Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A cranky attitude and still no coffee...

We're out of coffee this morning. So, no big deal. I strap on the helmet and ride to the grocery store 3/4 of a mile away. Once I have my SINGLE bag of coffee and head to the checkout I see two lanes open. One with three folks with carts full of goods, and the other is the "Express" line with the sign that reads "Ten items or less". I step into this line only to see the man in front of me with a cart full of items (I counted 42). Since I've not yet had my coffee, I don't censor myself and say, "Hey, this is the express line. You belong in the other line." The guy never responds or even looks at me. AND the clerk begins to check him out. I ask to see the manager when it's my turn to be checked out. Manager comes over and I ask why they have the signs if they aren't going to honor them. He gets all huffy and says they attempt to serve all of their customers equally well. I point out that I sure don't feel this "equality" thing of which he speaks. Then he says I can always choose to shop elsewhere. At which point I say, "You're right. I can.", and walk out of the store without paying for or taking the coffee. So here I sit at my keyboard and still haven't had my coffee yet. I'm feeling very cranky right now. I'd best stop posting until I'm in a better mood.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go back in, get a cart with about 100 items, go through the register. When it comes time to pay, say "Oh darn, I forgot my wallet" and leave all the stuff there and go home.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time bring your bike into the store and see what kind of "attention" you get.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm curious - what grocery chain?

you could always report the manager to corporate (most chains don't want to employ managers who tell customers to shop elsewhere)...

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Green View Post
    Go back in, get a cart with about 100 items, go through the register. When it comes time to pay, say "Oh darn, I forgot my wallet" and leave all the stuff there and go home.
    And be sure to put the bags of potato chips under the case of green beans and the deli sliced meat on top of it all. Or, you cold just email the coporate office with your concerns about the management running the store you will be leaving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    And be sure to put the bags of potato chips under the case of green beans and the deli sliced meat on top of it all.
    My store puts the eggs on the bottom so that when they break, they don't run all over everything else.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Encourage your friends not to shop there either. That kind of thing drives me nuts You should complain to whatever the next level of management is. Forget the local dumb ass, he may not care but that attitude will eventually put his employees jobs at risk. Chain name?
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On the other hand, when I shop at 7am on Sunday morning and have about 60 items in my cart and there is only one register open with a line.................I appreciate it when the clerk at the unused express register says.............."I can take the next person over here...

Life is relative..................and short

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still trying to work out what the problem is

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

n00b
    My Bikes
    Two
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd still shop there. Just that I'd fill my cart FULL of stuff, head for the 12 items or less lane, then just pick out the few things that I really need and leave the rest right there.

Ok, really, I wouldn't.....but sounds fun, doesn't it?

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes, one's indignation can lead to actions which are not in one's best self-interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's just face it some people are really stupid and should not be alowed to reproduce. 50% of the world has hemmorids, the other half are perfect A-holes. You really have not seen a grouch until you see me with out my coffee.

Don't pick a fight with an old man, he will just kill ya!

Pop's

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an opportunity for that manager to take his team to the next level, change a few paradigms, and do some thinking outside the box!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found feelings of entitlement cause only problems. Gratitude, however, is always sweet.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why you didn't stop at Starbucks . . .
    It seems like there's one (almost) on every corner.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In These Times, it's beneficial to just expect bad service, disdain, and offense. Make a game of it by staying cheerful and calm, beatific even. You win the match if your heart rate stays withing 10 beats of normal. Yeah, go ahead and contact "corporate" (I did it this AM, myself.), but don't live in the least expectation that "corporate" cares much. After all, they'll still sell groceries to saints, sinners, trolls, and troglodytes in profitable abundance 'cause they all gotta' eat.

Oh, and for Jove's Merry Sake, stockpile a tactical reserve of coffee.

Here endeth the lesson.
    AUDENTIS FORTUNA IUUAT
    - Virgil, Aeneid (Book 10, Line 284)

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrong approach.

Since the clerk hadn't started checking out the 43 item guy, why didn't you ask if they'd let you go ahead? That's what I would have done and I'm a grouch.

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without asking, a sharp, observant clerk would have taken you ahead of the 42 item guy.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, the manager was definitely in the wrong. And I have several years of retail management experience. Even if he tells his cashiers to go ahead and process everyone in any line, he should have apologized to you, gone to a register, rung you up, and thanked you for your business.

If it came to my attention that a manager did what you said that manager did, I would have them in my office to explain their actions and do a little customer service coaching.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bones View Post
    In These Times, it's beneficial to just expect bad service, disdain, and offense. Make a game of it by staying cheerful and calm, beatific even. You win the match if your heart rate stays withing 10 beats of normal. Yeah, go ahead and contact "corporate" (I did it this AM, myself.), but don't live in the least expectation that "corporate" cares much. After all, they'll still sell groceries to saints, sinners, trolls, and troglodytes in profitable abundance 'cause they all gotta' eat.

Oh, and for Jove's Merry Sake, stockpile a tactical reserve of coffee.

Here endeth the lesson.
    Aha! I think we now have come to the crux of the problem. It seems that NOS88 is using this talk of express lanes, managers and grocery items to distract us from the heinous crime of allowing the house to run out of coffee.

How do you answer these charges, NOS88?
    Last edited by Cone Wrench; 10-24-08 at 01:34 PM.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nolo Coffendri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    What an opportunity for that manager to take his team to the next level, change a few paradigms, and do some thinking outside the box!
    where have i seen these phrases before?

be well,

jim
    Be in this moment.
    Do not seek the truth. Accept it.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Spoken like a true organizational consultant!!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
    Sometimes, one's indignation can lead to actions which are not in one's best self-interest.
    Absolutely!

I once walked out of a store after an encounter like the one above and I realized that *I* was losing the war because I had to go to another store. I went back into the store, explained that I didn't want my frustration to make my day worse, asked the manager for his name and store number, asked him to ring me up, and then went home with my purchase. I then emailed corporate HQ w/my version of the story.

Managers of big chain stores don't really care about losing one sale if they're having a bad day. They *do* care about a phone call from the district manager asking what was up with the letter that came down from corporate HQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The store manager gave you the best suggestion. Now write a letter to the corporate headquarters and tell them why you are following that suggestion. And be damn sure you never run out of coffee again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast