Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GPS with Cadence - I'm Sold!

I had mixed thoughts about using a Garmin 305 with the cadence sensor and heart rate monitor. I was skeptical that it would be nothing more than a toy. However, after a week of riding with it and looking at the data collected, I'm convinced that it will have some real value.

Here's what tipped the scale for me. In looking at my data I was shocked to see how often I stop pedaling during a ride. And with the graphs showing me just when, where and for how long I stopped, I realized my riding could be much smoother. This morning I went out with the specific intent of reducing the number of "non-pedaling" incidents that would show up in my data. With just this simple thing in mind, I've cut them in half and bumped up my average speed almost 0.6 MPH for a measured ride I do frequently.

I fully suspect that as I get deeper into the data (especially heart rate and time in specific zones), I'll do a much more effective job of keeping fit. OK, so it's still a bit for a gadget/toy, but a useful one!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Madone 6.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story........I bought the Edge 305 as a way to keep me "Honest". The feedback it gives me has helped my intensity and raised my average speed.
    You might want to take a look at SportTrack: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/that tracks all aspects of your ride. I've found it to be much better than TC that comes with Garmin products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 305 is a great gadget. It is very helpful for making sure that you do intervals with the proper intensity. I never got too into the cadence data, but I know that after gathering abut a year's worth of cadence data, you can fine tune your drive train to a collection of gears that meet your needs, not those of the manufacturer.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GPS is a great tool if you are looking to improve or train. I also use the SprotsTrack software to record my workouts and rides. Last spring I was able to see that I was overtraining by looking at my declining HR when doing intervals and in a crit race. Without the info I would have continued to ride hard thinking I was just having bad days.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Edge 705 with speed, cadence, heart rate and an altimeter. The altimeter is a plus over GPS grade / elevation data since it provides accurate numbers. Also, the 705 has the ANT + protocol which means that it can read power from power meters that support the standard which is the principal reason I opted for the 705.

I plan on getting a Quark crank based power meter once the sensor is available for compact cranks. Projected availability is January 2009.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I have the Edge 705 with speed, cadence, heart rate and an altimeter. The altimeter is a plus over GPS grade / elevation data since it provides accurate numbers. Also, the 705 has the ANT + protocol which means that it can read power from power meters that support the standard which is the principal reason I opted for the 705.

I plan on getting a Quark crank based power meter once the sensor is available for compact cranks. Projected availability is January 2009.
    Keep us in the loop about the Quark. I really wonder how it will compare with the Powertap. It would be a nice solution if it turns out to be accurate and reliable.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a 305 earlier this year when they came down to a "Sensible" price. Get annoyed when I go on a bike that doesn't have the 305 mount on it and have to use a normal computer.

But I do get a little hung up on the cadence thing. Like to keep at around 90 to 95 and like you get annoyed at the number of times I stop pedalling. Unfortunately- this is a fact on my rides. Too many junctions- too many lights and too much traffic. And I reckon that 150 cadence downhill must be about time I stopped pedalling.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOS-I continue to enjoy using my 305 with the cadence and HR as well. When it comes time to change the batteries in either the HR strap or the cadence transmitter, you will probably need to "restart scan" on the 305. I just had to do it for both the cadence and HR. The battery was out on the cadence sensor which made me notice how many times I actually glanced down to see what my cadence was....only to not find the data displayed.

Hermes-what differences are you seeing in the altimeter readings on the 705 versus the 305?

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Hermes-what differences are you seeing in the altimeter readings on the 705 versus the 305?
    It is a very dramatic difference and varies. I know that is a BS answer but true because the problem is that the GPS signal is disrupted in the mountains and by the tall redwood trees. I estimate that the climbing is 25 to 30% lower using the altimeter than the GPS. I no longer get the outrageous grades of 25 to 35%. The other thing that is noticeable is that the climb and descend elevation charts are mirror images of each other. With GPS, the elevation profile of the descent resembled the climb but not exactly.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Keep us in the loop about the Quark. I really wonder how it will compare with the Powertap. It would be a nice solution if it turns out to be accurate and reliable.
    I have talked with the Quark people and they seem responsible and disclose issues they are having. It is my understanding the sensor is working very well. With respect to power meters in general, they all have their peccadilloes. At least with Quark, the price point is high but not outrageous such as with the SRM pro.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    It is a very dramatic difference and varies. I know that is a BS answer but true because the problem is that the GPS signal is disrupted in the mountains and by the tall redwood trees. I estimate that the climbing is 25 to 30% lower using the altimeter than the GPS. I no longer get the outrageous grades of 25 to 35%. The other thing that is noticeable is that the climb and descend elevation charts are mirror images of each other. With GPS, the elevation profile of the descent resembled the climb but not exactly.
    The 705 & 305 use a barometric altimeter while the 605 & 205 only use GPS for altitude.

Are you saying the altimeter on the 705 is better than the 305? (There is certainly room for improvement.) How are you determining which is better? I know about the accuracy of the 305 by comparing out & back runs where the altitude should be the same both ways. Sometimes it is pretty good, other times it varies quite a bit.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still loving my 305 after a year and a half. Having accurate speed, accurate distance (even if you change to a wider tire wheelset), climbing, cadence, and heart rate all on the same device, and easily uploaded to my computer is just awfully nice.

If you have cadence sensors on more than one bike, you have to do a scan for the sensor each time you change bikes.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byte_speed View Post
    The 705 & 305 use a barometric altimeter while the 605 & 205 only use GPS for altitude.

Are you saying the altimeter on the 705 is better than the 305? (There is certainly room for improvement.) How are you determining which is better? I know about the accuracy of the 305 by comparing out & back runs where the altitude should be the same both ways. Sometimes it is pretty good, other times it varies quite a bit.
    I may have misspoke. I have an older version Forerunner 305 which does not have an altimeter and gave sporadic elevation profiles and grade. The new Edge 305 on the Garmin website has an altimeter. So I do not know if the 305 equipped with an altimeter similar to the 705.