User Tag List

Thread: 2nd time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd time

For a close call.

Monday AM road ride with a buddy, we are 1/2 mile from my house, heading north on a 2 lane (one lane ea. direction) residential street, south shore Nassau County, NY - so a heavily populated area. Side streets crossing at 1/4 mile intervals, I am aware from many past rides that we need to pay attention to traffic crossing from the side streets as visibility is poor - bushes, fences, etc... Plus not every block has stop signs, though we have none in the direction we are traveling

We get 30-40 ft. from a side street, observing a car heading south in the opposite lane, when a school bus decides to "coast" thru the it's stop sign (all the side streets on this block have stop signs) and crosses our lane, right to left, and proceeds to nail the car heading south. Full side impact, pushes the guy clear across the intersection into the oncoming lane and into a car stopped at the stop sign in the opposite lane. 3 car, well 1 bus and 2 car accident time.

The driver that gets broadsided is badly hurt. Broken leg, probably broken ribs. The car is 1/3 the width. The bus driver "insists" she stopped. We call 911, wait, help the driver, tell bus driver to shut the f _ _ k up and to get back in the bus (no kids on bus), I have ZERO patience for her at that moment...... give statements to police, and proceed on our now abbreviated ride.

My buddy and I both admit to feeling very nervous and shaken, as we both realize we were 3-5 seconds from getting nailed. We'd might also be dead in all likelihood, as the bus was moving.

Maybe 6 years ago I was stopped on a side street, with another riding buddy. Also south shore Nassau County, this time at a light at an intersection with a busy north/south road. There's a Jeep Wrangler stopped in front of us and we stopped behind the Jeep as she had her right turn signal on.

Light changes, the Jeep proceeds into her turn and gets broadsided by a Cadillac running the red light. Nobody hurt on this one, but AGAIN, a scenario of 3-5 seconds or so and it would've been me.

I live in a heavily populated area. I know that increases my chances for getting hit. I'm also a master at finding and knowing all the local streets and roads that keep me away from the worst of the idiots. I've been road riding these streets for 19 seasons, and while I've had close calls, only twice been hit. I know how that sounds, but both times were in the first 2 years of road riding and I know that 60,000 miles later I'm a much better and much more aware cyclist and feel that my experience helps keep me safe. But this past incident makes me feel like I just used up a whole lot of luck and am wondering if it's going to run out.

Just some random thoughts.

Steve B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't even begin to count the number of times I would have been
    "Dead Right" due to someone running a light or stop sign. I can even
    remember once in our '71 Triumph Spitfire waiting 3rd in line at the
    red light. The light turns green, we all start moving and I suddenly
    slam on my brakes. The car behind me barely stops and is glaring
    angrily at me until he sees the big station wagon blow by me just inches
    from my front bumper. He would have killed my wife (passenger) had
    I not checked before proceeding through the intersection.

Be careful always as life is hazardous to your health.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Experiences like that are scary. I have had a few and I don't even like to remember them.