Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Interesting postings?

Funny how sometimes there are plenty of New postings on the forum and at other times there is a dirth of them. Seem to be in the dirth right now but considering as how everyone is winding down the season and not much going on- I suppose it is normal.

So Saturday night- been dodging the weather for most of the day in the garden and not much on the biking scene. Tomorrow I will be riding down to the coast to watch the remembrance day service. In theory it should be the 11th hour of the 11th day of the11th month to commemorate the ending of the first world war but it is held on the nearest Sunday to that date. Eastbourne has special significance in that one of its residents is one of the 4 remaining servicemen from the first world war. He is 112 and I doubt that he will be at the service tomorrow due to the weather that is expected. Plenty of rain and wind so unless he is going and staying in a car- he will not be there. I will be- just to pay my respects to the many members of the armed forces that did not come back from their theatre of action that they participated in. Unfortunately- that includes many of my Comrades from my time in the forces.

So all I have planned on the bike front tomorrow is a slow ride down to the coast- then meet a few of my old regiment that will be there and home. Sounds dismal but just something that I like to keep up each year. And you never know- the weather may be kind enough for me to get a few miles in after the service.

Take it that some of you have better weather than we are expecting so may have plans to do the last metric of the season- or just get out to clear the cobwebs. So what are your plans for tomorrow?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Over here we have combined all of the rememberances into on day, still held on the 11th but known as Veteran's Day.

Unfortunately, from my point of view, it is not a universal holiday and many, if not most people will have to be at work.

In case I get busy and forget to post this..... For all of you who have served in the armed forces, Thankyou.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your post reminds me of the 1992 Roger Waters CD "Amused To Death" which is dedicated to Private William Hubbard (1888-1917), Eighth Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, City of London Regiment.

...And to quote maddmaxx " For all of you who have served in the armed forces, Thankyou."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Funny how sometimes there are plenty of New postings on the forum and at other times there is a dirth of them. Seem to be in the dirth right now but considering as how everyone is winding down the season and not much going on- I suppose it is normal....

So what are your plans for tomorrow?
    Funny you should post this. I had a very active session, for me, this morning (11/8/08) on Bike Forums. I subscribed to four discussion threads, sent four PM's and receive done reply to which I responded. Also I did a 28 mile RT commute today on an overcast, but otherwise pleasant November day in the mid 50's, even in the morning. I rarely ride on Sundays (tomorrow) due to Family schedules.

Speaking of PM's, since I have been posting to Bike Forums for the past few months, I have a sent to received (sent:received) PM ratio of 263:103, about 2.6:1. The sent # includes not only initial "cold" messages but also replies. Maybe that would make an interesting discussion thread on some Forum; how many responses do you receive to PM's?

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today is another beautiful day in SoCal. Perfect for a bike ride to where ever. I just wish I was all heeled up and could ride.

Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never have sent (well, maybe two) a PM as an originator. but I always respond.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a very American outlook, isn't it? Nothing much is happening there, so nothing is happening in the rest of the world.

Right now I am putting in a lot of kilometres as spring progresses and summer looms. The weather actually has been like a normal spring around here, rather than an overpowering feeling of drought. Sunshine interspersed with rain each week. It's done wonders for the orchards, and the hay and silage is already being harvested in anticipation of a second cut later in the season.

In addition, the temperatures have been fairly mild compared with previous years, so the riding has been pretty darned good.

I've been using my ride time to explore my region, taking sideroads I normally would bypass. That means picking and choosing depending on the bike -- MTB sometimes, road others. Then there are the state forests around here that are challenging in their climbing... and their descents. But the Australan bush is a magnificent place to be.

I've also been giving my new Merlin CF bike a good workout, my fixed gear is about to tick over 3000km for the year (today, when I go shopping), and I've been planning a single-speed project for a commuter bike using an MTB frame. I've just been on another mini-spending spree, acquiring bar-end shifters for a long-term touring bike project, tyres of various sorts, and other minor gear.

And Machka and I are planning her move to Australia next year, which is very exciting for both of us.

