My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grocery panniers

Got any recommendations?

I've been scouring the net and the bricks and mortar, but nothing yet that floats my boat. Saw one at Performance Bikes (in town) that looked like it might be good (soft bags, no top) for $49 but then saw it ON performancebikes.com for quite a bit less, but then I read the reviews and they weren't all that positive.

I want bags that are secure yet easy to take off into the store, fairly lightweight, and don't hit my foot when I peddle.

Here's the one I looked at: Transit Grocery Bag Pannier which is on sale on the net at about $30 each.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.rei.com/product/733820

Get 2 for the price.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bought my pair at a LBS, but they're too heavy (12 lbs!), so i took 'em off... i then made a pair out of a set of soft-sider igloo bags (about $6 at the local Big Lots)... nice for hot weather, but not as secure with a heavier load..

but honestly, i do my weekly Farmer's Market shopping using just a cheap Nashbar messenger bag and haven't run into trouble...

of course, i'm only shopping for two, not a big family...

other folks have used the big kitty litter buckets to good effect (e.g., ScoopAway):

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you get- make certain they fit the bike and the rack.

Did a ride with someone that had bags too large for the rack. I warned him that the bags were too big as the bottom of the bag was rubbing against the spokes- I also warned him that he had a rear wheel wobble about 10 miles later.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No recomendations but make sure you check the things ON YOUR BIKE.

I use the Deuter Rack Pack I.
    I've used them on 4 different racks.
    They don't fit on any of them!

The problem is the little tongue at the bottom of the pack that's supposed to clip behind the rack. On the Deuter, it's about a quarter inch too low, not enough to stop me using them but enough to need forcing onto the rack. These panniers offer adjustments in every direction ... except up and down.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte IT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a set of Wald folding baskets to my rear rack on my 'grocery getter' bicycle. They fold up very nicely, are adjustable to avoid heel conflicts, and are well made. Just add a couple of the newly popular reusable grocery bags and that adds the portability you need to go in the store.

Just another option, maybe worth a look.

http://waldsports.qbsoft.com/index.c...ingbasket.html

Mark
    2006 Serotta Fierte IT
    2012 Jamis Coda

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got almost three years of use on my Nashbar Townie Basket grocery panniers. When they're on sale they're $15-$20 each.

Others are more fashionable, but these were cheap and they work just fine. Not that it matters in San Diego, but they come with rain covers too.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two of the Transit grocery panniers, and use them a lot. Mine are two years old, and other than being two years dirty, they are as good as the day I bought them.

I sometimes load them pretty heavy, without problem, and they pretty much live on my bike, hanging on a rear rack. They fold up pretty tight, and I hold them tighter by threading a monkey ball thru the shoulder strap bracket, thereby tieing them tighter together, when empty.

They have not failed me in any manner, carrying pretty heavy loads frm time to time.

I bought them at Performance on a half off sale, paying $20 each.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the grocery (Trader Joe's in my case) I use some cheapo Performance panniers on the back and some really ugly turquoise Kirtland panniers in the front (see the photo of my Hercules in the "Simple Bike" thread).

Anyway, mine are very cheap, not the least bit attractive, but they do work quite well.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't take the panniers off of the bike for groceries, preferring to load the plastic sacks (which I reuse for trash) into the panniers. Loading a full pannier onto a bike would, in my case, be a challenge.

I can get 2 regular bags into each pannier, plus I have a foldup backpack I carry for two more grocery bags.

I have panniers on 2 bikes (total of four). One set from EBay - and one set on sale from mail order.

Additionally, my wife has one pannier on each of her bikes.

Each pannier uses a different mounting system, but they all will fit onto a rack securely, which is definitely a concern to watch for.

I don't hit any of them with my feet while pedaling.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-04-08 at 04:17 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Breezer Finesse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a thread awhile back about somebody who made panniers out of those new recyclable mesh grocery bags, but I can't seem to find it. Very slick setup and easy to make.
    Last edited by Editz; 11-04-08 at 06:03 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Editz View Post
    There was a thread awhile back about somebody who made panniers out of those new recyclable mesh grocery bags, but I can't seem to find it. Very slick setup and easy to make.
    I believe this is the link to the thread you mention.

How to make Grocery Panniers for $4
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    +1 on the REI set. Plus, they're deeper than the Nashbar/Transit ones.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got some Avenir Excursion Large Panniers. I wouldn't just put a large grocery sack in there, maybe the plastic or reusable ones. Load them when you get on the bike. They can hold a lot of stuff if you pack them. They hang off the side of a regular rack.

http://spokesetc.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2447
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have those Transits and use them every day on my commuter. I really load 'em up. A lot. Laptop in it's bag, school papers and books, clothes and food.
    I toss a bungee cord on for the laptop just because I'm a nervous about it. But they've held up well and work well. The reflector really reflects too.

Note that I had to hang them on the back part of the rack to get foot clearance.

WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Gray Haired Commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I believe this is the link to the thread you mention.

How to make Grocery Panniers for $4
    I made a set today. I used coroplast instead of the board recommended in the thread. Right now coroplast is real cheap--as in free. My neighborhood was full of 24inch wide McCain/Palin signs that work perfectly!
    Dave Clary
    Corpus Christi,TX
    Home: http://davidclary.com
    Blog: DaveGetsFit

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG, this is like the 3rd time you've started a thread like this! Are you looking for new products, since you haven't liked the ones mentioned?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    DG, this is like the 3rd time you've started a thread like this! Are you looking for new products, since you haven't liked the ones mentioned?
    I don't remember doing this before. But since I have a perfect memory, I must be having recall problems again. Dang it!

Besides, this is a new bike. I got the wire panniers for the Cypress and although I love their size, I hate the clips you use to keep 'em folded. Really tight and hard to use.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, to refresh your memory, this is what I recommend. I've turned 3 friends onto them, now, too. They're 55 bucks, I've never had them come off, and they don't hit my foot (and I've used them a classic road bike, a mountain bike and my Atlantis). A grocery bag fits in each one, as long as you don't over fill it width-wise. I've had them for about a year and a half, and I use them constantly. I use them almost every time I ride.

I don't use them in KS, because the wind would take me to TX. They will slow you down in the wind like parachutes, but they snap closed right on the bike when you're not using them. They also have a thing that connects them to each other if you need.

So easy to get off and on that you don't even think about avoiding it.

Edit: Available at REI

Last edited by solveg; 11-06-08 at 05:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dclaryjr View Post
    My neighborhood was full of 24inch wide McCain/Palin signs that work perfectly!
    Seems to me they didn't work too well.

I tried to resist, honest I did. It was just too easy.

Randomhead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    Well, to refresh your memory, this is what I recommend.
    what brand/model are they?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    what brand/model are they?
    They're Novara "round town" panniers. You can read reviews on the website.... Click on the name I underlined.

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=365215
    I have some of these & like them better than the Nashbar Panniers I had previously. They are well made, go on & off the bike easily. They have a shoulder strap for carrying off the bike. They only cost $2 each but you have to buy 10. When I got mine, they were selling them in sets of 5 for $9.95, here is what they look like on the bike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    visit my homebuilding blog: www.monoplanar.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollo_ollo View Post
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=365215
    I have some of these & like them better than the Nashbar Panniers I had previously. They are well made, go on & off the bike easily. They have a shoulder strap for carrying off the bike. They only cost $2 each but you have to buy 10. When I got mine, they were selling them in sets of 5 for $9.95, here is what they look like on the bike
    The ones in the link say that they're only 3" deep and 10" square. The ones on your bike look bigger, and much better suited to groceries....

My Bikes
    Trek Multitrack 700 custom build, Dahon Classic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    I've got almost three years of use on my Nashbar Townie Basket grocery panniers. When they're on sale they're $15-$20 each.

Others are more fashionable, but these were cheap and they work just fine. Not that it matters in San Diego, but they come with rain covers too.
    I bought a pair back in July for $20 each with shipping, and I'm quite satisfied. But... the Nashbar site has them listed now for $30 each + shipping. They must have been selling by the gross back when gas was >$4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast