User Tag List

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is pedaling worth?

Sitting around watching mindless TV up comes a story on wind turbines. So I start thinking - how much could I save by hooking the trainer up to the grid? Doing a little digging I find this watt calculator:
    http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesSpeed_Page.html

Now if this calculator is right I can put out about 150 watts for several hours. NY electricity rates run about $0.17/KW hour. If I ride the trainer about 2 hours thats worth about a nickle. Big Woop!
    Oh well - I guess I'll need other motivation to get on the trainer
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many kW-hours of brain burn did you expend coming to this conclusion....

I remember someone chastising me for leaving a couple of lights on 24 hours a day in the house while on a trip. "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT COSTS ? ! ? ! ? !" was their dumbfounded beseachment. So I did the numbers and it worked out to about 25 cents a day at the then current rates. That was quite a few years ago though. Of course even if the rates went up by 4 or 5 times since then (likely) I'm still at around 25 cents a day since I swapped over to the lower power flourescent screw ins over the last couple of years. Small cost for home security since lighted houses are broken into far less frequently.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....