Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even the pros abandon...

The forecasts all said rain in the North Bay with a slight chance of shower south of the Golden Gate
    Dang... I had my day planned all week
    Got up and looked out the window... hm high-ish cloud layer... no rain... wind is light...
    still gonna be cold but that's what the UA is for... I'm DOing it!

So off I headed up the 600 foot climb out of town and into The City to go visit a couple of shops and check out some steel. Well, I get to the top of my climb and head over to the highway... everything's fine. Until I start the drop down the highway and the lower I go and the closer to the beach I get, the more the drops start to pick up. Not too bad, though, just annoying and, well, I'm kind of committed at this point.

So, first stop, Nomad Cyclery at 27th and Irving. They have the Jamis Aurora Elite.
    It's a fun ride up from the Old Great Highway to 27th Ave.
    That's a ride of about 20 blocks, 1.2 miles.
    Each intersection is level. Each block in between goes up @ about 2%-5%.
    It's like climbing stairs -BIG stairs- on a bike.
    Kind of fun really once you get into the "stop and go" rhythm.

It's getting pretty wet so the owner'll only let me take the Jamis out for a couple of blocks.
    Can't say I blame him.
    Even in that short a ride with under inflated tires and seriously misadjusted handlebars I can see this bike is the real thing. I LIKE the Jamis. I'd like to try it on a more serious test ride.
    The only problem is, this isn't my shop and loyalty to a good shop -and mine is- means something to me. Besides, the owner is cute.

So I head up another 30 blocks -1.75 miles- of 2%-6% blocks and head to my shop to see what's what.
    I know they carry Surly and Redline. Maybe there's an LHT in my future. The rain is getting harder. It's getting colder and windy... Damn! Why didn't I bring my rain jacket? Stupidstupidstupid.

So, I get to my shop and what do they have right there on the floor? A Soma. A beautiful red Soma.
    You guys carry Soma? Yep. And Salsa, too. Well, bad move on my part.
    Heather -the owner- is spec'ing a couple of Soma packages for me just to see what she can come up with
    Yeah, she's *** me pegged.

But custom is gonna be pricey.

I didn't want to spend this much, I had a budget.
    The Jamis is right at the edge.
    But the Soma frames are soooooo nice and a bike made just for me? How can I say No?
    The Smoothie even comes in a green that can kind of remind me of my old Varsity.
    Or they have a blue ES that could nicely take the place of my LeMond.
    Yep. Maybe sell off the Kaitai and the Reno.
    Steel and carbon. What more do I need? Why aluminum? Why not more room in the garage?

Well, now my head's spinning and Ihead west down those 30 blocks into the wind and rain
    The rain hurts. I'm cold. It's just dripping wet. I get to the Great Highway.
    I call the sag wagon
    I quit... no mas

Yes, I called Mrs S and asked her to come get me. And she did
    I rode another couple of miles where it would easy to pick me up and I waited.
    As I shut off the Garmin I see: "20 miles". I smile. It was a good day.

Got home and had some hot soup (minestrone with a sausage) and then went out and lovingly wiped and cleaned and oiled that Giant and her up. Tuesday, I'm off. It's supposed to be nice. We'll head out again, then.

But... that Soma. I am smitten. Maybe it won't be that much.

And here I thought it was a cute, poignant little story.
    Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 11-08-08 at 10:55 PM.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the point in having a budget if you can't ignore it?

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    So, I get to my shop and what do they have right there on the floor? A Soma. A beautiful red Soma.
    You guys carry Soma? Yep. And Salsa, too. Well, bad move on my part.
    Heather -the owner- is spec'ing a couple of Soma packages for me just to see what she can come up with
    Yeah, she's *** me pegged.

But custom is gonna be pricey.

I didn't want to spend this much, I had a budget.
    The Jamis is right at the edge.
    But the Soma frames are soooooo nice and a bike made just for me? How can I say No?
    The Smoothie even comes in a green that can kind of remind me of my old Varsity.
    Or they have a blue ES that could nicely take the place of my LeMond.
    Yep. Maybe sell off the Kaitai and the Reno.
    Steel and carbon. What more do I need? Why aluminum? Why not more room in the garage?

But... that Soma. I am smitten. Maybe it won't be that much.

And here I thought it was a cute, poignant little story.

At the stage you are now at- I think you are past the Kaitai and possibly the Reno but It is nice to have the odd older bike around for when you are not doing the Century rides

Think about the Soma. Not conversant with the frame buts seems good but get a look and test ride on the Salsa's. That is one bike I have always been impressed with- but Given the choice now- I can find nothing wrong with the Giant TCR C. Except it does not quite come up to the standard of the Aluminium Boreas.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are such a bad influence. I was perfectly happy with my carbon bike, and now, all this talk about steel, and I'M shopping, too...

I'm thinking of selling my FS mountain bike that I never ride anymore, and getting a bike to ride around town, something to make grocery runs and such. A "just slap on the helmet and go" bike. I'm thinking maybe an LHT. Seems like Yen's experience has been good. But I'm with you, SKT, those Somas are pretty sweet!

If this keeps going, my wife will ban me from BF!

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate riding in cold, wet weather and applaud you for using common sense, as well as for having a sympathetic wife. (I'm hard-headed enough to have probably ridden home in misery and b*tched about it for the rest of the day.) Smart move.

As for a steel bike -- after seeing Bigbossman's gorgeous red Palo Alto, I'm smitten, but not enough to start shopping. That scares me.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.