Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Opinions wanted

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 03:47 PM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opinions wanted

Which of these do you think would be the better deal for the long run. We are thinking of adding road bikes for the charity rides and our normal weekend rides which are mostly done on rural roads and keeping the Crosstrails for the MUPs and that we ride about 5 or six times a month.

Our LBS is giving us these prices on these bike so let me know if you think they are worth it and which you may think are our best bet for the long run. as they will probably be with us for 6 or more years.

2009 Model
price he will give us is $1710.00

Roubaix Triple
SERIOUSLY SMOOTH AND SERIOUSLY FAST. When the new Roubaix isn't silencing the cobbles and stealing the podium of races by the same name, it's busy turning your next 100 miles in to the "Big Easy."

FeaturesTechnical SpecificationsGeometryMore InfoThe FACT 6r carbon, triple-monocoque frame on the Roubaix X3 offers an all-day-long comfortable ride without sacrificing speed or agility; the vibration-absorbing Zertz inserts add an additional layer of comfort.
The Specialized FACT carbon monocoque fork is full carbon—legs, crown, steerer—and features an oversized lower bearing race for precision and strength; Zertz inserts soak up the chatter.
The4-position-adjustable Specialized Comp-Set stem is easily adjusted to match your needs; the oversized 31.8mm clamp area provides a solid steering interface.
The Specialized Pro handlebars feature a short drop and ergonomic shape, for maximum comfort and control.
The Body Geometry Avatar saddle features a microfiber cover and gel padding for long-term comfort.
FRAMESpecialized FACT 6r carbon, triple monocoque construction, compact race design, Zertz insertsREAR SHOCKN/AFORKSpecialized FACT carbon, monocoque construction, full carbon legs, crown and steerer w/ Zertz inserts.HEADSETSpecialized Mindset Plus, 1-1/8" integrated threadless, sealed cartridge bearings, 20mm alloy cone w/ one 10mm and two 5mm alloy spacersSTEMSpecialized Comp-Set, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt 31.8mm bar clamp, 4- position adjustableHANDLEBARSSpecialized Pro, 2014 alloy, short-drop, ergonomic shaping, 31.8mmTAPEBody Geometry Bar Phat, cork ribbon w/ 4mm gel paddingFRONT BRAKEUltralight dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge padsREAR BRAKEUltralight dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge padsBRAKE LEVERSShimano 105, 10-speed STI, flight deck compatibleFRONT DERAILLEURShimano 105, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pullREAR DERAILLEURShimano 105, long cageSHIFT LEVERSShimano 105, 10-speed STI, flight deck compatibleCASSETTEShimano 105, 10-speed, 12-27tCHAINShimano 105, 10-speedCRANKSETFSA Gossamer MegaExo, 2-piece cranksetCHAINRINGS50 x 39 x 30tBOTTOM BRACKETFSA MegaExo, integrated exterior cartridge bearings, alloyPEDALSSilver cage, black body, w/ toe clip and strapRIMSMavic CXP22 rim, alloy triple-wall, machined sidewalls, 32 holeFRONT HUBSpecialized forged alloy, 32h, sealed ball bearings, QRREAR HUBSpecialized forged alloy, 32h, double sealed ball bearings, cassette, QRSPOKESStainless 14gFRONT TIRESpecialized Roubaix Pro, 700x23/25c, aramid bead, 120TPI REAR TIRESpecialized Roubaix Pro, 700x23/25c, aramid bead, 120TPI INNER TUBESSpecialized standard presta tubeSADDLEBody Geometry Avatar, microfiber cover, gel padding, Cr-Mo railsSEATPOSTSpecialized carbon wrapped, two-bolt clamp, 27.2mmSEAT BINDERSpecialized CNC alloy, 32.6mm

