on the chainstay has been there since I first set up the bike. It serves as the chainstay protector.

I like this bike a lot, but I don't think I've ever revered it the way you seem to. To me it's just a cool old beater bike, not a sculpture.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    "To each his own" said the old lady as she kissed the cow. I like the stickers for their bike advocacy messages. The "Share the Road" sticker on the chainstay has been there since I first set up the bike. It serves as the chainstay protector.

I like this bike a lot, but I don't think I've ever revered it the way you seem to. To me it's just a cool old beater bike, not a sculpture.
    I know. I love that bike.

My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind all the bumper sticker haters. She looks great and the stickers give 'er some personality...

The ONLY thing this brown beauty is begging for is a medium brown Brooks to go with the frame, bar tape and sidewalls. That would totally complete the Vision and achieve a Nirvana like plane of existential serenity that only comes with single speed (and fixed) bikes that have achieved true urban enlightenment......

GAWD.. I sound like a hipster.....

I'm trying out mustache bars on my own single speed conversion and so far I like them. The old drops looked great but when I tried to get down into them I found that I couldn't breath properly. Part of being over 50 and maybe just a little from the "man muscle" gut... But either way the mustache bars on the old Norco and the bullhorns on the new 925 are my current favourite road bike bar options.

Anyhow, a hearty well done on trying the single speed route. I know I love both of mine and although the new was supposed to be an excuse to sell the old I can't do it. I'm keeping them both.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look what is for sale on the Minneapolis CL:
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/bik/849683916.html
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like the bracelet on the rear hub. Any bike that keeps you riding is a good bike.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I like the bracelet on the rear hub. Any bike that keeps you riding is a good bike.
    Yeh, what's the story on the bracelet? I meant to ask.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice looking bike. Back in the day, I had a girlfriend who bought a brown Fuji very much like that so she could ride with me (she became a pretty good rider, too). She named him Butch.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. The Uncle Duke is built for all day comfort. Now let's see what you can do with Daisy Duke.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bracelet is a Livestrong bracelet that I slipped over the hub before building it up. As for the saddle, believe it or not, this Brooks B17 Champion Special was Honey colored when new. Years of sweat, rain and Proofhide have turned it dark brown. I ain't changing it. I may look into ways to darken the bar tape, like shellac, maybe.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice looking bike. You'll have a ball riding it around town. My only question is, Why the purple cage? I can't get the visual out of my mind.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Really nice looking bike. You'll have a ball riding it around town. My only question is, Why the purple cage? I can't get the visual out of my mind.
    I could make up some great story about how I was trying to evoke an emotional response in the casual observer by using conflicting color schemes or I could tell the truth which is that I used what I had laying around with little if any regard to color. Actually, it looks more red in person. There will probably be a silver stainless steel cage on there eventually.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    How do you like the comfort of the moustache bars? They appear to be a compromise between upright and stretched out.

To me, moustache bars feel more like drop bars than upright. Their biggest drawback is the lack of the normal top position. The position in the curves is similar to traditional tops, but more forward, making for a more stretched out resting position. This is the position I use most as it is where you have access to the brake levers. It can be quite comfortable or painful. Height, stem length and bar tilt are critical in finding your individual sweet spot.

The hoods position is not very comfortable and doesn't allow enough leverage for effective braking. It is useful for a short aero tuck or a brief alternate position to keep the hands fresh.

The biggest advantage of moustache bars is the great climbing leverage when gripped out near the ends. They are equally comfortable for seated or standing climbing. I think this will be very useful on a bike with no low gearing options.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From your description, it sounds like moustache bars may not be the best for me and my bad wrist. Thanks for your description.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome to the 'dark side'

train safe-

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buelito View Post
    welcome to the 'goofy side'

train safe-
    fixed

I say that only because, to me, fixed gear makes absolutely no sense when used off the track. Single speed is fine but make mine a freewheel.

Now I'm thinking that I might make a single speed out of my old late '70s Apollo.
    Last edited by Cone Wrench; 09-30-08 at 10:23 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
    fixed

I say that only because, to me, fixed gear makes absolutely no sense when used off the track. Single speed is fine but make mine a freewheel.

Now I'm thinking that I might make a single speed out of my old late '70s Apollo.
    Does everything we do have to make sense? I don't think so.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look forward to the day when BD converts Uncle Duke to a comfort bike. With suspension fork & seat post, riser bars, cushy saddle, & adjustable stem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast