Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Beautiful Carolina day for

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 04:30 PM
TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

riding. Departed around 1000. Temp around 65 with very little humidity under nothing but a Carolina blue sky. I followed a diffrent route today and ended up riding 35 miles by the time I returned home. My average was 16.8 mph, elasped time was 1 hour and 49 minutes. Lots of hills today, nothing very steep but some were really long inclines.

Tomorrow looks like a mirror image of today. You guessed it.

Anyone ride today? Jppe, Dguest?
Old 11-06-08, 06:47 PM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you enjoyed,,, glad you could, the wind here was gusty to 40 with dust thick enought to look like fog or smog... so i have to be content to get my exercize with the jump rope or whatever other activity sounds good.
Old 11-07-08, 09:16 PM
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two days in a row of pure peddling bliss. High of 79 yesterday and 77 today. Weekend will be deccent too but I'll be stuck in the ER. Monday's forcast high , a balmy 58. Could be worse. Lp
Old 11-07-08, 09:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope to join you up there soon. We are just about to start building a home in Waynesville. I keep hoping we can break ground while it is still warm enough for me to take my bike up and get some good rides in. Our primary home is in Florida, but I will try to take about 5 days off to go up when they start excavating and doing the basement. If you guys have highs in the 50's, I'll ride when I'm up there. Maybe in the high 40's. If it is colder than that, no way, Jose.

When does it get too cold to ride up there? I'm hoping not until January or February, and then not for long.

See you soon!
Old 11-08-08, 05:14 AM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spinz@50
riding. Departed around 1000. Temp around 65 with very little humidity under nothing but a Carolina blue sky. I followed a diffrent route today and ended up riding 35 miles by the time I returned home. My average was 16.8 mph, elasped time was 1 hour and 49 minutes. Lots of hills today, nothing very steep but some were really long inclines.

Tomorrow looks like a mirror image of today. You guessed it.

Anyone ride today? Jppe, Dguest?
Was at work all day yesterday, had to get a few items cleared up and off my desk. The Mrs and I are on vacation Starting right now, So we will be riding everyday that is nice enough. We are even planning a day on the Virginia creeper trail this coming week. Oh yeah I forgot we will also have to cut some firewood this week also but definatly will find the time to ride.
Old 11-08-08, 09:56 PM

Bikes: lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes it was but I didn't get to ride my daughter got married so I had other things to do.They leave in the morning for their honey moon so I will ride tommorrow.
Old 11-08-08, 10:05 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the weather in NC has been very nice and we have taken good advantage of it. A couple pics from today's ride.

Old 11-09-08, 05:54 AM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wife and I went to the Virginia Creeper yesterday. We left the house at around 9am, The weather channel said the weather in Damascus was wupposed to be mid 50's and sunny. When we arrived at the start of the trail, Of course we were dressed for 50=60 degree weather, it was mid 40;s and cloudy. we figured since we drove 120 miles to ride the trail we may as well ride. It was a great ride as far as the scenery went (will post pictures later today) but we froze our @$$e$ off. It never got out of the 40's and the sun never appeared. After we loaded the bikes back into the truck and started back down the mountain you could see as we crossed the line from Virginia into NC that the sky in NC was clear and sunny. Maybe we should have just stayed home and rode.
Old 11-09-08, 07:05 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dguest
Maybe we should have just stayed home and rode.
No way- getting out to different scenery and rides is great. Only mistake you made was not catering for the cold. Doesn't matter where I ride- If from home I do have the opportunity of putting the right clothing on- but If I travel out to somewhere- I have a car to take the extra jersey or a packable top coat that I can put on just in case it is cooler.

And my ride today was just down to the coast. 20 miles total but temp in the mid 50's- bit of rain in the air that did change to some VERY heavy showers but the reason to cut the ride to short was the wind. 40mph gusts from the South west. Made it hard on the way down but not requiring much effort to get home.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 11-09-08 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-09-08, 08:07 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Two days in a row of pure peddling bliss. High of 79 yesterday and 77 today. Weekend will be deccent too but I'll be stuck in the ER. Monday's forcast high , a balmy 58. Could be worse. Lp
Where the heck are you??? South of Raleigh it was awful. Try one of the worst cycling rides I've ever had. Mid 50's, drizzle turned to rain, very COLD rain. I learned something new yesterday. If your calves get soaked with cold rain and it's slightly windy, your legs muscles can't build up heat and my usually quick road bike was slowed to a grueling 8MPH on level ground. I actually got off the bike to see what was wrong with it (nothing of course!).
Glad you had a good ride Spinz@50, maybe I should have waited til later in the day.
Old 11-09-08, 10:42 AM
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where the heck are you???

Actually not far from you at all. Over in Asheboro. Lp
Old 11-09-08, 11:04 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Where the heck are you???

Actually not far from you at all. Over in Asheboro. Lp
Yup, that makes sense. The storms were moving to the east, so by the time you were beginning your ride in the nice weather, it was raining in Holly Springs.
Old 11-09-08, 02:09 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I ventured outdoors on 11/6 for my other vice-golf and it would agree it was just an incredible day. Friday was equally as nice but had work commitments. Saturday was also nice but quite not as warm and there was a little more wind. A group of 6 of us put in 65 miles-we would have gone longer but one of the folks came up with some stomach issues. Today I spent heading up the TT at the Speedway and shopping at the Bike Stampede-where The Grampster and PAlt were also spotted grabbing up several bargains.......I managed to find some deals on my style of shorts, a set of carbon dish wheels, Conti 4000's and some other stuff. Fortunately I was able to sell enough stuff in exchange to about make up for the cost.
Old 11-09-08, 03:25 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the Discover Anson event on Saturday, a nice 74 mile (advertised as 70) trek through some beautiful NC farmlands and countryside. There were two positive things about this ride which stick in my mind, the very low traffic and, the generally excellent condition of the tarmac (presumably due to low traffic). It made for some very nice riding. I don't think we saw more than about 10 to 15 vehicles the entire ride. About the only thing I can complain about was the wind, it was aggravating at times. But the last 15 miles back to town had it at our backs and we were sailing. Overall, a very enjoyable event.

Old 11-09-08, 03:38 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to go do that ride yesterday Neal, but the 4 hour drive each way is just too much for a day ride. Looks like a very nice ride. I did 35 miles today in just over 2 hours with 2600' of climbing on many of the roads we traveled during the Tour de Franklin.
Old 11-09-08, 05:51 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, 4 hours is a little much for one ride unless there is other reasons to make this trip. Unfortunately, in NC the distance between good Western and Eastern riding is about 4 hours. Not much way around it generally speaking.

At times the Anson ride reminded me of the Franklin area roads, just a bit flatter - less mountainous. Good picturesque landscapes though. In 74 miles, my Garmin registered close to 3K' of gain and I think this is pretty accurate. The elevation came from rollers, and there were quite a few, though they were typically soft in nature - ie., mild grades for longer distances. Overall it was a better ride than I had expected. It will be on the list for next year. Hope the weather is as nice.
Old 11-09-08, 07:13 PM
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anson county ----- my backyard. I am from Richmond county, right next door and the riding terrain is identical. The area around Ansonville is quite beautiful and as Neal said very low traffic. Nice pics. Lp