Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I can safely say, here's a bicycle older than all of us, a 1914 Aerothurst

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Being somewhat new, I don't know if this has been posted before. It guess it never caught on.

https://www.blog.thesietch.org/2007/1...-bicycle-wild/
Old 10-09-08, 09:24 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting bike. Haven't seen that one before.

But you can't be sure it is older than all of us, as it is 94 years old. It is estimated that there are more than 100,000 people who are 95 or older in the USA alone.

Long range population forecasts estimate that worldwide there will be over 2 million people who are 100 or older by 2050. Anyone in this forum right now who is around 58-68 may be amongst them.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-10-08, 04:12 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I liked the title of the article below the picture. Fitting?

Your probably right though about the population of the forum................even Dnvr isn't that old.
Old 10-10-08, 10:44 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the propeller was a little longer it would really help clear the MUPs of those pesky dog walkers. I'm not sure drafting behind it would work very well.
Old 10-10-08, 07:55 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Now that is one of the scariest things I've seen in a LOOOOOOOONG time. And can you imagine how loud it would be with just that straight pipe?
Old 10-10-08, 08:49 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil

But you can't be sure it is older than all of us, as it is 94 years old. It is estimated that there are more than 100,000 people who are 95 or older in the USA alone.

Long range population forecasts estimate that worldwide there will be over 2 million people who are 100 or older by 2050. Anyone in this forum right now who is around 58-68 may be amongst them.
Perhaps I should have phrased that so say: To my knowledge there is no forum member as old as this bike. However, I wouldn't go so far to say there isn't a bicyclist somewhere in the world that age.

In the '90s I spent quite a few years turning wrenches on and flying WWII aircraft, mainly the B17. What interested me about this is the center stand allows the rear wheel to touch the ground. Albeit, the thrust wouldn't be that great on a single cylinder engine at idle but I would think it would be enough to have someone up front to whoa it down until you got on. Simply a spooky contraption, but if I found one I would want it....and what's even worse I would want to get it running.
Old 10-10-08, 08:55 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You have seen the videos of bikes that have jet engines attached to them, haven't you?

There are numerous videos on the web of them. I believe one guy put two jet engines on his bike.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-10-08, 09:25 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
You have seen the videos of bikes that have jet engines attached to them, haven't you?

There are numerous videos on the web of them. I believe one guy put two jet engines on his bike.
I've seen them and they are down right scary! But then, I'm old school when it comes to that kind of stuff..... kinda like bikes. I'm still looking for old style slotted 2 screw cleats 'cause my old Cannondale shoes are too good to give up..
Attached Images
Old 10-10-08, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Scott Speedster S50

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I, for one, really want one of these.

It'd go marvelously with my handlebar mustache.
Old 10-11-08, 04:21 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeesters
I, for one, really want one of these.

It'd go marvelously with my handlebar mustache.
While an original would be expensive and difficult to work on, there are companies that make modern versions. I've done some work for a rider who takes his out for historical parades in period dress.

Items of interest: The tire is solid, wrapped around the wheel and glued at the splice. There is a foot peg above the rear wheel on the left side of the bike used to mount the bike on the fly.
Old 10-11-08, 11:19 AM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Youtube has videos of the old "penny farthing" standards being ridden and mounted/dismounted. Fun to watch but I'm not all that enthused about adding one to the fleet.