Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Goal not met?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Goal not met?

Old 10-07-08, 08:36 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Goal not met?

I had set an arbitrary goal for mileage this season/year of 2,000 miles. While this may not seem like much, it was significant in terms of the 2 or 3 hundred miles that I would usually do.

I bought a new bike in January, but really didn't start riding regularly until April. I am currently at 1,100 miles and with the fall drifting by quickly here in the northeast, it is unlikely that I will make the 2,000 miles by year end.

My wife thought that I had set my sights too high but I was enjoying the rides and the challenge the goal presented.

While I may not meet the goal, I am pleased with the substantial increase in mileage (and the benefit of increased health and fitness). For the first time in many years I have done many 20+ mile rides, several 35 to 40 mile rides, Two rides of between 60 and 70 miles and one ride of 96 miles.

All of these were done solo, and I very much enjoyed the solitude and the chance to de-compress on a regular basis.

In short..........I am hooked.
Old 10-07-08, 09:05 AM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I are new to riding, we started on 7/19/08 and have logged 301.10 miles since we started. I know this is not a lot but when we started our Average was 8.2MPH we are now up to 11.6 MPH. I have found that I really enjoy riding and will look at setting a milage goal for next year soon. Or at least have an idea of what to expect of myself. I do not believe you set your goal to high. It is nice to even have the goal to strive for.
Old 10-07-08, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I brought my bike in February this year and love it. Wasn't able to ride as much as I would like, & also had hurt my back on an non-bike related fall that I can't ride for a month. I just turned 50 last week, & I want to set my goal to ride 50 miles this year. My longest so far is 32 miles, seems like I have quite a ways to go.
Old 10-07-08, 09:21 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JetWave
I brought my bike in February this year and love it. Wasn't able to ride as much as I would like, & also had hurt my back on an non-bike related fall that I can't ride for a month. I just turned 50 last week, & I want to set my goal to ride 50 miles this year. My longest so far is 32 miles, seems like I have quite a ways to go.
If you can do 32, you can do 50. Just pace yourself, goal should be just to finish, don't obsess on speed. Stay hydrated, rest frequently and you will be ok.
Old 10-07-08, 09:26 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Timtruo,

It's only the first week of October!

You still have plenty of good riding weather ahead. Don't give up yet. You have done several long rides to date so there is no reason that you could not repeat those distances on weekends, which will get you closer to your goal in a hurry. There's also still enough daylight to get in an afternoon ride, add some lights to your bike and the day is streched out longer.

You can do and we can help! HTFU and get on the bike, no excuses!
Old 10-07-08, 09:36 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The problem with arbitrary goals is that they have no basis in reality. For me, an arbitrary goal suppresses my ability and desire to meet it.

I didn't even think about mileage goals until after I had an idea of how much I would actually ride. That helped me keep my goals anchored in reality. Once I had a track record, I could project it forward, then add some for incentive.

Saturday I beat my mileage for all of 2007 (4,333). I have 389 miles to my goal for this year (4,750), and 839 miles to my challenge goal (5,200) for this year. Both seem achievable, despite the latter one being somewhat arbitrary.

Cycling strictly for purposes of attaining a goal seems too much like work for me, and I refuse to hop on the bike simply for the sake of miles. Every ride has a purpose, and every ride is enjoyable. When it can't be both, I stay home.
Old 10-07-08, 09:46 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
add some lights to your bike and the day is stretched out longer.
+1

Tonight is the first Tuesday Night Urban Assault ride of the season. We meet at 6, ride out at 6:15, official sunset is 6:34 tonight, and we get back at 8:30. Then I ride home.
Old 10-07-08, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather this year has forced my mileage goal into the dumper. Impending shoulder surgery may put it to rest for the remainder of the year.
Old 10-07-08, 02:06 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
All of these were done solo, and I very much enjoyed the solitude and the chance to de-compress on a regular basis.

Hmm!!

Sounds to me like you met your goals perfectly!
Old 10-07-08, 02:21 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
, add some lights to your bike and the day is streched out longer.

Have to agree about that night riding. In 2006 -instead of going to the Gym- I started night rides twice a week. Did cost me for Good lights but it was worth it. All those Gym Fees saved and the lights were paid for and it was more enjoyable. Only thing I had to do was be flexible on when I rode. I may have planned to ride on Tuesday night- but if the weather was against me- I rode on Wednesday instead.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-07-08, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Hmm!!

Sounds to me like you met your goals perfectly!
+1
Old 10-07-08, 03:06 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Have to agree about that night riding.
I wasn't getting serious about riding till around November of last year so my wife and I rode most nights after I got home from work. Only went out for an hour or so each night but it helped our conditioning and made it much easier to get on the bike and go for longer rides on weekends.
Old 10-07-08, 04:54 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Timtruo,

It's only the first week of October!

You are right of course, thanks for the motivational kick in the a--. I plan to keep riding deep into the fall, but I mainly am able to ride on the weekends, don't get home until it is almost dark etc. However I will keep at it , thanks.
Old 10-07-08, 04:59 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Have to admit I am not comfortable with the night riding. Live in a congested area and traffic and road conditions are hard enough to deal with in full light. Call me a woosie, but that's the way it is.
Old 10-11-08, 02:21 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
40 miles last weekend, 22 today, more tomorrow, will go over 1100 miles tomorrow, don't know about hitting the 2,000, but going to go as deep into the fall and early winter as time and weather allow. Today was mid 60's on the cape, almost summer like. Enjoyed the ride enormously. Stopped by my favorite cigar shop, and bought a couple. Also a nice bottle of white wine to have with the pork roast this evening. But NO PIE, we will be having strawberry shortcake for dessert. Such are the trials and tribulations of life in Truro, Mass.