Allez Elite Compact Double for $1400.00

FeaturesTechnical SpecificationsGeometryThe new smooth-welded E5 frame, which features our seamlessly integrated FACT carbon seatstays, is solid, light, and fast.
The Allez carbon fork soaks up road vibration, provides laser-accurate steering, and is ultra light.
The Comp-Set stem combines a 12-degree rise with an oversized 31.8mm bar clamp, for comfortable, accurate steering.
Find comfort in the drops with ergonomic Specialized Comp bars, with oversized stem clamp area for a solid bar connection.
Shimano’s 105 STI levers shift smoothly and precisely over their 10-speed range.
The compact Shimano crankset combines hill-friendly gearing with the look and performance of a two-chainring setup.
FRAMESpecialized E5 aluminum, fully manipulated tubing, smooth weld compact race design, FACT carbon seatstaysREAR SHOCKN/AFORKSpecialized FACT carbon, carbon fiber legs, aluminum crown and steererHEADSETSpecialized Mindset, 1-1/8" integrated threadless, steel cage bearings, 20mm alloy cone with one 10mm and two 5mm alloy spacersSTEMSpecialized Comp-Set, 3D forged alloy, 4-position adjustable, 4-bolt 31.8mm clampHANDLEBARSSpecialized Comp, 6061 alloy, short drop, ergonomic shaping, 31.8mm TAPEBody Geometry Bar Phat, cork ribbon w/ 2.5mm gel paddingFRONT BRAKEUltralight dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge padsREAR BRAKEUltralight dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge padsBRAKE LEVERSShimano 105, 10-speed STI, flight deck compatibleFRONT DERAILLEURShimano 105, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pullREAR DERAILLEURShimano 105, short cageSHIFT LEVERSShimano 105, 10-speed STI, flight deck compatibleCASSETTEShimano 105, 10-speed, 12-27tCHAINShimano 105, 10-speedCRANKSETShimano CompactCHAINRINGS50 x 34tBOTTOM BRACKETShimano FC-4500PEDALSSilver cage, black body, w/ toe clip and strapRIMSMavic CXP22 rim, alloy triple-wall, machined sidewalls, 28/32h w/ eyeletsFRONT HUBSpecialized forged alloy, 28h, sealed ball bearings, QRREAR HUBSpecialized forged alloy, 32h, double sealed ball bearings, cassette, QRSPOKESDT Champion, stainless 14g w/ ProLoc brass nipplesFRONT TIRESpecialized Mondo Pro, 700x23c, aramid bead, 120TPI, Flak JacketREAR TIRESpecialized Mondo Pro, 700x23c, aramid bead, 120TPI, Flak JacketINNER TUBESSpecialized standard presta tubeSADDLESpecialized Comp Road, full paddingSEATPOSTSpecialized carbon wrapped, two-bolt clamp, 27.2mmSEAT BINDERSpecialized alloy 31.
Old 10-21-08, 04:14 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My opinion is go for the Roubaix! There are climbs I can do on my triple that I can't on my compact. Of course, if there are no steep/long climbs where you ride, the Allez would be fine.

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-21-08, 04:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
My opinion is go for the Roubaix! There are climbs I can do on my triple that I can't on my compact. Of course, if there are no steep/long climbs where you ride, the Allez would be fine.

Rick / OCRR
I do live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and have given consideration to doing some riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway which is only about 30 miles away.
Old 10-21-08, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'd choose the Roubaix, because it suits the kind of riding I do.
Old 10-21-08, 04:33 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agree with the other posters. Roubaix. As long as it's not white.
Old 10-21-08, 04:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far it seems that the increas in price for the Carbon frame is they way you are leaning. I beleive the componants are pretty much egueal with the exception of triple chain rings and compact. If the Allez were a triple also would it still be the same opinion.
Old 10-21-08, 05:32 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Specialized makes great bikes but is Specialized your only choice?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-21-08, 05:49 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Both of those are road bikes. Do we have any other choices in this poll?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-21-08, 05:51 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Roubaix, without a doubt.
Old 10-21-08, 05:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From The LBS yes it is. WE are not blessed with a LBS on every corner actually they are about 50 miles from my house and the closest.
Old 10-21-08, 06:24 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Roubaix will be a little more relaxed in geometry when compared to the Allez. Also the Roubaix is full carbon as compared to the aluminum/carbon mix of the Allez. On long rides you will feel the difference, more so if you are not riding the bikes all the time. I bought a Roubaix Expert last year with the intention of using the bike for the next 5 years or more. I anticipate getting older over those years and possibly needing the comfort features more.
Old 10-21-08, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK so I guess the limited choises are not in my best interest, May be I need to get some ideas from you all since there is a lot of experiance here, Tom I have respected your opinions since I started viewing these posts. If there are some better suggestions let me know and I will see where I can locate them in my area, I guess that since I already have to travel 50 miles for this choice it may benifit me to travel 75 or 100 miles if there are better choices out there.
Old 10-21-08, 07:03 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seriously, both of those are popular road bikes, with many fans.

There are many other options out there. The list goes on and on.

Have you ridden these two? What were your impressions?

I'm certainly not the person you want advising you on this choice.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-21-08, 07:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I have, But as is there is a but, they are all that I have ever riden so as you may guess I have nothing to compare either of them too, Well I guess I do in that I have riden my Xmart Schwinn to start with and now the Crosstrails but they are not fair comparisons. And actually Tom You and Dawg along with many others have a lot more knowledge and experiance in this than I do.
Old 10-21-08, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Road trip... hit the nearest city with a few bike shops. Test ride some bikes.
I've gone 100 miles to try a bike.
Old 10-21-08, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I can't comment on the whole bikes because I havn't ridden either one.

If there's the slightest question in your mind - get the triple crankset.
Old 10-21-08, 08:11 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd vote for a Roubaix (for the full carbon) with compact double. I'm not sure I'd want to tackle a hill that a 34/27 was to hard to pedal.
Old 10-21-08, 08:44 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Funny that no one has asked for more detail on what kind of riding you plan to do on the bike.