Of course, the Australian racing seasons is about to start, and there is huge anticipation as Lance Armstrong makes his road-racing return in the Tour Downunder. We've already had the Herald-Sun Tour which passed through my region, and the MTB racing season is in full swing, according to my employer's top boss -- who is now a confirmed off-road nut.

So there you go. Expanded horizons and all that.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    It's a very American outlook, isn't it? Nothing much is happening there, so nothing is happening in the rest of the world.
    Err, Rowan - Stapfam, the original OP, is from England. Unless the US has annexed England, this was an English perspective, not American.

My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a very American outlook, isn't it? Nothing much is happening there, so nothing is happening in the rest of the world...
    Except that OP is from...

Ahhh you beat me to it.

At least I can point out that it's "dearth", not "dirth".
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK... Northern Hemisphere, then!
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Err, Rowan - Stapfam, the original OP, is from England. Unless the US has annexed England, this was an English perspective, not American.
    There will always be an England....

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    There will always be an England....
    And you can see Ireland from your house!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    And you can see Ireland from your house!
    And you can see Mexico from San Diego, and recently I saw Canada from Washington state.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Over here we have combined all of the rememberances into on day, still held on the 11th but known as Veteran's Day.

Unfortunately, from my point of view, it is not a universal holiday and many, if not most people will have to be at work.

In case I get busy and forget to post this..... For all of you who have served in the armed forces, Thankyou.
    With that thought in mind:

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you can see Mexico from San Diego, and recently I saw Canada from Washington state.
    Does that qualify you as an expert on foreign policy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Does that qualify you as an expert on foreign policy?
    So I've heard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excuse me you foreign policy experts, but back on topic, I am going to ride my bike up Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado tomorrow. Maybe I will be able to see New Mexico? That will be cool for the northern hemisphere. But I am no foreign policy expert.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One time I saw the mountains above Las Vegas from the mountains above Palm Springs. It was a beautifully clear day.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    One time I saw the mountains above Las Vegas from the mountains above Palm Springs. It was a beautifully clear day.
    I had the opportunity once to stand atop Table Mountain in South Africa. Face one direction, and you can watch the sun rise over the Indian Ocean. Turn around a few hours later, and you can watch the sun set over the Atlantic Ocean.

Last edited by Digital Gee; 11-08-08 at 10:47 PM.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Northern Hemisphere shares a common perspective?

Let's see, that would include the USA, Canada, Mexico, all of Europe, Russia, China, Japan, Iran, Israel, Georgia, Pakistan, Vietnam, and so on and so forth.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be more specific then...

It is a typical outlook from those living in countries, such as the US and the UK.

Happy now?
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you stay attached down there... Being upside down and all that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful, otherwise I might just have to grind you guys into the ground by posting how good life is every day here.

I've just come back from my shopping trip, round journey of 60km, riding fixed gear of course. It was magnificent. Sunny, hardly any wind, mid-20s deg C temperature, polite drivers (not one erect finger, but plenty of thank you waves for wide passing).

Beautiful fragrances wafting from various gardens, verdant pastures with cattle grazing contentedly... life is truly good when there is cycling like that to behold.

I've got a few things on my list on eBay that may be resolved tonight. Yesterday I scored a blue and silver helmet to match the Merlin.

The fruit on the trees in the orchards where I work is growing nicely, we've kept at bay black spot infections that almost ruined our crops last year, and there is plenty of work to keep me securely employed despite the downturn... I like my job most days. Irony is, some of our plums are headed as exports to England early next year.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vtc12ip View Post
    How do you stay attached down there... Being upside down and all that.
    Gaffer tape.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    The Northern Hemisphere shares a common perspective?

Let's see, that would include the USA, Canada, Mexico, all of Europe, Russia, China, Japan, Iran, Israel, Georgia, Pakistan, Vietnam, and so on and so forth.
    We all view the water circulating round the bowl in the same direction after hitting the flush handle.........don't we? Well, perhaps not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast