The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saddle, still trying to decide

Based on the information I've been getting here, I have narrowed down the selection.

However, while on yesterdays ride, I saw several riders, of about my size and weight, using this saddle.

http://www.cbike.com/index.asp?PageA...ROD&ProdID=787

Wonder if anyone here has experience with this saddle? And, if so. your comments both positive and negative.

TIA

Ed
    Last edited by Ed in GA; 11-09-08 at 12:02 PM.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple of friends who swear by that saddle.
    Every time I see that saddle, it reminds me of the Concorde.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several of the men in my bike club use the Selle SMT and I am leaning in that direction myself. I have only had a short time on one but one advantage besides the obvious is the nose doesn't hook on your bicycle shorts when you get back in the saddle after a stop.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    the nose doesn't hook on your bicycle shorts when you get back in the saddle after a stop.

I hate when that happens.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With 300,000 miles in the saddle riding tandem and singles,have never had my 'testicles squashed' . . .

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
    I have a couple of friends who swear by that saddle. ...
    How many of your friends swear at that saddle?

Actually, it should be a good saddle, but saddle fit, like shoe fit or helmet fit, is a highly personal issue. I won't ride anything other than either an old-school tensioned leather saddle or a modern one with some sort of perineal depresssion or slot.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Several of the men in my bike club use the Selle SMT and I am leaning in that direction myself. I have only had a short time on one but one advantage besides the obvious is the nose doesn't hook on your bicycle shorts when you get back in the saddle after a stop.
    I Have only ever caught MTB shorts on the saddle and I Now show off my Butt with tight lycra. Never happens with Lycra. And on the selle saddle- I would be "Post" off completely if I spent that much on a saddle and then didn't like it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I Have only ever caught MTB shorts on the saddle and I Now show off my Butt with tight lycra. Never happens with Lycra. And on the selle saddle- I would be "Post" off completely if I spent that much on a saddle and then didn't like it.
    Still happens now and then with my stock saddle on the Jamis. If I forget to lift before sitting down after a stop I sometimes just slide back and the nose of my saddle will catch on the chamois seam of my bibs and push them forward. Saddles like the SMT with the down-turned nose doesnít catch. Yes I tend to remember to lift higher to avoid that problem but the SMT takes that into consideration by design. I am also looking at the Selle SanMarcos Concor. It cost a bit less and from what I have heard Lance recommends it. Not that I can ride like Lance nor have I tried one yet. Of course no saddle is right for everyone but the SMT does provide those that are looking for no pressure on parts of the body we donít want pressure on the first day you ride one. And because you donít have to break it in they are often available for a try before you buy program. My LBS has such a program as do some internet sites.

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saddles are a very personal choice. You typically find just as many raves for a specific saddle, as you do extreme aversion.

My recommendation remains to purchase from a source that allow a trial period. More and more manufacturers and dealers are providing this service now. Specialized, Trek, Terry, etc all allow a 30-day trial. If a dealer doesn't allow it, then seek out another dealer or saddle. Those SMPs are pricey. I doubt that you will get much more than half the cost on fleabay.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure having all of us once again regurgitate our biases and preferences based on our limited experiences is just what you'll need to make the perfect saddle choice.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    Saddles are a very personal choice. You typically find just as many raves for a specific saddle, as you do extreme aversion.

My recommendation remains to purchase from a source that allow a trial period. More and more manufacturers and dealers are providing this service now. Specialized, Trek, Terry, etc all allow a 30-day trial. If a dealer doesn't allow it, then seek out another dealer or saddle. Those SMPs are pricey. I doubt that you will get much more than half the cost on fleabay.
    Good point. Like I said try before you buy seems like the best idea to me.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I'm sure having all of us once again regurgitate our biases and preferences based on our limited experiences is just what you'll need to make the perfect saddle choice.

Nope, not at all. Sometimes, what isn't said is the most important thing when making an inquiry.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up the Selle SMP on e-bay. With the MS 25% cashback, I got a new one for about $180.

Here's hoping....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Selle SMP Pro saddle. It has taken me a while to get used to it. I have around 900 miles on it but no ride over 35 miles yet. Based on the cost of these things I guess I was expecting it to feel like I was sitting on a pillow. Not 100% sold on it yet.
    Size matters

My Bikes
    madone 5.1, lemond croix de fer, fuji touring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tried it and found it didn't work for me. leather saddles, i.e. brooks b17 or selle an-atomica seem more comfortable on my 60 year old butt. i agree of finding a LBS that will allow you to try them out as the selle smt saddle is so expensive. i have tried many saddle brands/types and keep going back to leather.