Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Most fun I've had on a ten mile ride EVER! :-)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-08, 10:22 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I brought home a new bike this afternoon, a 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2. I had them add a rack, a cyclometer, and a water bottle cage. I also had them swap out the stock front wheel hub for a quick release hub. Then, I bought and installed a Planet Bike Super Flash headlight and blinkies.

I came home and took my maiden voyage just as the light was fading. I am not sure if I've ever rode at night before and certainly not for more than a block or two if that.

I had a fabulous time. I headed over to Balboa Park, where the critical mass riders were assembling at the main fountain. It was SO fun to ride along into the dark. I was startled to see how my headlight (I set it on blinking) made upcoming street signs flash off and on due to their reflective properties.

It wasn't hard at all to ride on busy streets, like Park Boulevard and Sixth Avenue, which were well lit. I was concerned about being visible but soon got quite comfortable. But it was on the back streets that I had the most fun, moving along in what felt like stealth mode and relishing the awesome quiet that surrounded me.

I paused briefly at the fountain and met a young kid who had just purchased his used bike from Craigslist today. He was toting a Didjeridu he had just made which was interesting cargo to say the least. He told me he was planning to ride from San Diego to Oregon next summer, because he was going to go to college up there. He planned to ride alone. It was really fun chatting with him.

I took off again and rode around the perimeter of Balboa Park and kept smiling at how much fun it was to ride in the dark. The bike is never going to win any races; it's not built for that. You ride this bike upright with flatbars, although I do like the ergonomic grips and trigger shifters.

The bike has the granniest gear I've ever tried -- it felt like I could ride up the sides of buildings, although I didn't give that a try. Although the shifters aren't top shelf, they shifted easily and reliably and I had no chain skip. The bike is whisper quiet as well.

AFter a fashion I got back to the fountain and the critical mass riders were still arriving. There must have been 150 bikes at that point -- many in costumes. I wish I'd had my camera. I saw...
  • a 50+ guy on a trike that was made up to look like the Starship Enterprise
  • a young woman dressed as a nurse, wearing a giant condom on her head, with a poster that said, "Ride safe"
  • lots of Little Bo Peeps
  • several pirates
  • a Klingon or two
  • a couple on a tandem with a cardboard (I assume?) horse all around them
  • a guy on the lowest recumbent I've ever seen, with a blinkie high atop a flagpole
  • strange bikes welded together in shapes almost unimaginable
  • and other costumes I can't even remember now

Coming home, there were bikes everywhere. I haven't seen this many bikes on the road ever. They were everywhere (and sadly, at least half the riders had no helmets, and a quarter of them had no lights).

I saw one group of older teenagers doing "reverse trick-or-treating." They went up to houses, and if someone answered the door, they gave THEM candy!

Anyway, the bike is sweet (and very different from my Roubaix). Needs a modest amount of tweaking on the saddle height tomorrow, but that's about it. It has the coolest Specialized platform peddles, and even a kickstand.

Oh -- and it's black, the new white. Just sayin'

The LBS (L&B in Point Loma) was out of panniers, so I will be looking for a good set. I won't be getting wire panniers this time -- too heavy and too permanently mounted on the bike.

Anyway, I had a BLAST and really, can't remember this much pure fun on my bikes in a long time.

Pics tomorrow, time permitting.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-31-08, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Oh -- and it's black, the new white. Just sayin'
This just might be the first thing you've said that makes any sense at all.

Although, my bikes are blue and I long ago got ride of all my black guitars
But still, black is "IT", babe...

I bought a CD a few years ago by Buckshot LeFonque.
One of the tunes on it starts off: "You don't. You don't stop"

Another bike? Wow.

Congrats.
Sounds like you have many happy miles in front of you
Old 10-31-08, 10:37 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Platform pedals. Kickstand. On the heavy side. Ergo grips. Comfortable ride.

