Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-06-08, 10:50 PM   #1
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
A new perspective

Cold weather got you down? Disappointed in your latest ride stats?

Here's a little piece of inspiration for a new perspective.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=2I0DRk8dFjI
Old 11-07-08, 04:55 AM   #2
sabinapw

Bikes:
Hi Yen. Yes Nick Vujicic certainly does have have an amazing story to tell. My son in law grew up friends with Nick in Brisbane, Australia. Both their families went to the same church. Nick went through some real tough times coming to grips with his disabilities. Now Nick lives most of the time in the USA telling his story in order to help and inspire others.
PS This is the first time I have posted although I have often read your posts and have followed your progress in cycling. My husband and I are still relative newbies to cycling. We mainly do recreational cycling on the bike paths in the area and still consider 20 kilometres a long way to ride! Maybe one day we will do the distances that you people do. However we have taken the advice of many of the forum members and have recently progressed from our department store bikes to better entry level bike -a giant cypress for my husband and a Marin Bear Valley for myself. Kind regards, Sabina
sabinapw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 07:43 AM   #3
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Linear,
Yes, an inspiration...thanks for showing that one. I am sure there are many more people out there that could give us a boost. Life is good for nick and all who wish to live the blessings, not the negative, that has been given to us. We all get hit by stuff that pulls us down but nick shows how it is possible to pull ourselves up...in more ways than one.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 08:37 AM   #4
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
That was great, Yen, thanks for sharing.

I can read Hangul (the Korean language) but not fast enough or with enough comprehension to follow all the subtitles.

That's an amazing human being.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 10:51 AM   #5
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
I never go to You Tube unless someone sends me a link; this one was sent to us by a senior member of our bike group. Another video there shows him shaving, brushing his teeth, getting on his wheelchair, jumping into a swimming pool and swimming -- all unassisted; many tasks that we take for granted throughout the day. His web site is LifeWithoutLimbs.org.
Old 11-07-08, 07:35 PM   #6
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
Thanks for sharing that Yen. I had a paragragh written about why I was feeling down this week and when I read it and thought about the video I realized is that all I should be feeling is thankful.
RoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 10:53 PM   #7
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
sabinapw - welcome! I'm glad the post about Nick drew you out. My first bike last year was a Giant Cypress.... it's a very good bike, but too big for me.

RoMad - that's why I posted it. It's easy to be down about things that aren't really important..... glad you're feeling better now.