Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

sidi shoe question

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

sidi shoe question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sidi shoe question

On my sidi shoes which I just purchased on line the cleat holders on the bottom of the shoe slide back and forth towards the heel and the toe, obviously for fine adjustment of the cleats. Will they tighten down and stop sliding once I attach the cleats, and screw them on or is there something else i have to do. I don't want to do anything until I'm absolutely certain of what I am doing.
Old 10-21-08, 02:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There should be a metal plate that goes inside the shoe. Yes, once you tighten them down, they should stay that way. I always carry a spare screw or 2 in my saddlebag. Also, once I'm sure I am happy with the position, I put some loctite on the threads.
Old 10-21-08, 02:16 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hask12
On my sidi shoes which I just purchased on line
Don't tell me--- You went into the shop and saw them- tried them and nothing else was as good.

With the economic situation we have at present- Sidi's should be under the counter- at the back of the shop and come in a brown wrapper.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-21-08, 02:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well stapfam, besides the fact that you didn't answer my question, the answer to your question is no. I would appreciate, in the future that you not jump to conclusions.
First off I have purchased Sidi shoes from my dealer in the past and they have always attached the cleats, consequently, I already had a good idea of my shoe size.
Second, my dealer doesn't carry this style Dragon 2.
Third I found a dealer on line that carries this style at a great price. Colorado Cyclist.
Stapfam you need to stop acting all high and mighty, and allow people to spend their hard earned money as they see fit; if that's okay with you. I've read the debate on this subject before, give it a rest.
Old 10-21-08, 02:42 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hask12
well stapfam, besides the fact that you didn't answer my question, the answer to your question is no. I would appreciate, in the future that you not jump to conclusions.
First off i have purchased sidi shoes from my dealer in the past and they have always attached the cleats, consequently, i already had a good idea of my shoe size.
Second, my dealer doesn't carry this style dragon 2.
Third i found a dealer on line that carries this style at a great price. Colorado cyclist.
Stapfam you need to stop acting all high and mighty, and allow people to spend their hard earned money as they see fit; if that's okay with you. I've read the debate on this subject before, give it a rest.
bye.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-21-08, 04:06 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oops - - - I think i need to go see a man about a dog.
Old 10-21-08, 05:35 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
On my sidi shoes which I just purchased on line the cleat holders on the bottom of the shoe slide back and forth towards the heel and the toe, obviously for fine adjustment of the cleats. Will they tighten down and stop sliding once I attach the cleats, and screw them on...
Yes. As long as you make sure the screws are tight.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-21-08, 06:55 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well stapfam, besides the fact that you didn't answer my question, the answer to your question is no. I would appreciate, in the future that you not jump to conclusions.
First off I have purchased Sidi shoes from my dealer in the past and they have always attached the cleats, consequently, I already had a good idea of my shoe size.
Second, my dealer doesn't carry this style Dragon 2.
Third I found a dealer on line that carries this style at a great price. Colorado Cyclist.
Stapfam is a truly helpful fellow who doesn't use smileys in his posts to indicate he is only kidding. It's an on-going joke about the Sidis and isn't meant to be judgmental.
Old 10-21-08, 08:05 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Holy crap! Try some decaf! That response was totally uncalled for.
Old 10-22-08, 03:46 AM
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm with RonH on the answer to the question. I don't think I would let anyone else attach my cleats, especially on my overpriced Sidis (sorry, couldn't resist, used to buy them years and years ago, though ); that part amazes me, at first I thought I was reading a question from someone new to clipless...
Old 10-22-08, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VolGirl
There should be a metal plate that goes inside the shoe. Yes, once you tighten them down, they should stay that way. I always carry a spare screw or 2 in my saddlebag. Also, once I'm sure I am happy with the position, I put some loctite on the threads.
I like the idea of carrying an extra screw, but I don't have a problem that requires locktite. Usually I have the opposite problem( after awhile the screw seizes and the screw won't come undone) so I use white grease on the threads.
Old 10-22-08, 05:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I was rude to Stepfam then I sincerely apologize. But it is possible to buy online without taking advantage
of your local LBS, and I felt that conclusions were drawn with no evidence whatsoever. My experience with shoes is still somewhat limited and the first pair of shoes this particular dealer sent to me I couldn't budge the cleat holders on one shoe so I sent them back. (there were other problems with the shoes also). When I got the second pair I wanted to make sure I wasn't coming to the wrong conclusions. I appreciate the help I received, and wish to thank everyone. Again if your comments were made in jest then I am sorry for overreacting.
Old 10-22-08, 06:32 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
FYI, you missed stapfam's point completely. As Yen pointed out he was making reference to a frequent discussion line on this forum about the addictive nature of Sidi shoes, how once you try them, nothing else will do.
If anyone jumped to a conclusion in this thread, it was not him.
Old 10-22-08, 06:47 AM
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Holy crap! Try some decaf! That response was totally uncalled for.
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
FYI, you missed stapfam's point completely. As Yen pointed out he was making reference to a frequent discussion line on this forum about the addictive nature of Sidi shoes, how once you try them, nothing else will do.
If anyone jumped to a conclusion in this thread, it was not him.
What BD said ------- Lp
Old 10-22-08, 08:13 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have to agree with gear, plus I'll add that scrapping all the accumulated mud, etc. out of the allen fitting for bolt when trying to remove the cleat is the most frustrating and time consuming part of the process (yeah, ask me how I know!).

Still, it's better than when we had to hammer the cleats on with tiny nails, so I shouldn't complain. There has been progress over the years!

Rick / OCRR