Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A cranky attitude and still no coffee...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-24-08, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

We're out of coffee this morning. So, no big deal. I strap on the helmet and ride to the grocery store 3/4 of a mile away. Once I have my SINGLE bag of coffee and head to the checkout I see two lanes open. One with three folks with carts full of goods, and the other is the "Express" line with the sign that reads "Ten items or less". I step into this line only to see the man in front of me with a cart full of items (I counted 42). Since I've not yet had my coffee, I don't censor myself and say, "Hey, this is the express line. You belong in the other line." The guy never responds or even looks at me. AND the clerk begins to check him out. I ask to see the manager when it's my turn to be checked out. Manager comes over and I ask why they have the signs if they aren't going to honor them. He gets all huffy and says they attempt to serve all of their customers equally well. I point out that I sure don't feel this "equality" thing of which he speaks. Then he says I can always choose to shop elsewhere. At which point I say, "You're right. I can.", and walk out of the store without paying for or taking the coffee. So here I sit at my keyboard and still haven't had my coffee yet. I'm feeling very cranky right now. I'd best stop posting until I'm in a better mood.
Old 10-24-08, 07:03 AM
Cycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go back in, get a cart with about 100 items, go through the register. When it comes time to pay, say "Oh darn, I forgot my wallet" and leave all the stuff there and go home.
Old 10-24-08, 07:06 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Next time bring your bike into the store and see what kind of "attention" you get.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-24-08, 07:08 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm curious - what grocery chain?

you could always report the manager to corporate (most chains don't want to employ managers who tell customers to shop elsewhere)...
Old 10-24-08, 07:09 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Suzie Green
Go back in, get a cart with about 100 items, go through the register. When it comes time to pay, say "Oh darn, I forgot my wallet" and leave all the stuff there and go home.
And be sure to put the bags of potato chips under the case of green beans and the deli sliced meat on top of it all. Or, you cold just email the coporate office with your concerns about the management running the store you will be leaving.
Old 10-24-08, 07:16 AM
Cycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
And be sure to put the bags of potato chips under the case of green beans and the deli sliced meat on top of it all.
My store puts the eggs on the bottom so that when they break, they don't run all over everything else.
Old 10-24-08, 07:34 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Encourage your friends not to shop there either. That kind of thing drives me nuts You should complain to whatever the next level of management is. Forget the local dumb ass, he may not care but that attitude will eventually put his employees jobs at risk. Chain name?
Old 10-24-08, 07:38 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
On the other hand, when I shop at 7am on Sunday morning and have about 60 items in my cart and there is only one register open with a line.................I appreciate it when the clerk at the unused express register says.............."I can take the next person over here...

Life is relative..................and short
Old 10-24-08, 07:58 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm still trying to work out what the problem is

Richard
Old 10-24-08, 08:06 AM
n00b

Bikes: Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd still shop there. Just that I'd fill my cart FULL of stuff, head for the 12 items or less lane, then just pick out the few things that I really need and leave the rest right there.

Ok, really, I wouldn't.....but sounds fun, doesn't it?
Old 10-24-08, 08:24 AM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes, one's indignation can lead to actions which are not in one's best self-interest.
Old 10-24-08, 08:32 AM
FRUGAL GERMAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's just face it some people are really stupid and should not be alowed to reproduce. 50% of the world has hemmorids, the other half are perfect A-holes. You really have not seen a grouch until you see me with out my coffee.

Don't pick a fight with an old man, he will just kill ya!

Pop's
Old 10-24-08, 09:01 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What an opportunity for that manager to take his team to the next level, change a few paradigms, and do some thinking outside the box!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-24-08, 10:23 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've found feelings of entitlement cause only problems. Gratitude, however, is always sweet.
Old 10-24-08, 10:40 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I don't understand why you didn't stop at Starbucks . . .
It seems like there's one (almost) on every corner.

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-24-08, 11:25 AM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
In These Times, it's beneficial to just expect bad service, disdain, and offense. Make a game of it by staying cheerful and calm, beatific even. You win the match if your heart rate stays withing 10 beats of normal. Yeah, go ahead and contact "corporate" (I did it this AM, myself.), but don't live in the least expectation that "corporate" cares much. After all, they'll still sell groceries to saints, sinners, trolls, and troglodytes in profitable abundance 'cause they all gotta' eat.

Oh, and for Jove's Merry Sake, stockpile a tactical reserve of coffee.

Here endeth the lesson.
Old 10-24-08, 11:35 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Wrong approach.

Since the clerk hadn't started checking out the 43 item guy, why didn't you ask if they'd let you go ahead? That's what I would have done and I'm a grouch.
Old 10-24-08, 11:47 AM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Without asking, a sharp, observant clerk would have taken you ahead of the 42 item guy.
Old 10-24-08, 12:35 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IMHO, the manager was definitely in the wrong. And I have several years of retail management experience. Even if he tells his cashiers to go ahead and process everyone in any line, he should have apologized to you, gone to a register, rung you up, and thanked you for your business.

If it came to my attention that a manager did what you said that manager did, I would have them in my office to explain their actions and do a little customer service coaching.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-24-08, 12:52 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy Bones
In These Times, it's beneficial to just expect bad service, disdain, and offense. Make a game of it by staying cheerful and calm, beatific even. You win the match if your heart rate stays withing 10 beats of normal. Yeah, go ahead and contact "corporate" (I did it this AM, myself.), but don't live in the least expectation that "corporate" cares much. After all, they'll still sell groceries to saints, sinners, trolls, and troglodytes in profitable abundance 'cause they all gotta' eat.

Oh, and for Jove's Merry Sake, stockpile a tactical reserve of coffee.

Here endeth the lesson.
Aha! I think we now have come to the crux of the problem. It seems that NOS88 is using this talk of express lanes, managers and grocery items to distract us from the heinous crime of allowing the house to run out of coffee.

How do you answer these charges, NOS88?

Last edited by Cone Wrench; 10-24-08 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-24-08, 01:02 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Nolo Coffendri
Old 10-24-08, 02:04 PM

Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
What an opportunity for that manager to take his team to the next level, change a few paradigms, and do some thinking outside the box!
where have i seen these phrases before?

be well,

jim
Old 10-24-08, 02:30 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Spoken like a true organizational consultant!!
Old 10-24-08, 02:43 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Cone Wrench
Sometimes, one's indignation can lead to actions which are not in one's best self-interest.
Absolutely!

I once walked out of a store after an encounter like the one above and I realized that *I* was losing the war because I had to go to another store. I went back into the store, explained that I didn't want my frustration to make my day worse, asked the manager for his name and store number, asked him to ring me up, and then went home with my purchase. I then emailed corporate HQ w/my version of the story.

Managers of big chain stores don't really care about losing one sale if they're having a bad day. They *do* care about a phone call from the district manager asking what was up with the letter that came down from corporate HQ.
Old 10-24-08, 02:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The store manager gave you the best suggestion. Now write a letter to the corporate headquarters and tell them why you are following that suggestion. And be damn sure you never run out of coffee again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.