Welcome to my world, DG. I like it here.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 10-31-08 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-31-08, 10:44 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If'n you were in these parts and since I now have 2 bents, I'd introduce you to the joys of riding in the easy chair on quiet, peaceful rail trails.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-31-08, 10:49 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
If'n you were in these parts and since I now have 2 bents, I'd introduce you to the joys of riding in the easy chair on quiet, peaceful rail trails.
That would be fun. I wish we had more trails around here. City riding is fun, but not all that peaceful!

Old 10-31-08, 11:59 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I got lights last Fall when I started commuting through the winter. If you think night-time is nice, try getting up before dawn this winter for a ride. Beautiful...
Old 11-01-08, 12:13 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I got lights last Fall when I started commuting through the winter. If you think night-time is nice, try getting up before dawn this winter for a ride. Beautiful...
Oh yeah, riding before dawn in Wisconsin in January is a real treat!

Old 11-01-08, 04:48 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Oh yeah, riding before dawn in Wisconsin in January is a real treat!

Yep, here too. Nothing can compare to the sound of that fresh snow squeaking
beneath your bikes snow tires. 'Cept maybe the frozen snot on the mustache, and
don't forget to look back at your tire tracks and see how straight you've been riding,
that is if your glasses aren't steamed over.

Oops, DG congrats on the new bike and the lights. Here's wishing you many
happy miles and smiles with it.
Old 11-01-08, 11:48 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the new steed!

Old 11-01-08, 12:20 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I paused briefly at the fountain and met a young kid who had just purchased his used bike from Craigslist today. He was toting a Didjeridu he had just made which was interesting cargo to say the least. He told me he was planning to ride from San Diego to Oregon next summer, because he was going to go to college up there. He planned to ride alone. It was really fun chatting with him.

Pics tomorrow, time permitting.
If the kid made his own Didgeridoo and he is planning on going to Oregon I might see him at "Indigenous" next August. There is a rather large gathering of Didge players there every year. Two weeks later they have Didgefest in North fork, California but I had one of the only bikes there.
Old 11-01-08, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice bike. Impressive dork disk, too, I might add.
Old 11-01-08, 02:39 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
Nice bike. Impressive dork disk, too, I might add.
That's part of the charm!

Old 11-01-08, 03:57 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DG, congratulations! It sounds like you've discovered the type of rider you really are, and the type of riding you most enjoy. I enjoy the fast, lightweight Roubaix when I really want the speed -- which is only when we're with a fast group. However, I love the ride on my LHT the most.
Old 11-01-08, 04:08 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Nice bike, DG. I just got back from a ride to the bike shop to pick up some parts and made a point of going over to check out "your" bike. Very nice. There are so many great options on the market these days, and so little room in my budget...
Old 11-04-08, 09:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I LOVE riding at night!! Two more weeks, and I'll be in Ft. Myers Fl. for the season.I'll be night riding a lot. I don't feel safe night riding on Cape Cod Ma. McGregor Blvd. in Ft. Myers is very cool to ride. All the little side streets on the west side of the street take you to the caloosahatchee river looking out towards Sanibel, and Cape Coral. Beautiful!!
Billbass
Old 11-05-08, 07:29 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great looking bike, DG. Black is classy

I love night riding. We have another night ride planned for this Saturday night. A short 20 miler with hot chocolate and cookies afterward

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-05-08, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
What the.....? A ride report with no mention of heart rate, feet climbed, ride profile, miles ridden, etc., etc. How very refreshing! I think you understand what it is all about.
And that is a very cool looking bike, maybe if I ask Santa....

Enjoy the Ride.
Old 11-05-08, 09:11 AM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike.

Looks great.

Lose the kickstand.

Hey, somebody had to say it.
Old 11-05-08, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice lines on that bike, and with the color... no wonder you felt like you were in stealth mode. Your stable seems to be growing. Oh, yeah, and might I suggest you look for panniers that are black too.
Old 11-05-08, 09:24 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another congrats on a great find... glad you enjoy the night... try one of those early morning "see the sunrise ride" ...maybe not quite as impressive in the city but worth a try.