Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Interesting Post for the Day

Our local race team had try outs today -- a 3 mile time trial up a hill. I ride the hill several times a week but I haven't tried riding up it as fast as I can. I enjoy the scenery too much to blow by at high speed. Today was a different story.

Granted, this was a dog-and-pony show to show the team sponsors that we're really serious about qualifying our racers. Most of us are over 35, a good half-dozen over 50 (), and none of us (except our Fearless Leader, a former CAT 1/Pro) with more than a couple years' experience. In all there were about 15 of us -- including CGallagh, who didn't want to participate. Talk about guilt by association.

Several of us were perturbed that we had to try out at all, let alone in the off-season, with a few extra pounds and less fitness to carry around. Once we understood that it was to appease the sponsors it was easy to get that this was a mere benchmark for future reference.

It was the opposite of simplified biking. I watched my speedometer, I watched my HRM; one showed numbers too low for my liking, the other, numbers too high. My lungs ached, my quads burned, my eyes focused a few feet in front of the bike. My peripheral vision caught the herd of cattle combined with the herd of donkeys, all close to the road and watching dispassionately. I shifted up, pedaled faster, and wondered briefly what they thought.

The fastest man up the mountain was a really talented guy who loves to race. His time was 10 min. and change. I'm the oldest woman on the team and did it in 12:45. Second-fastest of the 5 women who rode it. And that's just fine by me. Secretly I was pleased that I was faster than some of the men, but I won't be resting on that laurel, because a few of them are seriously p*ssed about it. Hey, motivation is where you find it, right?

And that's my bike ride for the day -- 21 miles, 12+ minutes of pain, and a new PR. It doesn't get much better.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She smoked me by 1:28. I was just going along to support RR but someone (I wonder who that would be) signed me up. We rode over to the LBS and then out to the start, about 12 miles total. I was just planning on riding up the hill on my own when much to my surprise my name is called, you're up they said. Now what do you do? Try to make some sort of excuse and weasel out in front of everyone or step up and suck it up.

It was fun anyway but I am still not doing much serious racing no matter.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea how steep the hill is? Or the elevation gain?

If it was exactly 3 miles, you averaged a bit over 14 mph. Since I'm assuming it was more than just a slight slope, that sounds pretty good to me.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on a good time! Is the hill the whole 3 miles?

By off-season, do you mean that the racing club doesn't meet this time of year? I feel like our best riding season is just beginning now that cooler weather is here.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the profile:

We started just before mile 11, about 1/2 way up that uphill spike. We ended at the top. I was spent when I got there.

I admit, I enjoy doing repeats of this hill...I like a challenge.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it had been a relay, I would have been there waiting for the baton, just past the 14 mile marker.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Congrats on a good time! Is the hill the whole 3 miles?

By off-season, do you mean that the racing club doesn't meet this time of year? I feel like our best riding season is just beginning now that cooler weather is here.
    There are no scheduled road races, criteriums, time trials -- this is cyclo-cross season. So we have group rides, just not fast rides. This is considered time for base miles, which are long, slow (relatively) rides to build stamina. I don't have time for as many long rides as some of the experienced racers are doing, so I just do what I can do. It's still fun. And I much prefer riding in cooler weather.

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your racing prowess is probably just another day at the office for you, RR, but for many of us it's quite inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by cgallagh View Post
    Now what do you do? Try to make some sort of excuse and weasel out in front of everyone or step up and suck it up.
    I would have faked insanity...um...in my case, it ain't fakin'.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now what do you do? Try to make some sort of excuse and weasel out in front of everyone or step up and suck it up.
    My leg! MY LEG! Oh the PAIN!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She smoked me by 1:28. I was just going along to support RR but someone (I wonder who that would be) signed me up. We rode over to the LBS and then out to the start, about 12 miles total. I was just planning on riding up the hill on my own when much to my surprise my name is called, you're up they said. Now what do you do? Try to make some sort of excuse and weasel out in front of everyone or step up and suck it up.

It was fun anyway but I am still not doing much serious racing no matter.
    There is more to racing than getting on the bike- leave that to RR- she seems to like it in any case.

A good Pit Crew is worth its weight in Gold- just remind RR of that when she wants to get home after a wet race in the cold.

I have done a few Mountain bike races in the past- but just remember- For the top riders to be able to win- they have to beat other competitors. I have always put my bike racing skills in with the others.

And well done RR.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm with Tom..............the other side of the hill looks so much more appealing...

Congrats on smoking the guys.

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All in all it was fun to see how fast I could climb. It gives one a feeling of being alive while pushing yourself as hard as you can just to find where the bottom of your well really is. I am in no way into a midlife racing career at this time. I only just took up cycling 2 years ago last month.

Watching Red Rider and Velodiva pursue their racing careers was very exciting. I look forward to crewing next year. We will be racing a few Tandem TT's but no crits or road races for me. The next 6-7 months will require way to much time at work to complete our expansion project and I will have less and less time for the bike.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)