Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Neil_B

* Dull Thread - The Historian Camps at French Creek

Last Sunday I rode an overnight camping trip in French Creek State Park. I got off to a late start, so I rode directly to the campsite, 15.5 miles away, instead of riding a scenic route of 26 miles I had planned. 1500 feet of climbing in those 15.5 miles. As usual, I took a ton of photos - the leaves peaked a few days ago, but there's still lots of color left, and we might have another full week before the color is gone. The only major problem is that I probably threw my front derailer out of whack after setting the bike down so I could get some photographs. But I was about three miles from home, so I just pedaled on my small ring rather than try to fix it along the highway. I also need to make some small adjustments to the trailer.

The temperature was about 40 degrees overnight, so I wasn't too cold. The air was very damp, however, which makes my joints creak. French Creek State Park is very rocky, so I had to search a bit for a good spot to pitch the tent.

As I mentioned, the ride featured 1500 feet of climbing. Well this morning I had 1500 feet of descending, one two mile stretch out of the park from the campsite, and another two mile stretch on Rt. 23. However, in the park you don't need to worry about 18 wheelers and flatbeds whizzing past you at 45 MPH.

Rt. 345 is roller after roller. Fortunately it's not that far to the park when instead of rollers I faced a long, long uphill on Park Road, with a small reprieve as I passed Hopewell Lake. Here's the crest of the worst one, on Pine Swamp Road.

As I entered the long uphill road to the campsite I saw a couple of hot air balloons passing overhead:

Setting up camp. The park rangers required all campers to display their site registration on the dashboard of their vehicle, and so I complied as best I could. I was the only bike tourist in the park that day.

The "no pet, no electric" tent site was far enough away from the loop of campsites that I didn't see any other campers. I woke up and the first thing I would see would be the forest; other campers would wake up and see over RVs. The only drawback for me was lugging the loaded bike back and forth down a rocky slope from the road.

Settled in for the night. On Tom Stormcrowe's advice I wore a cap to bed to help retain heat. The tent was pretty warm, and my sleeping bags even warmer. Again on Tom's advice I used a fleece sleeping bag liner, from Wal-mart, to add to the warmth of my 40 degree bag. The only drawback was that I felt 'tighter' than I normally do in a sleeping bag. Most of my camping has been done in summer months, and I've either slept with the bag unzipped, or on top of the bag.

For sleeping I wore a long sleeved cotton shirt (I don't own any long sleeve synthetics), synthetic long underwear, the cycling cap from Performance, and DeFeet wool "Blaze" socks. Since this was an overnight and I wasn't doing anything after setting up the tent aside from settling in for the night, I didn't bring 'regular' clothes aside for those intended for sleeping.

Since I was a distance from other campers, the only sounds I heard at night were the wind and leaves falling on the tent.

Breaking camp the next morning. Yes, I can get my jersey to close, thank you very much. I was just cooling off. The camp shower facilities were icky, and since I'm 16 miles from home, I decided to skip showering. I regretted my decision later, since I felt, and smelled, awful by the end of the ride.

Hopewell Lake the next morning. No tourists, just me and another camper, a Christian reading the Bible by the lake. We spoke for a few minutes while I was taking photos.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures!

I went on a 2 day bike trip last weekend also. This is a picture of my campsite
    Attached Images Attached Images
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful ride. Looks like you got in more climbing that I get in a year.

Neil_B
    More photos.

Intersection of PA bicycle routes "S" and "L" near Elverson, PA.

Pine Swamp Methodist Church, four miles from the campsite.

This tree on Rt. 23 couldn't make up its mind what color it should be.

Breakfast at Sonny's Quickstop on Monday morning.

It was so chilly that morning even the horses were bundled up. Chester and Berks Counties are known for horse raising. I passed four horse farms during the 16 mile ride.

"...in heaven it's always Autumn...." - John Donne

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Pictures!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics! Our bike club does a camping weekend at French Creek every year. Very cool being self-supporting with trailer. I need a wife and a truck to be self-supported. But our self-support includes 3 different sizes of dutch ovens.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice tour and pics, Historian. Beautiful countryside.

At least you had hot air balloons circling. I'm so fast, I usually have buzzards circling waiting for the inevitable.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics and a mini-education for those who don't do this type of riding. Thanks.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades