Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Turned 50 micro disectomy post op

I had surgery oct 3rd.They told me to walk alot which is what I did.Then they said I could begin cycling again.Well I took it literally.I went back to my way of riding.Climbing steep mountains.The incision began to swell up.I had no pain and was back in form.On my DR visit I was told too stop biking.Because I had torn some of the muscle at the incision.Thats when it started to hurt again.Not my back or scatia but the wound area.So after 5 miserable days my pain is becoming less.My question is does anyone think the muscle is healing?That the pain was because of the healing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a doctor but here's my uneducated, diagnosis-over-the-internet guess: you over did it. Muscles were probably cut during your back surgery and they weren't allowed to heal adequately before you started pounding those hills. Lack of muscle pain does not mean post-surgery healing is complete. That takes time (6 weeks?). Listen to your body for things like swelling around the incision or pain and listen to your doctor. Your idea of cycling is probably a lot different than your doctor's, so don't make biking a yes/no question with him. Ask him in terms of when, how much and how hard. Good luck with the healing.
    '84 Trek 660 , '88 Trek 1500 ,'89 Trek 400 , '97 Trek 720 , '99 Trek 2200, '02 Trek 520

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranman View Post
    Your idea of cycling is probably a lot different than your doctor's, so don't make biking a yes/no question with him. Ask him in terms of when, how much and how hard. Good luck with the healing.
    Had a bypass in 99 and when I talked to the Dr. about cycling- his one question was WHY? We agreed a gentle recovery ride routine and to be honest- that was all I could manage. It was not the heart that was the problem, although the Beta blockers did cause a problem, it was the incision. It was about 6 weeks before I started to ride with any power- and increased milage gradually but at 12 weeks I did a 40 miler with a few stiff bits in it. At 4 months I saw the Surgeon and he asked why my HR and blood pressure were near normal. When I told him about the cycling he had a fit- but then realised how much I had improved.

Get over this problem you currently have- and then start riding gently. Do PIE rides- 20 miles on flatlands to a cafe and take in the scenery- Do a couple of charity rides and take the wife with you- Or the neighbours wife if she is slower. Just don't setback the hard work that has cost you a fortune already.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your doctor was probably imagining you sitting atop a hybrid and cruising down a flat bike path to the the cafe on saturday arvo, NOT assaulting a flamin' mountain!

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed

Yes.Im off for several more weeks.That makes alot of sense.I am feeling better but Im not going to push my luck anymore