Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-09-08, 08:51 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Parted ways with some cycling friends today!

There was a Bike Swap Meet today in Charlotte and I took the opportunity to clean out my stuff. I took over a couple boxes of equipment and accessories and most of it found a good home. Included in the stash were a Garmin GPS, 2 sets of cranks, numerous saddles, saddle bags, carbon bottle cages, bar tape, cyclometers, a pair of carbon soles Sidi shoes and on and on. My buddies gave me a really hard time about the quantity of "unused stuff" I had but there was always a good story and reason behind each piece.......gifts, door prizes, etc.

Some of the used stuff had lots of stories to tell. I finally parted with my old reliable Ultegra triple crank.......it was on my first road bike and we learned to climb lots of hills together. I just wonder how long it's going to be before I'll need it back.........

And yeah, the money didn't hang around too long.......there were these carbon wheels on sale, bike shorts, Continental 4000 tires.........
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 08:57 PM   #2
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
What a great idea! Our "parts bin" is growing and I wonder if we'll ever need to recycle any of the items on any of our bikes, present or future.
Old 11-10-08, 04:55 PM   #3
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
Hey Joe,

I might have gone for those shoes, but I had already spent my allotment. It was great seeing you and the swap meet was excellent. My biggest score was a pair of CF bottle cages for $15 for the pair. Mia (the granddaughter in my Avatar) was thrilled with the medal you gave here.....she is still wearing it.

The Grampster
Old 11-10-08, 06:26 PM   #4
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Linear,
Gives a new meaning to recycle...glad you could score on both sides, allowing someone to get some good stuff and you in turn getting what you thought it was worth ...so you could get some good stuff.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 06:48 PM   #5
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Bikes:
Sounds like a good way to spend time and cash! Is the swap meet an annual event? Lp
Spinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 07:30 PM   #6
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinz@50 View Post
Sounds like a good way to spend time and cash! Is the swap meet an annual event? Lp
It has been-usually one of the first weekends in November-at the Speedway. I was surprised the activity was as brisk as it was this year.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 08:12 PM   #7
Louis

Bikes:
I would have scarfed up that crankset.

I wish there were some Bike Swap Meets in this area.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote