Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A crash, busted helment and lost memory....

Happened to my good riding buddy on a group ride today just in front of me. He has years of riding experience and at a very high and agressive level----However he crossed wheels with the fellow in front of him and went down really hard. He hit the left side of his helment/head really hard on the asphalt and cracked his helment.

Fortunately there doesn't appear to be any broken bones but he had several scrapes on the back of his hand and shin. He even tore a big hole in his jersey right behind the back of his neck-I can't figure how in the heck that happened. He didn't slide as much as he bounced which helped to reduce the number of scrapes. Fortunately it was a cool morning so he had on long fingered gloves, knee warmers, arm warmers, etc. There were many holes in all his clothing but there wasn't nearly as many scrapes as there could have been.

The bike appears okay-just moved the shifters-but no damage to the wheels, carbon bars or titanium frame.

He was really stunned right after he crashed. I urged him to catch a ride in a sag vehicle back to the start but he was just determined to keep riding. I made him follow me and I cut the route short -but it was still about 20 miles.

His left hip starting getting pretty sore when we got back and he got off the bike.

Several times as we were riding back he'd ask me "What happened back there? I don't remember a thing......." Gee whiz....He really hit his head hard!!!

No telling what I'd be writing if he wasn't wearing a helment.

Update at 7:30 pm Saturday-I just talked to him again and he assures me he is fine now. His wife is there with him and will keep an eye on him. Oh man, he could hardly remember riding after the crash to get back in. All he remembers is just thinking he needed to stay on my wheel......He says he has a pretty large contusion on his leg as well.
    Last edited by jppe; 11-01-08 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He doesn't remember anything? Your friend needs to be checked out by a doctor just to be on the safe side. A concussion would not be all that surprising considering he hit his hear really hard and cracked his helmet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hask12 View Post
    He doesn't remember anything? Your friend needs to be checked out by a doctor just to be on the safe side. A concussion would not be all that surprising considering he hit his hear really hard and cracked his helmet.
    I'm not much on Doctors but in this case I believe Hask12 is correct.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Memory loss after trauma is quite common, but it would be wise to get your unwilling friend to a good ER. If he will not go, make sure he is not alone.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember after I fell, I rode back to where I was parked, got off the bike and fell right into the car. It happened about 10 miles from where I was parked. I sat there for about 10 minutes before loading the bike up and headed for the house. Anyway I hope he's OK now, but I got a feeling he may be hurting a little more tomorrow.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hardly remember when I got hit and my head did not get munched. fell face first and my helmet bounced my head off the pavement. only scratched my nose. that's the nature of accidents they numb the brain.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no memory of the minutes before or after my one collision with a car, almost exactly 32 years ago. If your friend has indeed suffered a concussion, the biggest danger would a second concussion in the next few days, so he may want to lay off cycling for at least a week or so.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a fall quite a few years ago on Black Ice.The only fall I have ever had on the road and this was when it was too Frosty to go offroad and on the MTB. Slid quite a distance and no damage to clothing but a couple of miles further on and I had a headache. Decided to stop and take an Aspirin and my fellow rider asked me to take my helmet off and look at it. It may only have been a headache and the Ice saved the clothing but that helmet outer shell was in tatters.

The helmet saved a lot of facial and scalp being left on the road---And it cost a new helmet.

And not biking but had a fall about 20 years ago down the stairs. Felt a bit dizzy and sat down for a couple of minutes. Went to work the next day but felt rough. Went home but straight to the doctors because I felt so bad. Concussion. Got the wife to pick me up as I felt too rough to drive. Got home and last thing I remembered after a sleep was feeling dizzy after the fall. Couldn't remember a thing in between.
    Last edited by stapfam; 11-01-08 at 01:21 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears to be a common thing with people getting their head trounced. Not just cycling, but skiing, etc. There's also the psychiatric episodes. My wife's spider bite so traumatized her she had short term memory loss for about 12 hours. The ER doc said the neuro Doc said that's also common.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happened to a friend of mine a few weeks ago, and my ER doctor neighbor virtually ordered her into ER to get herself checked out. Luckily he was on duty that afternoon, so he raced her to the front of the line and all was well. Friend had wanted to ride on as well, but we wouldn't let her continue. Afterward she admitted was probably a good idea.
    Zero gallons to the mile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hit my head on the pavement last month after a collision with a raccoon. I cracked my helmet. This is a route that I have done dozens of times. For about 3 to 5 minutes after I got up, I did not know where I was. I could have been on Times Square for all I knew. Then, my memory returned and I rode home, 10 miles. I knew who I was and what I was doing, I just didn't have a clue as to where I was. The brain acts in mysterious ways.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on getting checked out. If he won't go, at a minimum no bike rides and close observation for at least a week -- and don't tolerate any unusual symptoms.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +100 on getting checked out. my recent accident was an eye opener. have no memory of the 4 hours from hitting pavement to waking in the trauma unit. oh yes, I was out of it. scrapes and sore torso but nothing broken. issue they were worried about was the concussion and blood clots. I have had headaches for 3 weeks. Thankfully they are beginning to recede. Odd thing is that everyone says I was talking and answering questions with the ER techs and docs. My wife was also there talking with me. I have no memory of this at all. So even if you are 'coherent' you may not really be altogether there. Please get checked out.

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I crashed a week ago Saturday. I broke the helmet, some ribs and dislocated my collar bone. I rode home after ward. I did go the the ER and got checked out which I recommend in this case also. Better safe than sorry.

A few things I learned for this crash:

Helmets are essential to me on every ride.
    Broken ribs hurt.
    Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My regular riding partner fell while riding solo a couple of years ago. He had a blank memory for about 15 minutes, he remembers turning onto a local street, then nothing until he was at his home. Did not remember the fall, getting back on his bike, or riding home. He even put his bike back in his storage shed, had to go back out to see if it was damaged. Some scrapes and bruises, and damage to his helmet, so he knew he hit his head. Lucky it wasn't worse....

Head trauma is serious...nothing to ignore.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A neuro eval is always called for in such a situation, IMHO. Some brain damage has possibly occurred with loss of consciousness.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/ag/sec06/ch087/ch087a.html

If a head injury causes loss of consciousness, even briefly, immediate evaluation by a doctor is necessary. If doctors observe symptoms or findings that indicate possible brain injury, computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is done, and any significant injuries of the skull or brain tissue are treated. CT is more accurate for diagnosis of skull fractures, and MRI is more accurate for certain types of brain injuries. Skull x-rays are rarely helpful.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Gosh if he would have a bleed

HI,
    If he would have ruptered a small blood vessel it could have bled and put pressure on the brain a post bleed stroke, this could have made him pass out and could have stopped his breathing , never mess around with a concusion most of the sever damage occurs after the event maybe 5mins maybe 2 hours.exercise may speed up the event. its an easy fix it does require a little drilling,, hehe
    I hope he is ok, If he would have came here to our er he may have had an MRI to make sure his brain and vessels are aok.
    Doug
    My bet is a neuro would say take a week off from riding to be sure there's no swelling brain swelling can cause memory loss..
    Last edited by djnzlab1; 11-02-08 at 05:50 PM.

My Bikes
    Giant CRX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could have been much worse --

Man, 83, dies in charity ride crash

November 03, 2008 05:40am

AN 83-year-old man has died after crashing his bicycle during the Sydney to Wollongong charity bike ride.

Police said the man fell off his bike after his pedal clipped a traffic barrier on Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Thirroul about 12pm (AEDT) yesterday.

The Terrigal man suffered major head injuries, including multiple skull and facial fractures.

An off-duty paramedic and ambulance officers treated him at the scene.

He was taken to Wollongong Hospital, but died shortly before midnight with his family at his bedside
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...005961,00.html

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorey View Post
    Wonder if he was wearing a helmet or not.
    Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso