User Tag List

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over 50 Sunglasses

I stopped buying expensive sunglasses 2-3 years ago. Now I buy safety glasses for $7.00 or so a pop. Look good and when I'm working around our place I've got eye protection. Now I started bicycling about 3 months ago: bought a Giant OCR1 and a Blackburn Neuro 6.0 cyclometer. The Blackburn is great but there is one field in the display that is pretty small for my farsighted 62 year-old eyes. Bought a pair of gray safety glasses with 2.0 diopter inserts! Especially when cycling you don't even know the inserts are there unless you look down. Not only can I read the very small numbers in the upper right-hand corner, but the whole display is easier to read - don't have to take your eyes of the road for but an instant.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple pairs of Oakley sunglasses that I've worn for 12 years. I love them, although they don't make those models anymore, so I quit wearing them. If I break them I can't replace the broken parts.

I found some Ryder sunglasses that come with lenses for sunny, cloudy, and night riding. Less than $50 for the frames, 3 lenses, and a nice case. They fit well and work fine. End of sunglass snobbery.

I wear contacts, and need some kind of glasses to keep the air from blowing directly on my eyes. Even so, after long, windy rides my contacts often feel like potato chips. Someday I'll have prescription sunglasses to wear, meanwhile, the cheapies serve the need.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    ...I found some Ryder sunglasses that come with lenses for sunny, cloudy, and night riding. Less than $50 for the frames, 3 lenses, and a nice case. They fit well and work fine. End of sunglass snobbery.
    My story's the same.... I found some Tifosi sunglasses at..... Performance I think..... with interchangeable lenses (sunny/cloudy/night), about same price as RR's in a nice case with a bag that also serves as a cleaning cloth. I keep the night lenses in those, and wear my even less pretentious pair of riding-style sunglasses I bought at Target for less than $20.00. I have prescription sunglasses but they aren't for cycling and the frames block too much of my vision when I'm checking for cars and other hazards.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to buck the trend- but I have never got on with the cheap range of cycling glasses. I can remember buying a pair of well known- but cheap- cycling glasses with 3 different lens- but took them back to the shop and worked my way up the range till I found something I liked. Eventually I got Rudy Project ll's and they were fantastic. I actually went back about 6 months later and bought a spare pair- for when I break the frames. This occured about 5 years later and went to replace them- only to find that project ll's were no longer made. So I now have one pair of project ll's that I am very carefull with and another pair of Rudy projects that cost about twice as much- and they are as comfortable as the project's.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The choice is up to you, they come in two classes...
    High tone shades and cheap sunglasses. Oh yeah!

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 50 dollar Tifosi and a couple pair of 20 dollar cheapies. I loose my sun glasses to often to buy anything more expensive.
    09 Specialized Crosstrail Elite
    08 Cannondale Six13 3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need progressive lenses for any "seeing."

So, my sunglasses are progressive regular tinted lenses. Even at 69, I am near-sighted.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use my prescription regular glasses. They are progressive/sunsensors and work fine.
    The frames are wired and my Take-A-Look mirror fits on the metal temple.
    Simple, no fuss/no muss!

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I stopped buying expensive sunglasses 2-3 years ago. Now I buy safety glasses for $7.00 or so a pop.
    Bought a pair of gray safety glasses with 2.0 diopter inserts!
    $7.00?? What did you get? I've only seen these.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    $7.00?? What did you get? I've only seen these.
    That's exactly the pair that came to my mind when this thread started. I've been thinking about picking up a pair for working in my shop.

If you prefer straight sunglasses, however, Duluth also stocks these for a lot less.
    Last edited by BillK; 11-11-08 at 09:25 AM.
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i buy the cheap ones with the +3 diopter (so i can read my cyclocomputer):

elvex rx-300 +3 gray lens for $8.60

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of prescription sunglasses that I used to wear all the time while riding. They are not the wrap around style and I always was concerned with them falling off if I looked behind. This past spring I bought a pair of fishing sun glasses, at Gander Mountain for $15, that have the little lenses built into the bottom of the sun glasses. My next purchase is a pair of clear wraparound safety glasses for night riding. There's no need for the inserts since I can't see the computer or GPS anyway. I am in Lowe's and Home Depot all the time but keep forgetting to buy them. OMG, another senior moment!

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

I wear my sunglasses at night
    so I can
    so I can
    Keep track of the visions in my eyes.

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear Tri-Focals. So, I bought a really good pair of clip-ons to wear over my regular glasses.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

hit that streets a-runnin and try to beat the masses
    And go get yourself some cheap sunglasses

My Bikes
    08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (drop bar touring bike), 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1971 Claud Butler Tipo Strada (under resto)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, also wear trifocals. The current frames I'm wearing came with a pair of matching magnetic clip-on sun glasses. They're a perfect match to the frames, flip up for use in dark areas (but not while riding) and have worked excellently for all my riding.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have single vision inserts in my Rudy sunglasses. The wrap-around lenses really keep my eyes from watering when it's cold. I can see the bike computer, but can't read a map very well. One of the other riders in my Sunday ride got some stick-on bifocals similar to these. He liked them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only bad thing about cheap sunglasses is if they don't provide UV protection. If they don't, they are actually worse for your eyes than no sunglasses because they allow for your pupil to open more, which allows more UV damage.

My eyes are worth paying for UV protection.

My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    The only bad thing about cheap sunglasses is if they don't provide UV protection. If they don't, they are actually worse for your eyes than no sunglasses because they allow for your pupil to open more, which allows more UV damage.

My eyes are worth paying for UV protection.
    That's also a problem with some of the light sensing prescription glasses...I have both the sun-sensors and prescription sunglasses - not a cheap solution, though.
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

The Netherlands - flat and windy that is.
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought some WileyX glasses especially because they protect against extreme winds that hurts my eyes. The set includes blank glass and dark glasses and foam/rubbery insert that fills the gap between the glasses and the eyes. It not completely closes off the gap - to overcome damp building up. Works great. Tried the Adidas glasses the same sort of "climate" insert; but way to expensive. The WileyX just came in at less than half the price of the Adidas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I buy safety glasses for $7.00 or so a pop.
    +1 for the safety glasses. I bought a 3 pack at either Sam's' Club or Costco a few years ago. They came with a single case and I believe I paid around $12. They came with (2) clear and (1) dark lenses and the dark ones had UV protection.

I like the idea of the safety glasses with bifocal feature. Most of my riding is done in the early morning hours so part of the ride is always in the dark. It is had to read those small numbers on the back-lit computer in the dark. In the daylight I do not have a problem reading the computer display. I think I will head down to my local Harbor Freight & Tools store and see it they carry them.
    Size matters