If you want a racing geometry bike with quick steering and fast acceleration and a lower, more aerodynamic riding position, if speed is more important so that you would be willing to make a small but noticeable sacrifice of comfort, then the Allez would be my clear choice.

If, on the other hand, a more upright relaxed riding position and the smoother ride of the relatively relaxed geometry frame and the lower gearing of a triple crank matter more to you, the Roubaix would be much more appropriate.

My 2 cents

BTW, I took a short test ride on a 2009 Tarmac Elite today. What a sweet bike.
Old 10-21-08, 09:08 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Roubaix is a great bike. Get a triple if you live in a hilly area.

But you really need to ride a lot of bikes before you know the one that's right for you. The first one might feel good, until you get on the next one and it feels and rides much better, or confirms the first (or second, or third...) one is right. Think about not just the type of riding you want to do, but also the type of rider you are -- do you like to take it easy and look around and go at a relaxed pace, or do you like to go on fast aggressive rides? It took me a while to figure it out, so take your time and check out a lot of bikes.
Old 10-21-08, 10:05 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
In this price range at a Specialized dealer, I'd also recommend looking at a Specialized Tricross. It's technically a cyclocross bike, but with smooth, pavement-oriented tires it's also a great "do everything" bike.

- Can fit larger tires (good for rougher roads, more comfortable ride)
- Rear eyelets so you can mount a rear rack, and carry moderate loads (weekend trips)
- Can mount fenders (riding in bad weather)
- Light enough to be speedy, rugged enough to stand up to abuse / light trails and rugged roads

Though I think the Tricross comes stock w/cyclocross tires, a dealer ought to be willing to swap them out for little/nothing. The owners I've met really like them.
Old 10-22-08, 05:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spoke with the LBS they stated they also carry, or can get Schwinn or GT also, The only experiance I have with either of these is the Mass market Schwinns and some responses I have seen on the forums about the mass market value of these names. Any thoughts on those brands He claims they are better quality than the mass market ones but is my doubt just the name recognition of these bikes.

Benge thank you for your response but I do have the Cross trail which I will be using for the same types of rides that you suggest for the Tricross I am looking for a total road bike for doing group rides and even a 4 day ride to the coast from Charlotte.
Old 10-22-08, 07:06 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Schwinn and GT have ruined their names by selling a lower line of bikes in big box stores, but they do also carry a line of bike shop quality bikes that are worth a look.
Old 10-22-08, 12:40 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of the big LBS in Madison carries the higher quality Schwinns. They speak well of them. The University of Wisconsin cycling team rides Schwinn.

I took a couple of test rides on a Schwinn that was very much like their current Le Tour GSX, a "road comfort" bike. Of all of the road bikes that I did ride, this was perhaps the most comfortable of all. Although that isn't saying much, as I didn't really like any of them.

Old 10-22-08, 08:49 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go for the McCain Palin Ticket or you may not be able to afford a bike after your taxes go up

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 10-23-08, 12:25 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My opinion is that you haven't looked at enough bikes and haven't thought deeply enough about your riding.

The first because you have to ask for our opinion - you'll KNOW when you've found the right bike even if you do wind up with the first bike you looked at. Keep looking and riding and thinking and worrying. Eventually, you'll walk into a shop and know what bike it is you're going to spend your money on and our opinions won't matter.

The limited information about your riding and you tells me you haven't thought enough about it. While the bike shops would like you to think that if you're not on an mtb you should be on a 'roadie', the reality is far from that clear and some of the questions have been asked already by other posters.

Frame material is about more than just weight - there's how it's made, quality, ride typed and how you secretly see yourself.

Frame design - why go for something with steep forks and bars around your ankles if you aren't trying to play boy racer? Why buy an upright when you're always fighting head winds and you're a fitness freak? Why buy a carbon fibre frame if you'll need to carry stuff and would prefer racks?

Just about any bike on the market would fit into your listed requirements. My own personal steed would do it perfectly ... but you haven't specified a steel frame, bars at saddle level, Brooks saddle, rack and wide, funny shaped drops which is the bike I've built to do the job.

You need to be thinking about:
- what you'll be doing
- how you'll be doing it
- how often you'll be doing it
- how fit you are and how fit you're likely to get (core strength affects your riding position rather dramatically)
- is speed important or just the feeling of speed (there is a difference - I like to feel fast and actually am quite quick but a racer I am not)
- how well does it climb?
- your body - you need to be very strong and very fit to ride a bike with bars below the saddle at our age and beware of problems that might surface that you haven't considered - for me it was the hands.
- do you want to carry stuff? Backpacks are horrid things, especially when you suddenly find yourself with something odd shaped and hard
- quality of roads - my commute is on suburban streets so 'off-road' shouldn't be a consideration ... except that some of those paved roads are rougher than a dirt track and one of the coucils has a habit of digging up bike tracks and then waiting months before repaving them.

One of those bikes may indeed be perfect for you, but my opinion is that you need to look at a lot more bikes, then you won't need to ask us to make the mistake for you.

Richard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.